Yeah, if you use a Chevy bell housing. Or, make an adapter plate as seen on the 6.9/7.3 to take the tall Ford bell housing or a C-6. Then you would need to support the front of the motor because thats where the 404 was supported. It would probably be easier to fab motor mounts coming out of the frame to match the 454.

On 4/3/2019 at 7:57 PM, 78'loadstar1700 said:

I'm looking to see if anybody has ever put in a chevy 454 / big block in a loadstar? Would it bolt up to the in tranny?

Find a chevy trans or bell housing. 350 and  454 were front supported in truck. There are 4 bolt holes next to timing cover for mount. Your best bet would to buy wrecked truck parts

Why not just use the 454 and a 4L80 GM transmission.  I'll bet with the low truck rear-end ratio it would work fine.

We have that combination in a 8600# GVW K2500. It is not short on power with a 4.10 RE. but it's empty weight is only 6900#. Downside would be no PTO possible on the pickup automatic. . Moving to the redesigned 454 in 92 with the 4L80E it would be ECM controlled and TBI.

if you want a GM BB chevy truck motor it would have to be a 366 or 427 engine. Don't believe that GM ever put a 454 in a medium duty. The 366/427 bell would make the connection to an sae bell allowing the truck allison to be used on it. If you gotta have  the IHC origional tranny.. Not positive but don't believe the 366 bell will bolt a 454 block without an adapter plate.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:57 PM, 78'loadstar1700 said:

I'm looking to see if anybody has ever put in a chevy 454 / big block in a loadstar? Would it bolt up to the in tranny?

I think you would want the 427 truck engine instead. they were a real work horse. plus had the governor on distributor. 4 bbl holley carb. 

On 5/11/2019 at 2:38 PM, oleman said:

Why not just use the 454 and a 4L80 GM transmission.  I'll bet with the low truck rear-end ratio it would work fine.

We have that combination in a 8600# GVW K2500. It is not short on power with a 4.10 RE. but it's empty weight is only 6900#. Downside would be no PTO possible on the pickup automatic. . Moving to the redesigned 454 in 92 with the 4L80E it would be ECM controlled and TBI.

if you want a GM BB chevy truck motor it would have to be a 366 or 427 engine. Don't believe that GM ever put a 454 in a medium duty. The 366/427 bell would make the connection to an sae bell allowing the truck allison to be used on it. If you gotta have  the IHC origional tranny.. Not positive but don't believe the 366 bell will bolt a 454 block without an adapter plate.

Chevy had 454 available in 82 or 85 timeframe in a c 50 or 60. I am pretty sure 366 427 454 bell for trucks would interchange. But don’t quote me it has been a while. I know ny truck sales buddy had a super nice Chevy once.454 with a 5 2 and 2 rear end. It had another 2 speed box behind main trans. All factory to it had 18;000 miles. When he had it

The MV engines were introduced  around 1980.  I clearly  recall their marketing dialog  " why a new gas engine in today's market" IMO to get a smog engine for the school bus market.   BUT the school market and all medium duties went toward diesels all during the 80's so very limited distribution of the engine.  With almost no installed base the engine was abandoned by IHC as a lost cause very quickly in what would have been a 20 + year run like the SV engine that ran from 1959 to 1983 or so.  IHC bet the farm on the 6.9 FORD/IHC super-lite duty v/8 diesel and a more respectable DT466/360 for the medium market.  There was basically  NOTHING wrong with the design of the MV series, just victim of poor planning, an engine family with no vehicle to put it in. So now, in 2019 with support absolutely terrible it is a perfect engine to be left where-ever it is.

The MV was built from 1974 thru 1984.

19 hours ago, Howard_P said:

The MV was built from 1974 thru 1984.

Good to hear from you.  I thought you would correct me and you saved me the trouble of fact checking.

Sorry ill rephrase that what happened to the OPs 404 that he is lookin to switch lol

Just planning for the future thats all. Nothing going bad with motor yet but you never know. Looking at my options for a motor with part easier to get. I'm even looking at maybe diesal. I hear the easiest would be a 3208

4 hours ago, 78'loadstar1700 said:

Just planning for the future thats all. Nothing going bad with motor yet but you never know. Looking at my options for a motor with part easier to get. I'm even looking at maybe diesal. I hear the easiest would be a 3208

I have a couple 3208 cats sitting here somewhere in the shed.  

Make you a deal .

i even have a 3126 

low hours on em

16 minutes ago, 78'loadstar1700 said:

How much ?I have a guy I know that has a 3208 thats on the newer side.

PM sent

larry

On 6/1/2019 at 1:05 PM, oleman said:

The MV engines were introduced  around 1980.  I clearly  recall their marketing dialog  " why a new gas engine in today's market" IMO to get a smog engine for the school bus market.   BUT the school market and all medium duties went toward diesels all during the 80's so very limited distribution of the engine.  With almost no installed base the engine was abandoned by IHC as a lost cause very quickly in what would have been a 20 + year run like the SV engine that ran from 1959 to 1983 or so.  IHC bet the farm on the 6.9 FORD/IHC super-lite duty v/8 diesel and a more respectable DT466/360 for the medium market.  There was basically  NOTHING wrong with the design of the MV series, just victim of poor planning, an engine family with no vehicle to put it in. So now, in 2019 with support absolutely terrible it is a perfect engine to be left where-ever it is.

There was a fair share of the 404 446 engines in trucks up here. The 6.9 is somewhat a copy of the mv series.