McCormick O4 Project

Wow four months and no updates, time does fly with all the chaos, kids and changing jobs.

Working on and have completed many small repairs but no real big items. Finally had it out and about under its own power this past weekend. This is hands down the smoothest and quietest running one in the collection. 

Now the bad, I messed up something during the transmission reassembly or the differential is toast. This one was not running or driving prior to tear down so I don't have a baseline for its normal transmission sound. After driving it for a while, going through the gears, right turns, left turns, holding individual brakes I have ruled out the gear set side. Sounds and feels the worse making a left tun with light brake pressure applied. So I am thinking its a bad differential, or I messed up setting up the ring and pinion after replacing the broken left bull pinion carrier. I expected some noise after resetting the ring and pinion backlash but not growling and vibrating. 

Ohh well, live, learn, fix, hopefully don't repeat, move on to the next lesson.

4C4A9A86-5C3A-4939-9D5D-D8D42986E2F4.jpeg

5642DFE9-E884-40B7-84B3-A56691C9F83D.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Getting ready, finally, to start surgery on the rear fenders. This is going to take some patients and a lot of mig wire. 

DEE321BF-4194-474A-BC13-128419347F77.jpeg

86BB87C3-7163-48C7-AF3E-FD82B30965BE.jpeg

7239D189-4478-4779-A5E3-EFA8FCEE0F08.jpeg

D1401B9F-2C9B-4612-9177-777C986101CC.jpeg

36884DFC-31A9-4CC2-9EEB-3889ACE8B0BC.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
23 hours ago, B.B. said:

Anything new to report?  :)

unfortunately no, other than I have all of the patch pieces cutout, formed and bought the welding supplied. Last year at this time we knew we were going to be moving in the fall of 2021, also needed the summer free to help my parents build their new place so we could move. Ended up spending the rest of the winter packing, sorting, preping, and purging beforehand so it would be easier when we were ready in the fall. Im glad we did because we ended up moving 4 houses in total getting everyone resettled.

Should be getting back to it soon as I finish getting the shop setup and find where I put everything. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, how wonderful.  Perhaps In 2022 I will finally start the real hard work on my 1941 O-4 that I bought in 2016.  Lots of what you have described or shown in photos is very familiar!

I grew up working on a family farm and drove an O-4 for hundreds of hours a year from 1967-1977.  I was very fortunate to find the one I bought, as it came with quite a bit of the sheet metal.  Thrashed but a great starting point.  It runs fairly well, so I have not even tried to explore the engine or transmission.  

2017-09-19 de (3).JPG

• Like 2