Vise

Finney

8 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Here is one I've been going to post a pic of for quite a while. Laying outside at a local repair shop, think he welded it back together. Makes one wonder how someone could break something like this.

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

Some people can break almost anything. I have a very large Athol (became Starret) vise that I purchased broken.  It looks like it had been on the bottom of a lake....  I soak it down with oil every so often for good luck 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 3:06 PM, Finney said:

Broken Wilton bullet. Must have been a bad casting. Didn't have much pressure on it when it broke. I will braze it this summer and use it for light work.

IMG_2268.JPG

LIFETIME WARRENTY

Here is my Reed Prentis 4C.  It weighs about 120 lbs.  I paid $25 for it a few years ago.  The rotating base was broken, so I brazed it and mounted on a piece of 3/8 plate for support.  It is so tall I bolted some angle iron to the front of my bench to lower it down, and put a 2" x 1/4" steel leg under it that is bolted to the concrete floor.  I haven't been able to break that mount loose yet!  The second picture shows a 2.5 gallon oil jug in front of it for scale!  You can see the hole for the grub screw I was talking about on the side of the vise next to the handle.  If you back that out you can adjust the amount of backlash in the screw by tightening or loosening the ring around the shaft of the screw behind the handle.1661194983_Vise1.jpg.a0c9a28deb64451c3882a7f06ba2702d.jpg

Vise 2.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Here is my Reed Prentis 4C.  It weighs about 120 lbs.  I paid $25 for it a few years ago.  The rotating base was broken, so I brazed it and mounted on a piece of 3/8 plate for support.  It is so tall I bolted some angle iron to the front of my bench to lower it down, and put a 2" x 1/4" steel leg under it that is bolted to the concrete floor.  I haven't been able to break that mount loose yet!  The second picture shows a 2.5 gallon oil jug in front of it for scale!  You can see the hole for the grub screw I was talking about on the side of the vise next to the handle.  If you back that out you can adjust the amount of backlash in the screw by tightening or loosening the ring around the shaft of the screw behind the handle.1661194983_Vise1.jpg.a0c9a28deb64451c3882a7f06ba2702d.jpg

Vise 2.jpg

I see the grub screw now.  Mine is open underneath where you can access that screw from the bottom of the jaw.  I cleaned all that up yesterday. Very clean and tight now. The acme threaded shaft has a hole for the grub screw on the one of mine. Through the threaded collar into the shaft. Pretty solid. ??

Had time today to get a handle on things ?.

The original was bent and missing an end. I had another piece of 7/8” round that I used for the new handle. For the ends I found a couple 1-1/2” ball bearings. They went into the forge to patina them some. I didn’t want the shine of a chrome finish. I brought them up to heat and let them cool slowly in the forge before welding on end on and cleaning things up a little. You NEVER want to weld the second ball on before installing on the vise. I did that to one years ago ??‍♂️  It got some linseed oil while it was hot to protect and color it some. Welds were heated with forge/torch to take the shine away. I’m not looking to hide anything, just want it to look similar instead of new and shine vs old and dull. 

ED4A1B80-D8F4-4D8D-A7D4-7E421D247A91.jpeg

34070AE9-ABF9-4584-80A0-7505F231C037.jpeg

18B79764-38C7-4105-A0D8-4532DB8C95A7.jpeg

03D83AD3-262E-4E9D-AB53-9D96B9FF51E3.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I knew that new forge had balls!!!  LOL!  i could not resist!  nice job as usual!

Thanks!  

2B419B04-FD7A-4549-BB6B-3E2DFBF5839D.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

http://www.orcan.com/about-orcan.htm

Could be an early one of these, which they still make. From what I can tell they pioneered the rear moving jaw design.

Those look interesting. The one you pictured would probably be strong and clean up nice. That German engineering runs smooth I’ll bet. ?

1 minute ago, Sledgehammer said:

Those look interesting. The one you pictured would probably be strong and clean up nice. That German engineering runs smooth I’ll bet. ?

After more looking, it seems Boley out of Germany was perhaps the beginning of the rear moving jaw. Also some Swiss manufacturers. Orcan had a German engineer when they started in 78. These may be common in Germany. I've learned a lot about something I never knew existed before today.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

After more looking, it seems Boley out of Germany was perhaps the beginning of the rear moving jaw. Also some Swiss manufacturers. Orcan had a German engineer when they started in 78. These may be common in Germany. I've learned a lot about something I never knew existed before today.

I have seen the backwards moving jaws before but never looked into the origins.