Jump to content

Vise


Finney

Recommended Posts

On 3/31/2019 at 3:06 PM, Finney said:

Broken Wilton bullet. Must have been a bad casting. Didn't have much pressure on it when it broke. I will braze it this summer and use it for light work.

IMG_2268.JPG

LIFETIME WARRENTY

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is my Reed Prentis 4C.  It weighs about 120 lbs.  I paid $25 for it a few years ago.  The rotating base was broken, so I brazed it and mounted on a piece of 3/8 plate for support.  It is so tall I bolted some angle iron to the front of my bench to lower it down, and put a 2" x 1/4" steel leg under it that is bolted to the concrete floor.  I haven't been able to break that mount loose yet!  The second picture shows a 2.5 gallon oil jug in front of it for scale!  You can see the hole for the grub screw I was talking about on the side of the vise next to the handle.  If you back that out you can adjust the amount of backlash in the screw by tightening or loosening the ring around the shaft of the screw behind the handle.1661194983_Vise1.jpg.a0c9a28deb64451c3882a7f06ba2702d.jpg

Vise 2.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Here is my Reed Prentis 4C.  It weighs about 120 lbs.  I paid $25 for it a few years ago.  The rotating base was broken, so I brazed it and mounted on a piece of 3/8 plate for support.  It is so tall I bolted some angle iron to the front of my bench to lower it down, and put a 2" x 1/4" steel leg under it that is bolted to the concrete floor.  I haven't been able to break that mount loose yet!  The second picture shows a 2.5 gallon oil jug in front of it for scale!  You can see the hole for the grub screw I was talking about on the side of the vise next to the handle.  If you back that out you can adjust the amount of backlash in the screw by tightening or loosening the ring around the shaft of the screw behind the handle.1661194983_Vise1.jpg.a0c9a28deb64451c3882a7f06ba2702d.jpg

Vise 2.jpg

I see the grub screw now.  Mine is open underneath where you can access that screw from the bottom of the jaw.  I cleaned all that up yesterday. Very clean and tight now. The acme threaded shaft has a hole for the grub screw on the one of mine. Through the threaded collar into the shaft. Pretty solid. ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had time today to get a handle on things ?.

The original was bent and missing an end. I had another piece of 7/8” round that I used for the new handle. For the ends I found a couple 1-1/2” ball bearings. They went into the forge to patina them some. I didn’t want the shine of a chrome finish. I brought them up to heat and let them cool slowly in the forge before welding on end on and cleaning things up a little. You NEVER want to weld the second ball on before installing on the vise. I did that to one years ago ??‍♂️  It got some linseed oil while it was hot to protect and color it some. Welds were heated with forge/torch to take the shine away. I’m not looking to hide anything, just want it to look similar instead of new and shine vs old and dull. 

ED4A1B80-D8F4-4D8D-A7D4-7E421D247A91.jpeg

34070AE9-ABF9-4584-80A0-7505F231C037.jpeg

18B79764-38C7-4105-A0D8-4532DB8C95A7.jpeg

03D83AD3-262E-4E9D-AB53-9D96B9FF51E3.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

http://www.orcan.com/about-orcan.htm

Could be an early one of these, which they still make. From what I can tell they pioneered the rear moving jaw design.

Those look interesting. The one you pictured would probably be strong and clean up nice. That German engineering runs smooth I’ll bet. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sledgehammer said:

Those look interesting. The one you pictured would probably be strong and clean up nice. That German engineering runs smooth I’ll bet. ?

After more looking, it seems Boley out of Germany was perhaps the beginning of the rear moving jaw. Also some Swiss manufacturers. Orcan had a German engineer when they started in 78. These may be common in Germany. I've learned a lot about something I never knew existed before today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

After more looking, it seems Boley out of Germany was perhaps the beginning of the rear moving jaw. Also some Swiss manufacturers. Orcan had a German engineer when they started in 78. These may be common in Germany. I've learned a lot about something I never knew existed before today.

I have seen the backwards moving jaws before but never looked into the origins. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...
28 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Another odd ball vise from Clist.  Any ideas on how this might work? 

00e0e_6WsVpkyzKsAz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Looks like it will rotate up on an axis and can be used vertically vs the normal horizontal position. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2019 at 6:10 PM, yellowrosefarm said:

Here is one I forgot I had. I found it cleaning out one of the sheds the other day.  The front jaw is adjustable outward by pulling the pin/bolt under the fixed jaw. I bought it at an auction many moons ago.

vice anvil 002.JPG

In September of last year i was at a swap meet in Davenport Iowa. I watched a guy unload  this anvil vice from his truck, set it on the ground in front of me and before i could kneel down to look at it another guy said how much for the vice , owner said $1000.00. He said i will take it. 
 

5F3ADD11-0CD5-402F-BC7C-081EDC6109C1.thumb.jpeg.f523af07ba1945cd92aec4f91b11268e.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

In September of last year i was at a swap meet in Davenport Iowa. I watched a guy unload  this anvil vice from his truck, set it on the ground in front of me and before i could kneel down to look at it another guy said how much for the vice , owner said $1000.00. He said i will take it. 
 

5F3ADD11-0CD5-402F-BC7C-081EDC6109C1.thumb.jpeg.f523af07ba1945cd92aec4f91b11268e.jpeg

Now, that's unique.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

In September of last year i was at a swap meet in Davenport Iowa. I watched a guy unload  this anvil vice from his truck, set it on the ground in front of me and before i could kneel down to look at it another guy said how much for the vice , owner said $1000.00. He said i will take it. 
 

5F3ADD11-0CD5-402F-BC7C-081EDC6109C1.thumb.jpeg.f523af07ba1945cd92aec4f91b11268e.jpeg

Yep. They made a couple styles of those. Not worth anywhere near $1000 in my opinion but it’s just my opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my favorite vise. Tiny little tool made in England. I got it from a ma and pa shop in Thailand in 1968 for $12 US.  For many years it was my only mounted vise.  The brass soft jaws are Youst.  It has been used mostly for small electrical electronics projects going all the way back to when I still worked with vacuum tubes.

My big rusty, dirty, Chinese vise is in my garage, this little gem has its own spot on the electronics work bench. Mostly used to hold connectors to be soldered or most recently holding on to cables so I can crimp on connectors.

 

 

 

 

IMG_3710.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a guy ask me about some blacksmithing stuff at work one night and he was looking for a post vise. Nice fella with a family and is a veteran. I offered him a piece of my private stock only because he wanted one to use.   Nice Iron City example I picked up at a sale and refurbished a bit. 

 

 

843A8879-CB01-4440-AC4B-9FE36F12112A.jpeg

0EEB9F19-5E1C-4710-B972-20C09E3E62BC.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMG_20211222_151015_7.thumb.jpg.9a478d00455e60ac417a24898e19beef.jpgi

I shared this one before in a different post and forgot there was a vice thread so here it is again, I didn't want on the bed all the time so I made a stand to go in the stake pocket them when I get done I pull it out and store it in the box with the door open, i was afraid the vice was a tad to small but now I've used it I'm glad I got it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have begun collecting vises made here in Oswego County, NY. I have a bench vise and two pipe vises made by Oswego Tool Company. Awaiting their turn for restoration.

 

 

KIMG2498.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, KWRB said:

I have begun collecting vises made here in Oswego County, NY. I have a bench vise and two pipe vises made by Oswego Tool Company. Awaiting their turn for restoration.

 

 

KIMG2498.JPG

That’s cool to have local stuff. We don’t have much of anything like that around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...