Vise

Finney

I got a vise today from a guy who deals in lathes and mills. it has 5" jaws and will open to 8" and weighs around 80lbs.

Their is one supposedly coming up for sale next month at the big Amish sale that weighs 350-400lbs. They tried to sell it last year and didn't let it go. The top bid was $1,015.00. After the sale I offered the guy $1,100.00 and he wouldn't take it. I don't need it but I want it.

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

• Like 1

Those Reed vises are good. I have a couple of American vises also. If I could get the big one I believe I would drive a piece of 6" pipe as deep as possible outside the shop to mount it on.

• Like 1

I've been wanting an Oswego Tool Company vise for some time now. I live near Oswego NY and there is no manufacturing left around here. It's cool to have locally made stuff to remind me that there used to be industry here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

I've been wanting an Oswego Tool Company vise for some time now. I live near Oswego NY and there is no manufacturing left around here. It's cool to have locally made stuff to remind me that there used to be industry here.

I have never seen one of these, will keep my eye out.

3 hours ago, kevinj said:

Nice vise. I have a smaller Prentiss with swivel base & a Reed that is just about like yours.

2017-12-16 17.39.40.jpg

2018-12-16 11.06.38.jpg

Reeds for your needs 

I picked up this Rock Island 192 a while back for a spare. When I really need a vise my go-to is a post leg vise I have mounted to the floor. Made to beat on. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. 

55C00FC6-9861-4A8A-8B17-1E00BC9D4E89.jpeg

07A77AA6-5CD7-4E1C-965C-C0286E80977A.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Here is ours in all its messy glory.  Army surplus Simplex 8” jaws.

4F0A4FFD-192D-4242-8EA1-5E8D441F678E.jpeg

9792AB65-8387-4682-843B-6E97A8D1A11C.jpeg

Ment to quote you I've got the 12 inch.

I do like vises! My wife says I have too many, I told her you never can. After some reflection she may be right but I’m not letting any of them go.... I’ll see if I can post pics of some of them. 

9 hours ago, superih said:

I ponied up the money for a new Wilton last year, wow what a great tool, holds tight and stays tight, amazing what I've been missing all these years!

IMG_20180403_220801402.jpg

Exactly, like most tools, you don't know what you're missing until you get a good one. Not trying to start a vice brand war here, but it's like anything, when you buy quality versus worn out/ new Asian junk the high quality is always nicer/ safer to use. 

My late Uncle Robert always had a giant vice, he could get them for free or at scrap metal price in the early 50's in the South Eastern US. He liked to mount his on a 40" dia  red oak stump-cut.

Today, since all the cheap good ones are gone the price is what it is.

I am always on the lookout for a good old "Uncle Robert vice" but ain't going to put $1000. into it.

Broken Wilton bullet. Must have been a bad casting. Didn't have much pressure on it when it broke. I will braze it this summer and use it for light work.

IMG_2268.JPG

• Like 2