bankshotone

Found broken gear teeth in 1486 hyd oil, help!

Went to rebuild the pto in the 1486  and when we drained the oil there were 2 teeth obstructing the drain hole. After we got the pto out we found  5 more. Reverse had a clunk to it when backing up. What do I need to do to find the problem?

Thanks

20190323_121325.jpg

20190323_121334.jpg

You need to take the reverse gear cover off. It's the one behind the auxiliary fuel tank.

1 minute ago, randy hall said:

You need to take the reverse gear cover off. It's the one behind the auxiliary fuel tank.

I assume you mean on the side if the transmission? In other words takeout the fuel tank?

Thanks

You can also pull the floor and take the range cover off, but be sure to block the park pawl so that you do NOT break the range cover.

Chances are that someone committed the cardinal sin of International Harvesters and put the tractor in “Park” while moving.  It happens and it is not an easy or cheap fix.  Split the tractor and strip the transmission and finals, then reassemble.

But first verify that you need to do the Park-Reverse gear.

16 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

You can also pull the floor and take the range cover off, but be sure to block the park pawl so that you do NOT break the range cover.

Chances are that someone committed the cardinal sin of International Harvesters and put the tractor in “Park” while moving.  It happens and it is not an easy or cheap fix.  Split the tractor and strip the transmission and finals, then reassemble.

But first verify that you need to do the Park-Reverse gear.

This sounds serious.... I have never been into an 86 this far. I can see the transmission needing to be stripped but why the finals? Do they just need removed to remove the differential?

The reverse idler is the last thing to come out of the main case.

48 minutes ago, bankshotone said:

This sounds serious.... I have never been into an 86 this far. I can see the transmission needing to be stripped but why the finals? Do they just need removed to remove the differential?

Unfortunately the reverse gear is on the pinion shaft. Hence the axles have to come off and the differential has to come out.

That is why I VERY STRONGLY recommend doing a THOROUGH diagnosis before proceeding.  If the Range transmission or final d iv needs ANYTHING this is the time to do it.  Also take a look at the countershaft nut on the Speed transmission to make sure that it cannot back off since you are that far in.

Yes, you just need to remove the finals, strip them off the tractor, not strip the finals themselves. Unless you want to replace axle bearings or find other damage while you're exploring.

That is not good, but exactly what we all knew you would find. Only thing worse is when you have had one far enough apart to fix that and didn't because it appeared perfect. Then drain the Hy Tran for something else and get the plop plop of teeth in the bucket. Then you can do it all again. Parts aren't so bad, but the labor is huge. 

Been thier done that 2 times on dads 14 do to hired help! First time sent to our dealer who is good fast and decent shop time came back with 6000 bill! Second time we pulled the rear end out from under the tractor hauled the rear end and transmission down to the dealer to go through it! Bill was like 15 to 1800 cant remember! So 3000+ savings to do it ourselves in about 15 to 20 hours total was great! I wanted to do it all dad said no his tractor his money so yep! 

13 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

That is not good, but exactly what we all knew you would find. Only thing worse is when you have had one far enough apart to fix that and didn't because it appeared perfect. Then drain the Hy Tran for something else and get the plop plop of teeth in the bucket. Then you can do it all again. Parts aren't so bad, but the labor is huge. 

Yep or when you buy a tractor that had all that done recently only for it to happen again because of poor workmanship

12 hours ago, Gleaner k2 said:

Been thier done that 2 times on dads 14 do to hired help! First time sent to our dealer who is good fast and decent shop time came back with 6000 bill! Second time we pulled the rear end out from under the tractor hauled the rear end and transmission down to the dealer to go through it! Bill was like 15 to 1800 cant remember! So 3000+ savings to do it ourselves in about 15 to 20 hours total was great! I wanted to do it all dad said no his tractor his money so yep! 

When dad bought our 1486 it just had a $14000 work order done to it. Didn't last 500 hours and we got to do it all again because they cheaped out and wouldn't spend a couple hundred bucks more on linkages 

I don't know when the change took place but there are 2 springs for the park lock pawl. You definately want the weaker spring. It didn't cure the problem but it helped.