Sign in to follow this  
brewcrew

Lightweight semi tractor?

My boss is trying to put the semi on a diet. I’m currently hauling corn and byproducts in a belt trailer behind a T800 with Eaton auto shift and sleeper, weighing about 32,500 empty. He has it stuck in his head that auto transmissions are the greatest thing ever, so I think that’s weight we’re just gonna have. He’s looking at a hopper which should save a bunch of weight over the belt. But what other ways are there to spec a truck lighter? Right now he’s talking Cascadia Daycab. Is that the lightest truck out there? How much weight would the auto shift add vs a ten speed manual? Personally I’d go manual, skip the pto and wet kit (he’s got three trucks so one could be dedicated to non belt trailer uses) and maximize payload. But I’m not the boss so all I can do is suggest. Thanks

I've had kind of the same thoughts looking at our trucks since more and more of our grain is going further away.  Our two haulers are 05' Pete 379s with sleepers.  One pulls a triple axle Wilson weighing about 32,000 and the other pulls a 40ft steel trailer weighing around 31,000.  Our next semis are not going to have sleepers if I can help it.  Not just for weight savings but to make it easier to work on stuff back there and to eliminate the extra HAVC.  Will probably just have to put tags on them to gain any real legal capacity.   

28 minutes ago, new guy said:

Buy a pre emissions truck and save 1000#

What vintage do you describe as pre emissions?

5 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

aluminum rims and super singles??

X2, i was thinking this too.

We have a day cab 96 ford 9501 n14 Cummins 10 speed steel 38 ft hopper 26 600lbs Half full off fuel.  A t 800 though is a nice truck

25 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

aluminum rims and super singles??

Our Wilson has super singles and we rented a truck once with supers.  No way would I want them again on anything we buy in the future.  The local truck jockey converts any semi they get in to duals in order to sell them.  

A guy I know began his own trucking business about three years ago.  His goal was profit, pure and simple.  He wanted a new warranty to minimize Tier-4 emission surprises and the most efficient yet trouble-free engine.  He bought a Cascadia day cab to be as light & efficient as possible.  I think he has a DD13 w/ 470-hp but I don't remember what transmission.  No chrome, horizontal exhaust, super singles with aluminum rims.  He is happy with it and ordered a second truck as his business is expanding.  Same truck, just with a small sleeper for when he gets tied up at warehouses.

2 hours ago, new guy said:

Buy a pre emissions truck and save 1000#

Or a Navistar with 2004-2010 MF13.

Dump the front drive axle and power divider and put a lift axle there. 

40 minutes ago, 65806 said:

Lean cuisine for the driver?

just kidding. 

Are you calling me fat??!!!!! Lol I add a mere 200 on a truck scale. Bathroom scales may vary!

• Haha 1

Aluminum rims,22.5 low pro rubber,aluminum trailers,manual tarps,small block diesels,smaller fuel tanks, the list goes on forever. I wouldnt buy a freightliner unless it was new and i was gonna trade it before  1 million miles. You can spec any breed truck light. I drove a w9 KW that had a c12 daycab 10 gear about 250 to 260" wb pulling a spring ride timpte hopper. I could haul 26t all day in it. Woulda been even lighter with a more modern air ride trailer. That truck had no wet kit.

Truck guy up here used to get t660 or 600 kenworths from down south. 18 inch sleeper molded onto cab m11 or c12 cats light 10 speed. These were fuel transport trucks out of a fleet light as possible to haul the most.

We run daycab Mack’s at work. 360 hp Mack motor 10 speed 190 wb with 40 foot aluminum air ride trailers. Combination weighs right at 24,000. We have a guy that comes in with a 46 foot triaxle cornhusker and a 07 9200 with a c12 and a 10 speed super singles all the way around weighs 25,000. It is bare bones. 

3 hours ago, brewcrew said:

What vintage do you describe as pre emissions?

2003 or older is pre emission 

We have Columbia day cab gliders at work they are pretty light not sure exactly on the weight though