IH 1456 vs Pecan Tree

Long Farms

13 minutes ago, bitty said:

Probably cousin Vinny special they are poured concrete like the shoes cousin Vinny makes ....

They sure look rusty like they are cast?   

I can't believe they got it to run, I'm never that lucky! 

12 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Nice find though!! I can’t believe how many 1456’s you have rescued down there!!! I can’t seem to find things like that in our area, and if I did, the owner would still want new price!! 

Some of it is right place, right time, and some is doing your homework and being ready to pull the trigger when an opportunity presents itself.  Brian has a knack for both. 

I've shared these pictures with him of a similar opportunity in Maple Lake, MN.  Salvage price, and serial number wasn't looked at until it was drug home.  Harder to find up north, but still out there.  It does run, and some day I will start another thread so as not to further interrupt this one.  

Keep dragging them home and bringing them back to life!

Screenshot_20181226-131747_Samsung_Internet.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SMiller said:

You have not been to Texas huh?

you saying that Texans are so well off that they can just walk away from a $5-8k tractor?

• Haha 1

Nice find, good thing you found and saved it. 

Sounds like it runs pretty good. Did you have to do much to get it running, sitting as is? 

9 hours ago, ny bill o said:

you saying that Texans are so well off that they can just walk away from a $5-8k tractor?

That is exactly what I am saying, I go a couple time a year and they are all over down there. IHOutlaw has done a great job of scooping the good ones up along the way but still a ton of them down there.

14 hours ago, Dmnstr8r said:

Some of it is right place, right time, and some is doing your homework and being ready to pull the trigger when an opportunity presents itself.  Brian has a knack for both. 

I've shared these pictures with him of a similar opportunity in Maple Lake, MN.  Salvage price, and serial number wasn't looked at until it was drug home.  Harder to find up north, but still out there.  It does run, and some day I will start another thread so as not to further interrupt this one.  

Keep dragging them home and bringing them back to life!

Screenshot_20181226-131747_Samsung_Internet.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

Lucky you!!!??   I’m about an hour and a half from Maple Lake!! Guess I need to browse Craigslist more often?!

• Haha 1

So...he know he has something but....they float around.  Like old cars.  Since the WWW we found all sortsa "only 2 of them" in barns and warehouses.  I have seen "Barn find hunter" on youtube find in 2 years 4 or 5 winger Chryslers in old sheds.  Xke jags and split window vettes.  But anyway heres a new project...

https://spokane.craigslist.org/grd/d/colbert-international-tractors/6813867185.html

5 hours ago, SMiller said:

That is exactly what I am saying, I go a couple time a year and they are all over down there. IHOutlaw has done a great job of scooping the good ones up along the way but still a ton of them down there.

Well off, or so broke that they can't afford to have it fixed, so it sits.

A lot of auctions I've attended over the years, you could tell that the farmer just kept going until he ran out of operable tractors.

On edit: Oh that's right, you don't need the bolster to mount a narrow front!

Just now, Matt Kirsch said:

A lot of auctions I've attended over the years, you could tell that the farmer just kept going until he ran out of operable tractors.

Yep....   Seen that too.   I've always wondered though if they just didn't want to put any more money back in them, were incapable of the repairs, or just too ornery to care!  

The neglect some equipment has seen is amazing.  

Just now, B.B. said:

Yep....   Seen that too.   I've always wondered though if they just didn't want to put any more money back in them, were incapable of the repairs, or just too ornery to care!  

The neglect some equipment has seen is amazing.  

It's not neglect when you open your wallet and moths fly out. It's a matter of doing your best to get the job done with what you have and praying to God that you don't have any breakdowns or disasters that put you out of business.

I know, I know, just give it up and sell out, right? It's not that easy when the land has been in your family for generations or it's the only thing you know. You struggle to hold on until someone forcibly takes it from you...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

It's not neglect when you open your wallet and moths fly out. It's a matter of doing your best to get the job done with what you have and praying to God that you don't have any breakdowns or disasters that put you out of business.

I know, I know, just give it up and sell out, right? It's not that easy when the land has been in your family for generations or it's the only thing you know. You struggle to hold on until someone forcibly takes it from you...

No that's not what I meant by neglect.   I looked at several Batwings before I finally bought one.   You could tell who blew or swept the debris off after use and who didn't. Swiss cheese came to mind on several of them.  You can also look at loaders and see who used a grease gun and who didn't.   That's more what I meant.  

Growing up we sure weren't rich, but up until dad got really bad he tried to take care of his equipment.   Doesn't cost much to grease things, and keep stuff even half way clean.   Debris, and manure sure rot metal pretty quick.    Cleaning up a plow, and greasing or painting the bottoms sure helps next time.  Cleaning out manure spreader, oiling chain and floor boards make them all last much longer.  

• Like 3

Tractor ??unbelievable 

remarkable 

Great job.  I'm still curious as to how long it was setting, and did the guy that let it set, finally decide to sell it, or did the tractor/land change hands or something and the new owner son/grandson etc. is the one that sold it? (I'd suspect that's the case).  Owner seem interested at all? Like "Huh.....you sure made that look like an easy repair" or did he take your $$ and just go back in the house?  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Your 100% right,when farmers are involved and they live on the farm,business it's a whole different story.If they lose their business they lose there house.Their kids have to be uprooted,maybe move to another school,away from friends.They have embarrassment at school,fathers and mothers have to find a new place to live,jobs etc.It is not the same say as a store owner or business  owner in town who has to sell or close up shop.They most times have a house elsewhere,their kids wont have to move. That's why farmers will work to the end,save their family,that's why I did it.I am just one of the lucky ones,got out ,still have my farm ,machinery and life here.The general public has no idea what we went and go through.

• Like 2