bitty

Head gasket question

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:46 PM, CRutt said:

Get the head gasket from Cummins don't use the CNH gasket with the part # that ends with "AM".

why is that gasket no good

Not sure why it doesn't work.  Cummins used this style gasket when the 8900 series were built. The gaskets would leak behind the injection pump or at the back right corner at fairly low hours. Cummins changed the gasket to a "graphite" material. With that change the head gasket leakage went away. Recently CNH introduced the AM gasket with the permatex sealer on it.  I wouldn't put one in when there is a better option.  I would also replace the head bolts when changing the gasket.

i have the head off and found the head needs to be plained the gasket was not squished in the front corner and I have already got new head bolts from cummins

On 6/14/2019 at 9:28 PM, 89vmax said:

why is that gasket no good

I am wondering if they end it with AM to identify it being aftermarket sourced? 

I think it does.

i ended using the interstate mcbee kit as I could not see any difference at all to the oem one so far I have only raan it 45 min and all is good I know what made it fail so we will see

We are starting to get back on this repair. New sleeves are starting to go in the block. One in the box has some surface rust. I have another one coming to replace that one 

sounds great bitty, im sure it will be right this time !!! you guys amaze me, wish i had your abilities/knowledge 

3 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

sounds great bitty, im sure it will be right this time !!! you guys amaze me, wish i had your abilities/knowledge 

It isn't me that's good at this. Two years ago we had a guy return to work for us who worked for us in the mid to late '80's as a kid. He was a diesel tech school graduate who went on to farm on his own amongst other things. As long as it's been since we took it apart I would forget how it goes together anymore

So Case IH is buy Reliance gaskets for there kits too 😳 Dang !! Like the other guys telling you , just go to a truck shop that's Cummins dealer , take a picture of the engine tag on the left front corner of your engine cover . Most of the dealers will have them because they are a lot of 8.3 Cummins in trucks .

Danny 

On 11/7/2019 at 7:01 PM, bitty said:

We are starting to get back on this repair. New sleeves are starting to go in the block. One in the box has some surface rust. I have another one coming to replace that one 

I forgot to put the first picture of progress in

IMG_20191108_095428214.jpg

i think i see the problem bitty, you took it apart upside down

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

i think i see the problem bitty, you took it apart upside down

It is somewhat easier but it takes two people to rotate. It's not perfectly balanced so it wants to freewheel. We used a 203 final drive to make an engine rotisserie. We first made it to rotate the transmission on a Magnum for teardown and rebuild. Working good considering the investment. I used a junk skidloader wheel to make each adapter to mount the next thing to the rotisserie

What head bolts should we use at this point? It currently has the torque plus 90° stamped ones . Should they be replaced when?  Every time when opened up or is there a measurement to get off them ? What is the correct way to determine what head gasket thickness should be used? 

IMG_20191120_103141728.jpg

IMG_20191120_103150447.jpg

IMG_20191122_110907386.jpg

IMG_20191122_110924427.jpg

I wire wheel them, check for any imperfections and check length with gauge included with gasket set. Per a Cummins bulletin you can reuse if they pass length and check good visually   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We found the bolt gauge, hadn't opened up that box yet 

Well I am same spot did the headgasket this summer used mcbee kit with new bolts etc got a cold snap now it seeping

20191105_104245.jpg

20191105_104241.jpg

Also I looked at the AM gasket at dealer says made in china on it. Anyone have any suggestions on fixing mine

4 hours ago, 89vmax said:

Also I looked at the AM gasket at dealer says made in china on it. Anyone have any suggestions on fixing mine

We got the Cummins one from Case IH. The local Cummins dealer didn't seem to want to sell me parts. I am going to talk to some of the local truck garages and see where they are getting their Cummins parts . It might be from a different supplier. 

I stressed to the parts guy at the dealership that I wanted ONLY factory Cummins parts for the engine NO aftermarket junk wanted 

Please show pictures of the engine rotisserie. I want to build one also. The normal engine stands for a car motor will not handle one of these engines and the heavy duty ones OTC sells require a second mortgage.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MarkG said:

Please show pictures of the engine rotisserie. I want to build one also. The normal engine stands for a car motor will not handle one of these engines and the heavy duty ones OTC sells require a second mortgage.

Once the engine is removed I will have to remember. I hope to keep updating this so I will hopefully remember that

18 hours ago, 89vmax said:

If you use the Cummins gasket(the gasket will look like the one in bitty's picture) and new head bolts with the correct torque procedure for your engine serial # the leak will be fixed.(there are 2 different torque procedures)  Dale560 posted a picture on this thread  of the gasket you don't want to use.( It has a red sealer mark drawn on it) In that picture you will see a small picture of a gasket shown which is the lastest Cummins gasket, that is the style you want to use.

Edited by CRutt
I reread your post and saw you put in new head bolts, I would check the head bolts for stretch if they are within spec I would reuse them.

Bitty,

I would use studs in place of the head bolts. All the 5.9's I have owned when the head was removed I had the bolts replaced with studs. Never had a leak with studs. 

On 11/22/2019 at 6:20 PM, bitty said:

We got the Cummins one from Case IH. The local Cummins dealer didn't seem to want to sell me parts. I am going to talk to some of the local truck garages and see where they are getting their Cummins parts . It might be from a different supplier. 

I stressed to the parts guy at the dealership that I wanted ONLY factory Cummins parts for the engine NO aftermarket junk wanted 

This is the package our gasket was in . I believe there is a few different thickness so that needs to be figured out before using one IMG_20191123_111134167_TOP.thumb.jpg.9136f8e02c52bbd6484de134a06d2b23.jpg

Unless you cut block deck that is correct gasket. In the automotive world C series used graded pistons as well as B series.

• Thanks 1