Sign in to follow this  
1480x3

NH 858 chain round baler

Any body got one or had one ?    Just wondered how they were.  Never saw one other than pictures.  Back in 70s and 80s when I was trading balers yearly the NH district man tried to talk me in to one that had sit on dealer lot way to long, years. Believe the baler was in southern IN.   Was built  9/83   till   2/84

When I was running 855's my neighbor had an 858. I think he was making around 2000# bales. 5' x 8' IIRC. I think the idea was so they could haul legal down the highway. The bales were too big for me to handle with my equipment at the time. He made his own 3pt bale unroller so he could feed them one at a time. 

Yes 8ft wide,  IIRC the tongue pivoted at the rear end to allow filling the ends of the bale.

Had a NH chain baler a few years ago it was twine tie. The one thing I liked about it was when I went to tie the bale off I could wrap asmuch twine around it as much as I wanted to make it tight.  My dislike was when stopped to tie and unload bale it would leave a small pile of leaves and fine hay under the back of it. Sorry but I can't remember the model #.

8 minutes ago, pt756 said:

it was an actual 8 foot wide bale? never knew that.

maybe it was 5 1/2 x 7 1/2. 

40 minutes ago, pt756 said:

it was an actual 8 foot wide bale? never knew that.

I think yes the bale was 8 ft

One on tractor house for 2500 obo,  final bid on purple wave on one was 210 iirc

Vermeer used to make a baler that was 7 ft tall by 5 wide. . Like stated before not many ways to handle them back in the day besides a payloader

Back in the 1980s, one of our neighbors had not one, but two of them...hooked behind two 4840 John Deeres. The balers were bigger than the tractors. He had some hilly ground and said there were times he wished he had a bigger tractor both in horsepower and weight as those balers got squirrelly when they were full working on a hillside. When they stacked hay they stacked them 2 bales wide on the bottom, as opposed to 3 wide like most people did at the time. Can’t remember the make, but he had a big payloader to handle those big bales. 

4 hours ago, dale560 said:

Vermeer used to make a baler that was 7 ft tall by 5 wide. . Like stated before not many ways to handle them back in the day besides a payloader

Dale,  I used to buy my net wrap from a Vermeer farmer/dealer.  He showed me a model  706 baler sitting in the back of his shed that had not been used in years, but was in very good condition.  7 ft  tall  6 ft wide bales.   Think it was the 1st model they made the way he talked, at least that's how I understood him,   seems like he mentioned 3000 LB bales.  Guys out west just dumped em and the cows came to them in winter

4 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

Dale,  I used to buy my net wrap from a Vermeer farmer/dealer.  He showed me a model  706 baler sitting in the back of his shed that had not been used in years, but was in very good condition.  7 ft  tall  6 ft wide bales.   Think it was the 1st model they made the way he talked, at least that's how I understood him,   seems like he mentioned 3000 LB bales.  Guys out west just dumped em and the cows came to them in winter

I have only ever seen one before to . The guy had sale and ran old ford gas cabovers as semis around the country and had lots of odd stuff

Wow!  That's a big bale!!  My nh 855 is a pretty reliable machine, will bale anything too, corn stalks, bean stover, straw and hay.  I've ran em all through it.

1 minute ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

Wow!  That's a big bale!!  My nh 855 is a pretty reliable machine, will bale anything too, corn stalks, bean stover, straw and hay.  I've ran em all through it.

A hillbilly that went to school with my brother told us that the 9ft nh conditioner would run rail road ties through and the 8 series baler would bale them. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, dale560 said:

A hillbilly that went to school with my brother told us that the 9ft nh conditioner would run rail road ties through and the 8 series baler would bale them. 

That might be a slight exaggeration, I bet it would only bale rr ties if the dew was still on them to soften them a bit.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, dale560 said:

My old 479 haybine is pretty tough but it does not like fence pickets. I ran over a pile of old pickets in the long grass and one tried to go into the rollers. Did not end well. Broke a bearing on the end of the shaft but luckily did not bend the rollers. 

15 hours ago, dale560 said:

The old man that lived next to us growing up said the same thing about the eight series baler he would swear up and down if you ran over woven wire fence it would bale it up clean just like tree limbs he said he knew because he never wanted to get off the tractor once he got started

57 minutes ago, 88power said:

The old man that lived next to us growing up said the same thing about the eight series baler he would swear up and down if you ran over woven wire fence it would bale it up clean just like tree limbs he said he knew because he never wanted to get off the tractor once he got started

And that type of stuff is usually what tore up the pickups on them which was the weak link on them. My Uncle has a 850 that the pickup is tore up on it. Ive been debating on rebuilding the pickup on it. Everything else is intact and its inside. I mentioned it in another recent New Holland round baler post.