Sign in to follow this  
Dave Downs

Penna CDL No Manual Transmission restriction?

On 3/14/2019 at 5:43 AM, jass1660 said:

If you have an Eaton autoshift forget about backing up smoothly they are horrible. The mdrive, ishift and dt12 in freightliners is fairly smooth for reverse. 

Drove a 10 gear eaton autoshift for 7 years and backing for me was nonissue. Only time it was problematic was upshifting loaded if it caught you off guard. Would jake between gears and slam the driveline. That being said the autoshift had a lot more power than their allison counterparts. Allisons upshift waay too early.

got an 18 spd auto. makes life easier on the flats and traffic. upshifts too early in the mountains so i drive it in manual. climbing and going down. steep grades. manual in tight places

5 hours ago, edwardporter1 said:

got an 18 spd auto. makes life easier on the flats and traffic. upshifts too early in the mountains so i drive it in manual. climbing and going down. steep grades. manual in tight places

Would this 18 gear be in a long hood conventional? If so need a fill in driver in the winter? Lol! 

2 minutes ago, 660 driver said:

Would this 18 gear be in a long hood conventional? If so need a fill in driver in the winter? Lol! 

intermational 9900 cat 550

My first experience driving anything outside of the 5+2 grain truck was on a Freightliner with a Detroit 6v92 with a 10 speed road ranger.  While in college, I helped a local farmer near campus one fall.  He had that Freightshaker twin screw grain truck.  It was about 11 pm one night and needed to get the truck back to home, never driving it before.  He barked over the radio to "slam your hand in the door three times then drive" After 3 miles of misshifts and missed gears I finally figured out what he meant.   The farm also had a single axle Chevy Bison with a screaming jimmy and a 9 speed.  That tranny stick came from the back to the front.  Took a bit to learn it but learned to just drive them all pissed off and you were good.  My next job in college was hauling rock and lime in an International paystar with an 18 speed roadranger.  That was easy except you spent the whole day shifting when making short haul rock loads.

17 hours ago, 660 driver said:

Drove a 10 gear eaton autoshift for 7 years and backing for me was nonissue. Only time it was problematic was upshifting loaded if it caught you off guard. Would jake between gears and slam the driveline. That being said the autoshift had a lot more power than their allison counterparts. Allisons upshift waay too early.

My job includes driving a Kenworth with the Eaton autoshift as well. It’s not bad, but it doesn’t shift any faster than a guy can shift a manual. I like to shift it manually in town or it has a tendency to shift too often and at the wrong time.

You can get your manual restriction lifted by using any truck over 26001 GVW with a manual transmission, you will only have to do a pre trip and a drive, no learner permit required.  I was a CDL examiner for the state of Kansas for 5 years.  Quit a couple of months ago due to a bad knee.

4 hours ago, M35A2 said:

My first experience driving anything outside of the 5+2 grain truck was on a Freightliner with a Detroit 6v92 with a 10 speed road ranger.  While in college, I helped a local farmer near campus one fall.  He had that Freightshaker twin screw grain truck.  It was about 11 pm one night and needed to get the truck back to home, never driving it before.  He barked over the radio to "slam your hand in the door three times then drive" After 3 miles of misshifts and missed gears I finally figured out what he meant.   The farm also had a single axle Chevy Bison with a screaming jimmy and a 9 speed.  That tranny stick came from the back to the front.  Took a bit to learn it but learned to just drive them all pissed off and you were good.  My next job in college was hauling rock and lime in an International paystar with an 18 speed roadranger.  That was easy except you spent the whole day shifting when making short haul rock loads.

Your Detroit experience is much like mine except it was a 13 speed behind a 12v71 Detroit in a 70s GMC Astro cabover. Had a 20 ft Scott grain box on a twin screw with another cheater axle to boot. Run a 2 stroke Detroit like you hope it throws a rid through the block.

1 minute ago, Reichow7120 said:

Your Detroit experience is much like mine except it was a 13 speed behind a 12v71 Detroit in a 70s GMC Astro cabover. Had a 20 ft Scott grain box on a twin screw with another cheater axle to boot. Run a 2 stroke Detroit like you hope it throws a rid through the block.

Yep those old Detroits were good at turning diesel fuel into noise!

• Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:09 AM, vtfireman85 said:

It’s like a microwave, D is for  -Dangerous,  R is for-Really Dangerous . 

All our pumpers and our rescue truck are autos, the tankers are both manuals, the little one is a 76’ loadstar with a 5+2 the big one is an aeromax with an Eaton 13 speed. It’s dreadful watching someone who can’t figure it out try to drive one. I don’t understand the difficulty but I suppose if you weren’t raised with them...

Our local vol fire dept  had a heavy Int tandem, can't recall model, probly 60s vintage.  Anyway had a big 6 gasser, iirc around 450 cid, with a 5 &4 twin stick.  Just what they needed with 30+ drivers all in a hurry. This was in the era before CDLs.  I drove it after they sold it to a neighbor who changed it from a tanker to a grain box. I was no good at it, however I must say those gear teeth must be VERY tough in those transmissions.     :D

19 hours ago, JD Humm said:

You can get your manual restriction lifted by using any truck over 26001 GVW with a manual transmission, you will only have to do a pre trip and a drive, no learner permit required.  I was a CDL examiner for the state of Kansas for 5 years.  Quit a couple of months ago due to a bad knee.

If a guy got a class b with air brake endorsement, could you take a manual transmission pickup and trailer for your class a and not have restrictions? I’m just curious because I know several people who got their class a with a pickup several years ago. 

1 hour ago, brewcrew said:

If a guy got a class b with air brake endorsement, could you take a manual transmission pickup and trailer for your class a and not have restrictions? I’m just curious because I know several people who got their class a with a pickup several years ago. 

You would still only have a class B. Its been that way for many years. Not sure how they drove a pickup and trailer and got their class a.  Something is not right 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RKO said:

You would still only have a class B. Its been that way for many years. Not sure how they drove a pickup and trailer and got their class a.  Something is not right 

Dually pickup over 10k gvw plus 20k trailer easily puts you over the 26k combination that requires a class a.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

Dually pickup over 10k gvw plus 20k trailer easily puts you over the 26k combination that requires a class a.

16 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

States I deal with, You have to drive a like vehicle.  Pickup and trailer is not the same as a tractor trailer.   What I have noticed in that case.  Is they gave them a class a with a restriction. Also a pickup does not have air brakes. So you would get that restriction.  Pretty sure if you tried to get your class a with no auto endorsement with a pickup. Then came back with a smaller truck for the air brakes endorcement. It would not fly.  Maybe some states are not following the rules?

1 hour ago, RKO said:

States I deal with, You have to drive a like vehicle.  Pickup and trailer is not the same as a tractor trailer.   What I have noticed in that case.  Is they gave them a class a with a restriction. Also a pickup does not have air brakes. So you would get that restriction.  Pretty sure if you tried to get your class a with no auto endorsement with a pickup. Then came back with a smaller truck for the air brakes endorcement. It would not fly.  Maybe some states are not following the rules?

That's just it. The regs from state to state are such a hodge podge that no 2 states are a like. You're fine in one state (or turn a blind eye to it), change states and you're out of compliance. 

3 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

That's just it. The regs from state to state are such a hodge podge that no 2 states are a like. You're fine in one state (or turn a blind eye to it), change states and you're out of compliance. 

That is why they came up with the idea of a CDL to make everything the same state to state. All it did was take good experienced drivers off the road who could retire or go to some other line of work. 

Dennis

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jingles1928 said:

That is why they came up with the idea of a CDL to make everything the same state to state. All it did was take good experienced drivers off the road who could retire or go to some other line of work. 

Dennis

Such as myself....

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jingles1928 said:

Dennis

The idea of national CDL was a great idea. Then the states started wanting money and control of the CDL license and we are worse off than before.   Then add in the people that try to beat the system and this is what we ended up with 

21 minutes ago, RKO said:

The idea of national CDL was a great idea. Then the states started wanting money and control of the CDL license and we are worse off than before.   Then add in the people that try to beat the system and this is what we ended up with 

So how do some of the wheezing 400# sob's even get a CDL?

I still have mine but every time I go for the physical they do a neck measure, whine about borderline blood pressure & who knows what else. But of course it has  to be a special DOT doc now. So they cut out all the good doctors who could do them. And they waste an hour or more of your time for a 10 minute check.

Of course you can get a F class with no questions asked, haul 18 hours a day & here they can pull doubles grossing 160.000#.

My DOT physical only took a few minutes last week. Pee in a cup. Checked for a pulse. Whacked me with a little hammer in a few places. Said i passed 2 out of 3...  good to go....😁😁

2 hours ago, new guy said:

My DOT physical only took a few minutes last week. Pee in a cup. Checked for a pulse. Whacked me with a little hammer in a few places. Said i passed 2 out of 3...  good to go....😁😁

Did you have problems hitting the cup also. I got yelled at for it and kinda hurt my feelings because of my bad aim. 

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

Did you have problems hitting the cup also. I got yelled at for it and kinda hurt my feelings because of my bad aim. 

I pretended to trip carrying my "sample" back to the nurse. She jumped and grumbled something at me...

• Haha 2

On 3/17/2019 at 8:29 AM, RKO said:

In Kansas you can get a class A with a pickup and trailer as long as the combined GVW is over 26K.  If it is an automatic pickup you will have a no air brake restriction, no manual transmission restriction and no semi (tractor trailer) restriction.  You can bring in a class B truck as long as it is over 26K and remove your no air brake and no manual restrictions if that B truck is a manual.  We use to call that "coming in the back door" to get a CDL and used to see a lot of drivers go that route and it was perfectly legal when I resigned.  However you will have to bring in a semi tractor that has a fifth wheel and a trailer to lift the no semi restriction.  All states have their own little twists on the CDL licensing, even though it is supposed to federally regulated.

Starting in Kansas last year, if you bring in a hydraulic brake vehicle and do not do the hydraulic brake check correctly during the CDL exam, it is an automatic fail, just like the air brake check will fail you if not performed correctly.  

Anyone has any CDL questions drop me a pm, I will be happy to help out if I can.