Sign in to follow this  
Dave Downs

Penna CDL No Manual Transmission restriction?

I decided to drive school bus again, I drove for a couple of years back in 2011. I let my CDL expire so I had to re-take the training and test. My new CDL license has a restriction 'No Manual Transmission', the old one did not. 

I guess it would require a re-test to get rid of the restriction, school bus company gave me the training and test, probably have to find a driver school to do that. Not really interested in spending the money for something I might not use.

Most every state now if you take driving test with an autoshift that’s all you can drive. If you test with a manual you can drive either. In other words just another revenue maker for the states...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Dave Downs said:

I decided to drive school bus again, I drove for a couple of years back in 2011. I let my CDL expire so I had to re-take the training and test. My new CDL license has a restriction 'No Manual Transmission', the old one did not. 

I guess it would require a re-test to get rid of the restriction, school bus company gave me the training and test, probably have to find a driver school to do that. Not really interested in spending the money for something I might not use.

As I understand it, it you test on an auto you are manual restricted. Test on manual & you ca run both.

Just now, jass1660 said:

Most every state now if you take driving test with an autoshift that’s all you can drive. If you test with a manual you can drive either. In other words just another revenue maker for the states...

Back when I was driving there few if any autos in the big ones. Today some of these cowboys cannot hardly get an auto down the road forward, forget backing it up.

• Like 1

If you have an Eaton autoshift forget about backing up smoothly they are horrible. The mdrive, ishift and dt12 in freightliners is fairly smooth for reverse. 

Our school system only has one manual shift and it’s a old band bus 

My wife was pushing me to get mine before that law went into effect.........I told her who cares, I am never driving truck.  Hated it when I had to do it on the farm, that was enough playing snowman for me.  She just went and got her DOT physical yesterday, think she has had hers for 10 years now and hasn't driven at all for 9 of them.

Someone would have to show me how to operate an auto.

Ron

5 minutes ago, Ron Cook said:

Ron

Umm put it in D and ease into the throttle....

• Haha 1

Funny, I got my kids stick shifts to learn on so they'd know how and appreciate that it's actually rewarding. My daughter has only driven a stick shift and my son is on the prowl for an M3 when he graduates.

My older sister never had an automatic until a few years ago when she couldn't find a manual new car. She was a little dangerous until she realized she couldn't just leave it in gear when she parked it. She's a retired school teacher and drove bus during the summers as camp buses, no autos back then.

Interesting that most Europeans prefer manuals as do I while here in the 'States no one seems to want one.

When my son was still in high school he made the comment that he could have left the Jeep in the parking lot with the keys in it but it was theft protected by virtue of being a stick!

8 minutes ago, New Englander said:

When my son was still in high school he made the comment that he could have left the Jeep in the parking lot with the keys in it but it was theft protected by virtue of being a stick!

I'm wanting to slow down some at work. So I was going to hire a truck driver to help deliever material.  First two applicants looked at the gear shift and didn't know what to do. They had only driven automatics.  Next one looked at what we hauled and he couldn't figure out how to tie stuff down.  He wanted it in a van trailer. He had only pulled a van trailer. Guess I'm going to work until I die 😥

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ron Cook said:

Ron

It's like driving a pickup. You'll be fine. 

The only time i dont like the automatics is when it's icy on the roads. Then i wish i had my 13 spd back again. Cheap fleet trucks make it worse. 

2 hours ago, RKO said:

First two applicants looked at the gear shift and didn't know what to do. 

It would be very entertaining to put them in a older truck with a 5×4 twin stick in it and see their reaction.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, new guy said:

It's like driving a pickup. You'll be fine. 

The only time i dont like the automatics is when it's icy on the roads. Then i wish i had my 13 spd back again. Cheap fleet truckers make it worse. 

I drove a Fleetstar 2050 years ago with the Allison behind a DV549.  Hated that setup.  Only truck with auto I have ever driven.  As an owner, I can't afford to have the autos around.  And I ain't driving anyone else's truck.  So it is moot.

Ron

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

It would be very entertaining to put them in a older truck with a 5×4 twin stick in it and see their reaction.

YA, no kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

I never run one of those enough to be good, give me a 13, 15, 18 speed fuller & life is good.

Never liked the 9 or 10 & the worst one of them is the old 5 speed maxidynes.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Yes it would.  I might buy a ticket to see that.

Ron

3 minutes ago, kevinj said:

I never run one of those enough to be good, give me a 13, 15, 18 speed fuller & life is good.

10 speeds suck in a semi. They belong in a straight truck. Too much gap between gears. 13 speed is about perfect for 80k loads. Heavy hauls is where the 15 and 18 shine.

I have never ran a 5x4 so i would be an entertaining one to watch if you could ever sucker me in to driving one...

6 minutes ago, Ron Cook said:

I drove a Fleetstar 2050 years ago with the Allison behind a DV549.  Hated that setup.  Only truck with auto I have ever driven.  As an owner, I can't afford to have the autos around.  And I ain't driving anyone else's truck.  So it is moot.

Ron

These are automated manual transmissions same as you have just shifted by computer, nothing like an Allison.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, kevinj said:

Im the same way with a 5×4. Just good enough to get by but not great, but that's been a few years since I last was in one so i might stink at it now.

Im good with any fuller. Our truck is a 9 speed. (IH 9370). Yeah i wish it had more gears starting out but once im going our truck will pull it around here so im not having to shift to often. It definitely does scoot down the road once going and i lay the hammer down. Its what the truck had in it when we bought it cheap so i work with what we have.

4 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Im the same way with a 5×4. Just good enough to get by but not great, but that's been a few years since I last was in one so i might stink at it now.

Im good with any fuller. Our truck is a 9 speed. (IH 9370). Yeah i wish it had more gears starting out but once im going our truck will pull it around here so im not having to shift to often. It definitely does scoot down the road once going and i lay the hammer down. Its what the truck had in it when we bought it cheap so i work with what we have.

IIRC, the 9 speed converts easily/cheaply to 13 speed. I've only driven 10's and 13's. Would not go back to a 10sp for any amount of money. 

8 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

IIRC, the 9 speed converts easily/cheaply to 13 speed. I've only driven 10's and 13's. Would not go back to a 10sp for any amount of money. 

Figured when the time came to work on it I would switch it to a 13 speed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Figured when the time came to work on it I would switch it to a 13 speed. 

You won't be sorry. Makes it a whole different truck running rolling hills if you have them. 

49 minutes ago, new guy said:

10 speeds suck in a semi. They belong in a straight truck. Too much gap between gears. 13 speed is about perfect for 80k loads. Heavy hauls is where the 15 and 18 shine.

I have never ran a 5x4 so i would be an entertaining one to watch if you could ever sucker me in to driving one...

We run up to 160k where I worked. Very rare for us load at less than 100k.

43 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

I prefer that 9 with a cummins or cat over the old 10 that usually had a 8v71 tied to it.

48 minutes ago, new guy said:

Both our Pete’s have 10 speeds.  1,500 rpms is 65 mph.  For 80k loads, don’t need anymore gears unless you have a small block pooch of an engine.