Cooter

Anyone installed a shift repair kit for H/M?

My shifter on my H is really sloppy so I bought one of the kits from Steiner, but I guess I'm not sure what the round piece does?  The two holes in the platform are really sloppy and what was left of the pin is tapered to a point on each end, so I'm pretty sure this kit isn't going to fix it without some machining.  I may end up taking the kit back and fabricating my own.  Anyone used one of these?  They sell another kit for $40 that is threaded on one end, but I'm not sure if that would fix the sloppiness either.  In the pictures, what is the top piece of round stock for?  I didn't see anything that looked like that when I took the shifter out.

IHS981.jpg

IHS3314.jpg

The top piece sits inside of the shifter shaft.

The top kit is what should be in from factory or close to it.   The piece of round stick with hole in it goes into the shifter.    The bottom kit is a repair kit.   The ends should fit in the shoulder where the original welch/frost plugs would have been.    If you go on eBay and type in "sloppy shifter kit" there is one made out of stainless that works well.   It should fix the problems you describe with the egged out cast in the platform.   

Platform holes are really sloppy??$$ then go for the bottom kit the cross pin will shoulder in and screw tight.

I needed the old M to go so I just put in a bolt with lock nut.  It has worked fine since. Not pretty but it works.