88power

Some more for my friend Mr. Newman @mike newman (not to be confused with Newman from Seinfeld “Hi,Jerry!”)

and 

Warning!!  The Dire Straits song is not politically correct in this day and age, although I happen to know it is a favorite of @FarmerFixEmUp and myself. This song makes me want to learn to play the electric guitar and drums just to play this song. Heaven help us if I ever do, it may be the one and only time I’m asked to play guitar in church if I warm up with the guitar intro that starts about a minute in.  Also the only song that has found the limits of the speakers in the Peterbilt!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Some more for my friend Mr. Newman @mike newman (not to be confused with Newman from Seinfeld “Hi,Jerry!”)

and 

Warning!!  The Dire Straits song is not politically correct in this day and age, although I happen to know it is a favorite of @FarmerFixEmUp and myself. This song makes me want to learn to play the electric guitar and drums just to play this song. Heaven help us if I ever do, it may be the one and only time I’m asked to play guitar in church if I warm up with the guitar intro that starts about a minute in.  Also the only song that has found the limits of the speakers in the Peterbilt!!

Prepare for an outburst from Mike!😄

• Haha 1

I have a sister that lives in his leftist paradise, albeit on the other island and 600 miles east of Mike. If I ever go visit her, I fully intend to look him up if by God’s grace he and his old Cook are still haunting Rainbow Station!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

They did manage a few good videos & I recall when that hit MTV. Think Remote Control was still on at that point. MTV reformatted pretty quickly after then, giving birth to the rap videos, Bevis & Butthead a couple years after that & then the reality TV nonsense. 

Mike

S'pose.... while I'm here.... Mr. Newman did say something about screeching vocals. Think he wanted to hear screeching vocals. I don't know. Can't hear so good any more.

Too many concerts....

something....

Mike

No no, wait.... I think he said something about female vocals....

Or was it older folk music??

:D

Mike

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

No no, wait.... I think he said something about female vocals....

I believe what he said was caterwauling..

57 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I believe what he said was caterwauling..

Yes, we have that here!

Now, if you'll excuse me....

I'm off to listen to something a little less sophisticated.

Mike

There's some weird a__  sh__  out there.  newman's gonna have a stroke!  🙄

Enough of the dark music. Bring out the Chevy's!!!

And some other brands too.

Well.... I'll give it my Scout's best....

↑↑ Just in case our Mr. Newman is too rattled & needs a ride out of here. ↑↑

Mike

On 12/30/2023 at 4:27 PM, hillman said:

Today while working in the shop  I decided to spent my annual 4 hr C&W listening torture 😁

This is a great song ! I love it!

maybe I will expand my allocated 4 hrs of torture tomorrow😏

I see no one likes that song which is a surprise. I Goggled Dean Brody and it turns out he is Canadian which was news to me... then again all C&W artists are an unknown to me 

Does he get airplay south of the border? 

this is the official video 

On 1/5/2024 at 5:29 PM, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Prepare for an outburst from Mike!😄

....Ahh    you are all good  blokes.....:D...just trying to move me into the  twentieth  century  with those dulcet tones from  the various crooners ....although   some of the ''portraits '' of said screamers  are a mite intimidating....

One of the problems for that sort of entertainment  is that   at my time of life...I no longer require hearing protection when using    a  big  chainsaw...thus some of the crooks and grannies  that you blokes  find so satisfying to the inner man.....are lost upon me....You know....in one ear and out t'other....sigh

So...I will just stumble on, loudly humming   ''The last Cowboy   Song ''  and the like...but hey..its great you guys are putting music....(we use that word very loosely......:unsure:)  on the  topic......after all, t hat was what I had hoped for...:)

Mike

• Like 3

On 1/4/2024 at 10:37 PM, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Yes, this is true. There's a documentary the band made, called 2 of One, that talks about the making of the video, the separate long form version, and the MTV-friendly version, and the inspiration for the song.

They are my favorite band, so when I watched the documentary as a kid, I checked out the book and read it. It wasn't until I was an adult that I learned Dalton Trumbo's motivation for writing it.

6 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I like her a lot.

My wife's best friends daughter works at the Grand Old Opry. We were just there a month ago and she told us Ashley McBryde is her favorite person to work with. Her and Reba McEntire. Both genuine and friendly ladies. Many of the others are rude and entitled.

We were at the opry for Oliver Anthony's debut. That place went nuts! He is now outselling Taylor Swift.

• Like 4

On 1/6/2024 at 11:15 AM, hillman said:

I see no one likes that song which is a surprise. I Goggled Dean Brody and it turns out he is Canadian which was news to me... then again all C&W artists are an unknown to me 

Does he get airplay south of the border? 

this is the official video 

Hillman  ....could you ''put on ''another Canadian song, please  !!

Rita MacNeil     ''Working Man "'

Thankyou :)

Mike

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mike newman said:

Hillman  ....could you ''put on ''another Canadian song, please  !!

Rita MacNeil     ''Working Man "'

Thankyou :)

Mike

I am here for you my friend!

Old Rita was on an episode of Trailer Park Boys LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

odd consciences, Rush are Canadian as well and Alex Lifeson also was in the Trailer Park Boys 

little trivia Rush got their big break in Cleveland Ohio when program director thought the audience would like Working Man. I believe they became friends

Donna Halper dropped the needle onto the record, ready to give the unknown band a chance.

She’d never heard of Rush—really, no one had. But a Canadian record promoter had sent her the Toronto bar band’s self-titled, self-released album. His label had turned the band down, but he thought they had potential. Maybe she’d agree.

It was 1974, and Halper, then 27, had just gotten her big break. Just months after earning her third degree from Northeastern University, Halper had left her native Boston to become music director of WMMS-FM, a rock station in Cleveland. Her job: find new music, raise the station’s ratings, and increase its importance in the music industry.

Halper searched Rush’s album and chose a long cut called “Working Man.” A guitar riff—slow, ultra-heavy, Led Zeppelin-esque—introduced these lyrics:

Well, I get up at seven, yeah
And I go to work at nine
I got no time for livin’
Yes, I’m workin’ all the time

“Cleveland was a factory town back then,” Halper recalls. “I said, this song is going to resonate with our audience.” She had a DJ put it on the air that night. Listeners started calling. Some asked if it was a new Led Zeppelin song. Others asked, “Can you play it again?”

Requests poured in. Halper put “Working Man” in heavy rotation and called Rush’s manager in Toronto. “I said, ‘We need more copies of this.’ He said, ‘You do? We can’t get arrested in Toronto with this. Nobody wants our album.’” He shipped a box of copies to Halper, who brought it to Record Revolution, an imports-friendly record store in Cleveland Heights.

That’s how Halper gave the band Rush their big break—which eventually led to the group selling 40 million records in a decades-long career. When Mercury Records released that first Rush album in the U.S. later in 1974, the band credited her in the liner notes: “With Special Thanks to Donna Halper of WMMS in Cleveland for getting the ball rolling.”

https://news.northeastern.edu/2023/06/01/magazine/rush-rock-band-discovery/#:~:text=That’s how Halper gave the band Rush their,WMMS in Cleveland for getting the ball rolling.”

I just found this video of Ruch at a high school in St Catherines, Ont 1974 with the original drummer ....Working Man

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alex could, and probably still can really play the guitar! I just stand in awe of people who can play like that. Geddy and Niel weren't too bad either. It's kind of sad John didn't last but they couldn't have found a better replacement!

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 8:22 PM, DT Fan said:

Alex could, and probably still can really play the guitar! I just stand in awe of people who can play like that. Geddy and Niel weren't too bad either. It's kind of sad John didn't last but they couldn't have found a better replacement!

Alex struggles with Arthritis in his hands. years of repetitive pickin'. All 3 of them were at the top of their chosen instruments and it took its toll

• Like 1