88power

Did a playlist changeup on my Winamp today & saw this tune in the list. It's a bit on the country blues side & a lot more mellow than the rest.  Figured it might fit in on this here topic, as there are plenty selections listed in these pages that are (whatever people these days call) country. 😛

Mike

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 8:47 PM, Twolines said:

I dont know how to post a link dang it...but i could listen to George Jones and Buck Owens all day..

I'm a big Buck Owens fan. And Dwight Yoakam. I've learned a fair bit about the subgenres of country and it makes it easier for me to find stuff I'll like. Bakersfield (Buck and Dwight), and Red Dirt (Turnpike Troubadours, etc.) are my two favorites.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Australia has just lost a legend of the music world in Judith Durham of "The Seekers".

Some reactions

“It’s a sad Sunday Morning Music for me today, because yesterday I learned that Judith Durham, lead singer of The Seekers during their heyday in the 1960’s, died on Friday. Her voice was extraordinary, but so was her life in general, in so many ways.”

Has a selection of tracks

https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2022/08/sunday-morning-music.html

and

“This gotta be such an anthem, this song is special” – American singer reacts to Judith Durham & The Seekers.”

https://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2022/08/this-gotta-be-such-an-anthem-this-song-is-special-american-singer-reacts-to-judith-durham-the-seeker.html

3 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Australia has just lost a legend of the music world in Judith Durham of "The Seekers".

Some reactions

“It’s a sad Sunday Morning Music for me today, because yesterday I learned that Judith Durham, lead singer of The Seekers during their heyday in the 1960’s, died on Friday. Her voice was extraordinary, but so was her life in general, in so many ways.”

Has a selection of tracks

https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2022/08/sunday-morning-music.html

and

“This gotta be such an anthem, this song is special” – American singer reacts to Judith Durham & The Seekers.”

https://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2022/08/this-gotta-be-such-an-anthem-this-song-is-special-american-singer-reacts-to-judith-durham-the-seeker.html

Powerful and beautiful voice.  I’ve never been to Australia (but my wiser brother has and can go on a bit about the nation and it’s people), but I wish someone represented my region of the world so beautifully and so strongly.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^ I want to add the meaning of that song for those who are not fans of that type of music ......I don't remember Madonna or Drake with this type of content

https://www.lyricinterpretations.com/supertramp/fools-overture

The historical lesson used in the backdrop of the song to give historical context is that of World War II when society was complacent and allowed Hitlerbto rise to power. But for one man alone, who tried to convince the world not to be complacent in the face of the rising Nazi attempt to destroy civilization and create a totalitarist world, we would have lost all that we love and charish, in particular, compassion, love and basic human desency. That man was Winston Churchill. He warned to no end what the Nazis were intending. But no one believed him. They branded Churchill as overreacting and a fool. Finally, we woke up when it was too late to discover, in actuality, he was right. Britain then took to the skies to fight Nazism. Failure to heed Churchill's warnings early on cost the lives of 45,000,000 people, including the slaughter of 6,000,000 innocent Jews.
The lesson is to not be complacent or all will be lost.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, hardtail said:

I reckon that's KWRB and Mike right there, no second guesses needed on which one is who 🙄

KWRB   model  certainly looks a fiesty brute.....frothing at the mouth...looks like a touch  of distemper perhaps??  or constipation  even..

t'other looks very calm by comparison.....albeit  slightly  concerned  at the antics of  'ol' crippler''

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Twolines... You and I are very in line with music. I'm a sucker for the likes of The Steeldrivers, and Tyler Childers. Just saw The Dead South live about a month ago. Great show. This one from Benjamin Tod gets me. He does a better job than Steve Earl did. The song is about mining, but the message is about everyone. Who didn't go to bed one night a carefree kid and wake up one day a working man?

Great thread. I went back to the beginning! Whew...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, sandhiller said:

zEqVt9m.png.0dd45372aee873f6d939d781a547329b.png

The  Forney I have heard was better with hearing protection on.🤣

But my wife has just been home long enough to let me know don't every play a song "The road to ****". She claims those are the only words repeated 😵 for minutes on end. With heavy rock background.  The young woke teacher she is helping played this to end the day. So I know the number one worst at my house is not the same as your pick. 

• Like 1

I will post one everyone should like from the best TV show  ever. 

can't help myself from posting a short video from an episode with racing. fist fights, classic trucks and no murders. don't get better than Movin On IMHO

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if Ray Lyell made it in the USA , He is a Hamilton guy who had a fair amount of success in the 80s and 90s here, He is into Christian music now  This song is about his veteran Uncle . ends with extended bagpipes . Nov 11th early

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...