Dels1566

1566 shifter help

My 76 1566  it’s a linkage issue some where behind the “dash” mine is a linkage system rather than cables etc anyone have any exploded views or service info the sooner the better we still have snow to plow and horses to feed

Are you sure it's behind the dash?  There is a cover under the steering wheel, two bolts I think take that off and look to see if any thing is moving on top of the transmission

There are two arms that do the shifting. There are short rods that connect to a vertical shafts.  Some times the little roll pin comes out of the shaft  and it won't shift.

9 hours ago, Dels1566 said:

mine is a linkage system rather than cables etc

They all are.

Yep, all parts books are available on the web.  Matt gave the address. 

I must add, partstore.caseih.com is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm on there several times a week looking up parts and exploded diagrams to help confirm many of the answers I give on this forum. It's my secret weapon.

You can set yourself up with an account and associate a dealer with your account, so you then get parts prices so you can suffer the sticker shock in private, rather than take it out on the innocent parts guy. Then you can order the parts into the dealer for pickup, or delivered to your door.

Messicks website is an alternative. They have a portal into the parts books for CaseIH and many other brands, which can sometimes be easier to deal with than the CaseIH site.

Ok gentlemen first off thanks for the direction you sent me in as far as the IH page and all it was is the roll pin snapped however a word to the other newbys don’t tear down more than you have to find a ol timer and buddy up thanks for the help again 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dels1566 said:

find a ol timer and buddy up thanks for the help again 

You must be really young if you thing all of us who know about IH tractors are old.  Especially a 1566.  They came out before I was born, but I've worked on a lot of them.....  "ol timer".  Ok kid....

J-Mech.....we all turn into the old-timer sooner or later!

I remember exactly where I was.....  So I still feel young and stupid inside my brain (wish the rest of me still felt that way). I still think everybody else should know more than me, being older and wiser and all that.   So, I'm attending this conference on designing a generator plant for a hospital over in Africa.   We fly to Colorado Springs and meet a bunch of really smart people (Trust me, in that group i was the dumb one!)  Electrical engineer, Architects, the works.     Going around the table introducing ourselves and suddenly I realize......I'm the oldest guy there.  And some of these geniuses are looking up to me as the "old hand".....  😲

And then a couple years later the clerk gave me the "senior discount" at a cafe....and I was only 47!  NOW I feel old.....

• Haha 2

No offense there wiper snapper I’m a 53 year old child ask my wife 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dels1566 said:

No offense there wiper snapper I’m a 53 year old child ask my wife 

Lol!  That's funny!