harvesterguy

Who makes reproduction OEM mufflers for Letter Series

I'm looking for a factory reproduction muffler for a Farmall A, and I can't remember who makes them.  I'm not a fan of the Stanley mufflers and I seem to recall a Red Power advertiser that started making them to factory specs.  Anybody have a link?

• Like 1

Pilot knob maybe? I know someone has reproduction in stainless steel also, I will take stainless next time I redo my A

Wasnt it a guy by the name of dave thurmore or something along those lines

You want the "restoration quality" mufflers. Everyone that carries them advertises them as such. They are made in regular "aluminized" steel, or stainless.

Just FYI, the restoration quality muffers aren't any better at noise reduction than the Stanleys. They're not fully baffled, so not much better than a straight pipe.

6 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

You want the "restoration quality" mufflers. Everyone that carries them advertises them as such. They are made in regular "aluminized" steel, or stainless.

Just FYI, the restoration quality muffers aren't any better at noise reduction than the Stanleys. They're not fully baffled, so not much better than a straight pipe.

If you get the right one for the A the pipe is quite a bit smaller coming out of the top of the muffler compared to the Stanley and is a good bit more quiet in my opinion. 

They're supposed to be made off the IH blueprints.  The 360720R91 for the Super A, etc. does sound better than the aftermarkets, and the outlet is the smaller pipe which is correct.

Al

a month ago or so there was a guy selling a NOS muffler for a non-C Farmall on the Rochester NY craigslist. I know because I have a C and it wouldn't fit. I think it was an A or B. I don't see it there now, but he has reposted it a few times, so you might keep an eye out for it.

3 hours ago, KWRB said:

a month ago or so there was a guy selling a NOS muffler for a non-C Farmall on the Rochester NY craigslist. I know because I have a C and it wouldn't fit. I think it was an A or B. I don't see it there now, but he has reposted it a few times, so you might keep an eye out for it.

I would like to think that the A , B, BN, and C are the same muffler, same engine in all of them a C123

I purchased a restoration quality muffler for my Farmall C from Steiners.  It has the part number embossed on it like the original and also has the small discharge like the original.  I replaced a Stanley with this one and can say that the sound is waaay nicer than the Stanley.

Also pulled the trigger and bought a muffler for my Farmall - H from steiners. From what I've been reading between the A - H models is the smaller dia. of the output pipe. For my H the Stanley output O.D. was 2 1/2". The one I got from Steiners the output O.D. is  1 - 3/4". It cuts down the exhaust noise a good bit, but still seems to have the same power.  Had it running at slow idle while me and the neighbor talked for about 20 min standing around 10 ft. away. We never had to raise our voices above normal. I like that.  Don't know about the (A) but have period pictures of H's and M's at work, and they both have the smaller diameter output pipes.Seems to be more back pressure from the smaller pipe. Think thats what I like about the exhaust note once it pulls down and the governor opens up. Guess it might come down to, do you like more or less noise.

Just found a period picture in one of my books of a Super-A plowing. Has the smaller dia. output pipe

Take Care

Tim 

I have a reproduction muffler on my Farmall A and liked it that much Dad and I have fitted them to our W4 , W6 and the Farmall H. We have found them to be a lot quieter than the stanley mufflers and like the look of reproduction mufflers .We bought our mufflers from Ken Updike at Johnson Tractors and Steiner Tractor Parts. Ken was involved with the making of the reproduction mufflers ,and if I remember correctly so were Steiners .They are not very common here in New Zealand so help make our tractors stand out that little bit more.

Marty,NZ

Phone photos 372.jpg

51729465_326929321258815_8603581717439053824_n.jpg

• Like 3

To the best of my knowledge, ALL OEM Farmall M mufflers had 2-1/2" outlets.  Farmall H's had 1-3/4" outlets. To me the stock H's always sounded "restricted",  I think it was an IH muffler for a 460 Farmall I bought for the '39 H after it was repainted that I really liked. Had a shorter length of the large diameter than the 560 or M muffler had, but still had the 2-1/2" outlet. It got painted with VHT hi-temp white paint to help it last longer but that really didn't pan out. It made the swap onto the SH when Dad traded tractors in 1968 but it suffered a broken inlet from a low tree branch some time in the mid-1970's. It might have been a little louder than the normal H muffler but definitely was quieter than a straight pipe,  which I've had several on H's and M's.

A little more exhaust noise never really bothered me, I just turned the radio up a little louder!  I've got 2-1/2" 304 stainless steel straight pipes on both my Farmall's,  also have a Stanley muffler that I took off of each one.  I should buy one of Bermuda Ken's reproduction mufflers.  There was never a better sounding tractor than a Farmall M in a hard pull with an OEM muffler.

Looks like a lot of places to buy a mufflers from but is there more than one manufacturer of the oem mufflers? Who actually make the mufflers? walker manufacturer or someone else?

I have some old IH muffler and they sound better or different than the reproduction muffler. More bark in my opinion. 

Borrowed neighbors super m to disc 6 acres at parents place. Went over it a couple times. Had a straight pipe on it abd sounded good but i was glad to be done to.

Uncle bought a low hour h with original muffler on it. We could stand near it and talk easily and it sounded good to. 

I would like to get a original style muffler also for my one H.  Of all the mufflers I took off and looked through in my years I have no idea if some for the H  were baffled and some not.  Seems to me they were years ago but  wouldn't bet on it one way or another.  One of these days, when I have nothing to do, and the farm yard gets rid of snow and mud, I might just do  some switching from one tractor to another .  I can't remember if I got all three mufflers from HY Capacity or one from a IH dealer. Will have to check closer.