KWRB

I Need Honest (not cheapskate) Value Estimates

I never thought I do the "how much do you think this tractor's worth?" post that we see all the time, but I would value the feedback from you guys.

I posted over the weekend about some tractors I was looking at, with mounted cultivators. The owner does not want to sell the cultivators separate, and I understand that. However, given the situation he's in and since he seems like a real decent guy, I think he may be making a mistake and I kind of want to help him out by talking to people who know.

His story is not mine to tell, but he's been beset by a few tragedies over a couple of years and now he's selling everything -the farm and all his equipment.

Among all of it, he has a late 1950 Regular C with almost complete cultivators (C-254). The few missing pieces I can find for about three hundred bucks. The tractor is running, but stuck in third gear. He was asking $1800 for it and I thought that was reasonable enough. I was going to buy it, even though I think it might be near the high end of reasonable, because I want the cultivators. I was going to see if I could make sense of the shifting issue (fighting rear end with the cover and all the headache that comes with opening that up), and try to sell the tractor afterward and make some of that money back. I called to tell him I wanted to buy it today and he says he's sent it off to have the transmission/shifter looked at because once it's fixed, he can ask more for it. I understand the notion, but I kind of want to call him back and warn him off of spending too much money on it. I don't think an unrestored-but-otherwise-operating-properly regular C with cultivators is going to command more than $2k in upstate NY, and I expect he'll have more than the $200 difference sunk into the shifter repair. What do you think?

Now before you answer, I know there are 6546842 curmudgeons all over the web with "I'd never pay that for that machine...", and your opinions on the merits of the C and all that. I get that YOU may not pay that, but I'd like to know what people think about MARKET value today. After all this guy's been through, I don't want him to lose money he has on the table and I can't spend much more than he's asking for it now.

Thanks for any help

Some pics I took for reference

IMG_20190309_125250218.jpg

IMG_20190309_125244869.jpg

IMG_20190309_125229557_TOP.jpg

IMG_20190309_125224428_TOP.jpg

Last year I bought decent c with full cultivaters for $1000 had to clean carb and it was ready to go in Ky it was at a dealer and he didn’t won’t to fool with it I think 

• Thanks 1

Problem is it's too wide of a range. Here you'd be lucky to get 1500 for a near perfect C with a cultivator. You seem to think that it's worth 1800 as is in your area. It varies area to area like that.

I do agree that he isn't going to make enough to cover repairs. That's based on most shops here. They are going to claim at least 3 hours at 80 an hour.

There was a guy near me who was selling a couple of M farmalls with the jungle gym loaders on them. Well worn work cloths tractors with poor rubber. Doubt either one had ever been inside overnight. He started asking 3500 each. He kept relisting them on Craigslist. After about 6 months he started to drop the price. First it was 3400, then 3300. Last time I saw them listed he still had both and was down to 1500 each. I got bored and stopped watching.

The point is there can be a wide range between asking and selling price.

Then of course there is always some friend or family member that assumes that because it's old it's valuable.

Kinda sad. Something like a nice H or M worth 1000-1200.....and you can pay 500-600 for a nice restored plow and another 500-600 for a restored cultivator. Implements in good condition are getting to where they are nearly more valuable than the tractor.

Rick

If he fixes or not, it sounds like you want to buy it AND help out a friend. 

$1800 is a fair price for getting a tractor with attachment you want and helping out. 

Find out where he took it, stop the repairs and write a check. 

• Like 1

There's two on Craigslist right now supposed to be running driving one said it was used last year both cuiltvator narrow front one is 1200 another 1500 also some cuiltvators by there self one pair 225 the other 250. That's prices here though IMHO there easy to find cheap down here because tobacco is about out the door and the few ones that still do it are quiting each day and there is a lot of those tractors around here. 

That is $1500 tractor at best in this area. I wouldn’t worry to much about warning him, its his choice. He could have got more than fair price as is but wants to chase the last dollar. He should know fair market value as seller. Might be a reason hes no longer farming. Some people are their own worst enemy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Problem is it's too wide of a range. Here you'd be lucky to get 1500 for a near perfect C with a cultivator. You seem to think that it's worth 1800 as is in your area. It varies area to area like that.

I do agree that he isn't going to make enough to cover repairs. That's based on most shops here. They are going to claim at least 3 hours at 80 an hour.

There was a guy near me who was selling a couple of M farmalls with the jungle gym loaders on them. Well worn work cloths tractors with poor rubber. Doubt either one had ever been inside overnight. He started asking 3500 each. He kept relisting them on Craigslist. After about 6 months he started to drop the price. First it was 3400, then 3300. Last time I saw them listed he still had both and was down to 1500 each. I got bored and stopped watching.

The point is there can be a wide range between asking and selling price.

Then of course there is always some friend or family member that assumes that because it's old it's valuable.

Kinda sad. Something like a nice H or M worth 1000-1200.....and you can pay 500-600 for a nice restored plow and another 500-600 for a restored cultivator. Implements in good condition are getting to where they are nearly more valuable than the tractor.

Rick

I think Rick is on to the implements here.  Complete cultivators here would be more desired than the tractor.

1800 seems high to me if i dont know who im buying it from.

If it were a friend of mine and I was the one buying it i wouldnt argue over a couple hundred dollars,  itll come out in the wash or maybe i still owe them from previous unpaid favors.

$1800 is a bit on the high side, but that being said, I would probably pay that for it. I'm not one to try to bring a price down if it's within reach of fair. Especially if you understand and believe the story behind the Who/what/where/why. I personally go by what the value of it is to myself. What something is worth to myself will probably be way different than what it's worth to another. If you feel the price is reasonable to yourself and your comfortable with it, go for it if you want it 

2 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Implements in good condition are getting to where they are nearly more valuable than the tractor.

Rick

I once paid $1000 for a parts tractor with a mounted plow hanging on it. Setting next to it was a restored tractor that the owner had planned to hang the plow on once restored. It only brought $800. I kinda looked like a fool winching my prize parts tractor onto my trailer when the restored tractor's buyer came to collect it after the auction. I even had to help him get it started and then watch as he drove away smiling. All I could do was continue cranking on the winch. Honestly,  I got what I wanted and was happy, but it was a little depressing. The other guy wondered why I was willing to pay so much for a non-running tractor. I had to explain that it was the plow I was after. 

I have a complete two way plow for a C. I guess I should try and sell it... I think the wide front adds to the price considerably to some. The cultivators are worth a few hundred or so. The tractor is 1200 or so ready to use . Location is King. It would be worth more in Alaska

LOL Guys that's what I keep saying. They just ain't making them implements like that no more. Even just mechanical lift towed plows are getting up there in price. Real popular now to take your pretty restored tractor to a show or parade with an implement, preferably one made at least by the same maker as the tractor. Cause what good is a tractor if you can get any implements for it?

Would I pay 1800 for a C? Or a large chunk of change for an implement? Well we ain't talking about me. I'm not knocking it. Just my observations.

If a guy has a tractor and wants a specific implement for it that's on him.

The OP ask. And IMO 1800 is a bit high for a C. A C with a cultivator that the OP wants is a whole new game. They ain't making them cultivators no more!

Rick

1800$ is tops and me and rick are in roughly the same market. Up ricks way they bring a little more than they do down by me but it only varies by a couple 100 bucks. That wide front is more valuable as is the implement. The tractor alone honestly even fixed isnt worth much more than 1000$. We paid 1200 for a super c with a 3pt hitch running and driving nice and had an older repaint. Its the later super c with the better engine and water pump. There just isnt much use for em and a lot were made.

Do a Craigslist search via Searchtempest or your favorite search engine and you will find lots of C's, Super C's, and cultivators for those tractors available.  The problem is their location.  Once you drive 300 miles (just using that number for sake of conversation) and save $330 it's about a wash.  I can refer you to a man out east with cultivator parts available.  In fact he is going to meet me at RPRU 2019 in Bloomsburg, PA in June with those parts that I need.  I would much prefer a Super C with a fast hitch.  That is what I grew up and learned on and have a soft heart for them.  The iron in my shed tells the same story. My gut feeling is that you can find something as good or better for $1,500 or less.  Most likely much less.  That being said I am also guilty of paying too much for too little, go to an auction and come home with the same empty trailer, etc.

Just got the pictures to load mine looks a little better but is a narrow front never see a wide front  down here. They are  right one in ever tobacco barn around here we had three before the government got out of tobacco.

There is one concern I have is the tractor stuck in gear. To me that a tough one to diagnose without investigators in side differential .the cost to get that corrected might be considered , might be a lot. 

I find out more about it unless you don’t care and will fix it whatever it cost.

So I would say what’s the cost of fixing the gear lock . 

I cant tell ya what it going be or how much ,good luck .

Iirc i have seen a couple on craigslist around here in last year for 1800 to 2500 ish that looked decent. BUT i think both were Narrow front , one might have had belly mower. Not sure how that translates to New York values. 

3 hours ago, bitty said:

I have a complete two way plow for a C. I guess I should try and sell it... I think the wide front adds to the price considerably to some. The cultivators are worth a few hundred or so. The tractor is 1200 or so ready to use . Location is King. It would be worth more in Alaska

Ah. Yep

I paid 1800 for an M that ran ragged and drove, fast forward to now I’ve got 7k into an M that still needs a paint job. It’s a 1200$ tractor at best, sorry the guy is having a rough go but the tractor is worth what it’s worth. 

The value of a piece of equipment is in the eyes of the buyer..

If you want it, and am willing to pay the price, then do it.

If it don't feel right, then walk away.

No one will "Hee Haw" you over a few bucks for what you wanted.

I would grab it but I still use those for cultivating berries

Around here, decent looking, running, operational C's (w/o implements) set on Craigslist for a while priced at $1500.  There's a decent 200 on there right now, priced at $1300.  Runs and everything.  Fairly new tires.

So in TN, the OP's friend's tractor MIGHT bring $1800 w/ the cultivators IF it was basically operational (which it isn't).

HOPE THIS HELPS!

if I read right the cultivator needs $300 in parts to be complete. You should be able to get a good complete set from tobacco country delivered for not much more than that. T he wide front has value to some people, but in the end it's your money.

Thanks guys, for all the meaningful input. To be clear, the guys isn't my friend, per se. He just seems like a decent guy but he's misguided by the asking prices on craigslist, and I think he's gonna lose money on the repair. He doesn't really wanna hear me out, so I'm gonna forget about it. It's too bad. I hate to see him lose out. I know I usually pay on the high end, but that's because I hate chasing things. (says the guy that has bought a tractor from Wisconsin and one from Michigan in the last year).

I think I will look in Kentucky. My daughter is playing hoops there in July, so I might pick something up while I'm down there if I can find it.

16 chickens and a tambourine. 

I hate it when guys advertise something and then say if i get this done the price will go up. Do it before you put it for sale or leave it alone. I walk away from these deals. If he wants to fix it for the original price...fine. Don't go playing games....