newfeng

International 2400 D Backhoe loader Dash Repair

When I purchased my International 2400 D diesel none of the gauges were wired or working.  I am posting this in case someone is looking to repair or upgrade their 

dash panel

Here is the original  instrument panel

dash-pic.jpg

dash-pic-3.jpg

Here is upgraded instrument panel  with new working oil ammeter and temp gauges  Fuel sending unit needs to be fixed later . Also added new ignition switch in a more convenient location.  Cut out a sheet of clear  1/8 inch lexcan to match existing panel   and painted back of it with white paint and masked circular holes for the new gages purchased on ebay.  

20190311_094148.jpg

Nice job!

I did similar repairs to our very similar 464 Utility in 2008.

I made a mistake and used VDO automotive gauges that are not really designed for outside use and now after many years the needles sometimes stick and colors have faded.  Next time I will use sealed marine gauges. ISSIPRO (sp) has a good reputation in marine.

I tried the lexan cover but kept breaking it so left it off, possibly caused the gauge problem later.

I had the gauge cast panel power coated and that is still shiny.

I am jealous of your machine because you have steering wheel with no cracks, But I still have the original cap.

With a cab having the switch relocated to the dash is a nice touch but since we have no cab it would fill with water ever time the panel gets wet.

Just noticed you were in New Foundland, I spent a week in St Johns in July 1989, loved every moment of my stay!

Latest pictures of our 464. 

We do pasture mowing so it has many lights so we can operate after the sun goes down to beat the summer heat here in the US Southwest. The tall sun shade is because our primary driver is a tall person and likes to stand up once in awhile. Last change was to replace the CAV filter with the glass bowl to a larger metal spin-on filter. We broke the bowl several times in the past years on the CAV.  Added the heavy steel flatbar because we cut heavy brush and they protect the fuel and oil and fuel system  lines and filters.

These machines were very good new and properly maintained still are workers.

IMG_3039.JPG

IMG_3037.JPG

IMG_3038.JPG

Oleman nice machine. I have the steering wheel cover and I need to get it cleaned up and put back on. Nice idea about the marine gauges. I should have posted here before I bought the new ones. The ones I purchased were International so maybe they will be okay.

What is the contraption on top of the fuel filter.

Im glad you enjoyed your stay in  St John's  the windy city.I recently bought five acres of land near Pecos TX on ebay. It was a bit of an impulse buy but I may do something with it  later on. I visited there a couple of years ago via Forth Worth and really appreciated the friendliness of the folks we met. We even got  asked to a wedding by a complete stranger. 

What is the contraption on top of the fuel filter.

That is just a universal spin-on fuel filter base (connection housing). It is designed for fuel entry and exit from the left or right side and unused ports have a pipe plug in them. In our case fuel enters and exits from the left side.

It is sold by the WIX filter company.  It would normally be on a large diesel engine and in some instances in multiple filter arrangements.  I am not a purist, I will use anything that will get the job done.

Out in West Texas water is king so you must have water rights or available water on the property.  Temperature can be brutal in August. I like the area but  am retired over here north east of Dallas and get over to the west  every year or so.  The culture is very different between Fort Worth and Dallas.    Fort Worth still maintains a western US culture where Dallas is just a big American city.

Good luck with your projects.

The connection housing is interesting  I was wondering if it was something I could use on mine. My goal is similar to yours to get a reliable fairly decent looking machine.  Im not planning on doing a restoration. 

My biggest issue is all the pins are loose, cylinder leaks and the hoses are in bad shape.  Its my retirement project to keep me out of the house and avoid working on the wifes  honey do list. 

Agree you will have your hands full with all the "stuff" on a loader backhoe machine.  When we got the 464 in 2007 basically everything that moved was worn out but it was all together and had no sheet metal damage.  Started and ran fine but smoked and leaked when hot and used lots of engine oil.  Since then I have learned about red utility tractors! The only peripherals we have are  a rotary cutter and a 3-point hydraulic boom crane that runs off the remote hydraulic system.  I made it to replace the 3-point cherry picker boom and I just wanted to do something with a hydraulic cylinder and heavy welding.  It ended up working very well.  I have used it to load the rotary cutter and other equipment onto the trailer.

Finding a fuel filter is also a project,  because there is no standard filter therefor  there is no standard base.  The one I located was about the same size as the CAV filter base and actually mounted on the L-bracket that IH used for the CAV filter but I had to drill and tap 3 new holes in the bracket, the filter was used on a Cat engines in medium duty trucks that used the 7.2 liter 6 cylinder engine.  I picked a filter and base that I thought would be available in the general market place.

Wix numbers.

NEW SPIN ON FUEL FILTER COMBINES PRIMARY AND SECONDARY WITH A SINGLE 6 MICRON FILTER AND WATER SEPARATER WITH WATER DRAIN.

WIX 33932 WITH A NEW BASE WIX 24770

This base is 1-16 male fitting to mount a filter with 1/2” IPS  I/O so it will mount many diff filters. The new filter was selected to FIT on the tractor.  I only want to install this once.

Sounds like I'm going to have lots of fun . My iP leaks from inspection plate when hot as well. I think it is a Bosch brand br type. I'm sure someone has an idea of the fix for that.  Love these old machines no computers  to f*&k up 

Hate to tell you this but, If it has the same problem we had it is leaking from the main input to the injection head (the little hump in the middle at the top of the FIP) and leaking off the pump around the inspection plate.

After running for an hour or so it would drip fuel, after discovering what a pump reseal would cost, I decided to run it until it HAD to be repaired, 3 years later with the original pump still leaking, I found,  (what I discovered was good FIP) on ebay for $275. US plus shipping.  I got it initially because I wanted a spare. Today it runs the little D179   with good governor action and no leaks, and the original  is a spare. Both are VA CR FIPs. Did no pay any expert for o-ring replacement.

Our 1977 464  machine has the CR IP externally the obvious difference is the fuel lines exit in line with the pump on the CR the BR exits at a radial angle.  The tag on the FI pump (if it it still on) has model id numbers. The BR and CR interchange but each requires their own FIP to injector lines.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks for the info I will check it out further once the snow melts around the backhoe hopefully by end April. Here is a bad picture I took when I first got the machine it is cleaner now. The tag is missing but based on your pictures it looks like a BR. I already had a set of new  return lines made up at a local  hydraulic shop which I  installed because they were leaking.  A month after that the pump started leaking.  Rebuilding a pump is outside my comfort zone and  getting them rebuilt is expensive.  Might have to wire a coffee can under the pump for now and call it the auxiliary gas tank. 

injector-pump.jpg

return-lines.jpg

Agree that is probably a Bosch VA BR FIP. 

How are the brakes?  Our brakes are the last thing that still need fixin on the 464, disks / seals are worn out. 

Brakes are good once the engine gets running. The first start requires a sniff of ether after that  she is good for the rest of the day.The parking brake is weak but not enough for me to take them apart and fix it. Thats what the front end loader is for. When I first got the backhoe the previous owner made a point to go over the stop start and run lever which I did for the first two weeks until I determined the cable was broke and wasn't even connected to the fuel injection pump as you can see in the pics.  The previous owner hadnt heard of a grease gun judging by the pins. On the plus side I found a couple of free vise grips attached to the machine.  Never time to do it right but always time to do it again. The old girl needs some lovin new fluids for a start.  I got her cheap so I can afford to put some money into her. 

As I slowly complete the fixup I plan to post the progress here. I couldn't find much info on the 2400 or 454 online.  As you probably know there are some repair videos on youtube Canadian Redneck channel which goes over dismantling the brakes on a 454. ☺️

Cast a wider net in your search. All the IH models 385,454,464,484,574,584,674,684,784, 84 hydro 87 hydro and others share the same service manual, always use the parts manual to identify parts and it is on line at CIH.  Engines are looked up by engine not by application. But the Neuss German derived D179 through D358 (the odd ones are the D155 D246 and D310 with a shorter stroke or larger bore) in 3, 4 and 6 cylinder versions are all very similar. The D179 engine was used in many applications up until 1996 or so.  The industrial versions are not in the normal service manuals but are essentially the same. Except, where is the  service data for the loader and back hoe attachments?

How is spring coming?

It is starting to appear. Im itching to get back at the IH. Its calling for some warmer weather next week so the snow should take a cutting.

We had NO snow or ice here this winter season, great rain fall last year so should be a good year for land mowing.

pdated a few minutes ago

°F
C
67°
37°
Precipitation: 0%
Wind: 4 MPH
Humidity: 25%

Do you add anything to your diesel fuel for pump lubrication 2 cycle oil or atf . I've been reading some posts about sulphur content 

I started using atf in a 7.3 international idi in an f350 about 1995. Stopped using it when I got a 7.3 powerstroke in 1997. About 2004 (iirc) the fuel economy reduced by about 50% and I tried Howes lubricator. Reduced the fuel consumption until it was better than new. Still using it in all my diesels 

Thanks for the info. How much ATF did you use per tank. Ill check out Howes lubricator.

I never use after market elixirs in my engines.  BECAUSE I have not seen any engine mfg in my 60 years of running engines recommend them.

Also have never had an engine failure due to lack of XYZ elixir. Probably saved enough money over the years to pay for a decent engine overhaul.

Hi everyone, 

First off its nice to see another yellow IH machine. I wonder what part # is on your starter? I too have a yellow IH, its a 250A. Its a little confusing which starter i can use to replace mine. From what i gather the 250A crosses to a 574. The starter i have looks to be a rebuild at some point. So part number i have is for a starter/generator , a frankeinstarter.  So since there are different transmissions (torque converter, synchromesh, hydro) i see different starters and solenoids used for different transmission type. Would a wrong starter type affect the different transmission, or starting. Say a using a starter for hydro on torque converter machine? Info is hard to come by so any insight on another IH industrial especially if built overseas or living & working would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

20180806_175337.jpg

This is what was on my starter when I had it rebuilt a year ago hope it helps

Starter for tractor

Delco remy

Series 30MT

Type 175

Model 1113203

Anderson Indiana

s/72807

10 teeth on gear

Newfeng shoot me an email, i am also in Newfoundland and have a 2400D. Mic_2023@hotmail.com

-Mike