npanko

m&w turbo for a 966

anybody no where I could find an m%w turbo for a 966?  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

IMG_0979.jpg

Trade it in buy a 1066 problem solved! 

• Like 1

I HAD one on my 966................... took junk off and put the good stuff on from a parted out 1066 and never looked back.

I'm with all the other guys , don't waist your time trying to find the M&W , just get the stuff off a 10,14,1566 . Change out the fan , air cleaner and make sure your radiator is in good /clean shape .

Danny 

• Like 2

Grab the center hood over the fuel tank as well.  Hole for the filler neck is slightly offset.

Greg

So just for curiosity sake, if I want to turn my 966 into a 1466 by adding a turbo, I walk up to a junk 1066 and take the following

• Exhaust manifold with turbo and exhaust elbow
  • Turbo oil drain tube and fitting on block
  • Turbo oil feed line and fitting on block
  • Air cleaner 
  • Fuel tank
  • Fuel tank hood section
  • engine fan

Anything else?

39 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Anything else?

If you are going to push it..... change the water pump, non-turbo 4 fin impeller, turbo 8 fin iirc........

Oil pump is wider on the turbo engine. If ever overhauling it and the extra oil cooler jets 

• Like 1

The right hand hood with the exhaust outlet is also different for a turboed vs non turboed tractor, hole is in a different location.

1 hour ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

So just for curiosity sake, if I want to turn my 966 into a 1466 by adding a turbo, I walk up to a junk 1066 and take the following

• Air cleaner 
  • Fuel tank
  • Fuel tank hood section
  • engine fan

Anything else?

The 966 only has a 414 engine, a 1466 is a 436. The radiator may also have more rows of tubes. 

2 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

The 966 only has a 414 engine, a 1466 is a 436. The radiator may also have more rows of tubes. 

Ah yes, I always forget the 966 was the D414; the 986 was the D436.   Ok, so I want to make a 966 into a 1066....😰

Updated list:

• Air cleaner 
  • Fuel tank
  • Fuel tank hood section
  • engine fan
  • Right hand hood

Possible upgrade items:

• Water pump
  • Radiator
  • oil pump
  • cooling jets

44 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Ah yes, I always forget the 966 was the D414; the 986 was the D436.   Ok, so I want to make a 966 into a 1066....😰

Updated list:

• Air cleaner 
  • Fuel tank
  • Fuel tank hood section
  • engine fan
  • Right hand hood

Possible upgrade items:

• Water pump
  • Radiator
  • oil pump
  • cooling jets

Looks like you have all the parts listed!! 👍🏻

• Like 1

Every radiator we had were the same from 186, 1566, 1586, 1066 unless we had recored some larger over time. 

Anytime I recore a radiator I have them put as big of a core as available if it will fit 

I could never figure out why the 766 and 966 had a 37 gallon tank, and the 10s and 14s had 42.  Yet the larger tank had room for the turbo elbow.

How much money could they have saved by putting the smaller tank on the seven and the nine?  That extra five gallons would have let my seven run an extra hour or two.

the M&W is fine if you are wanting to NOT make it a larger tractor! I more or less ruined a 71 856 IH by adding a M&W turbo kit on it. Sure it pulled 130 on the dyno and i was planning on using it beside my 1066 no way but i ended up trading it off a year and half later on a 1086. The engine needed overhauled and i took a pretty hard hit with a tractor with 4500 hours and a worn out 407. Never again would i do it. 

There were 3 of us that installed turbos on tractors that one spring of 79 mine, galens and leroys. galen and i traded our 856's off in summer of 1980 and leroy purchased a 1066 to do his heavy work with. But out here in Colorado we have hot hot summers and we were all trying to use all the power of our tractors. It just didn't work good.