4th gen ih lover

IH sweet corn pickers

Hello everybody, I was wondering if anybody has any info about the IH 24 sweet corn picker or snapper or the IH 34hm-21,22 snapper and sweet corn picker. Has anybody ran one and how well do they work? I was thinking about finding one to use to pick our 2-3 acres of sweet corn we plant for fun. If anybody has anything to say about it, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

• Like 1

Might find some good info here:

1 hour ago, 4th gen ih lover said:

Hello everybody, I was wondering if anybody has any info about the IH 24 sweet corn picker or snapper or the IH 34hm-21,22 snapper and sweet corn picker. Has anybody ran one and how well do they work? I was thinking about finding one to use to pick our 2-3 acres of sweet corn we plant for fun. If anybody has anything to say about it, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

That would be fun , good luck in your search for one .  We love to frequent farmers markets and support the vendors .

Some day we hope to have a booth at one with a product to sell . 

We have a heck of a time with racoons getting in our sweet corn . Last year I spend two hundred dollars on seed, had a great crop and ended up with enough for one meal , coons destroyed the rest . I even had an electric fence around the patch .  I think I am just going to buy it at the farmers market this year,

25 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

That would be fun , good luck in your search for one .  We love to frequent farmers markets and support the vendors .

We have a heck of a time with racoons getting in our sweet corn . Last year I spend two hundred dollars on seed, had a great crop and ended up with enough for one meal , coons destroyed the rest . I even had an electric fence around the patch .  I think I am just going to buy it at the farmers market this year,

We don't have to many coon problems, but 2 years ago we planted 3 varieties of sweet corn. One was a short season and it didn't get tall at all and it was destroyed by the coons. The other varieties didn't get hit bad. Our normal go to varity for sweet corn is bodashious. It makes great ears and stores awesome and holds ton of flavor compared to most other varieties we have tried over the years.  We get the from growmark.

• Thanks 1

I have a #24 and wondered the same thing!  We have grown several acres of sweet corn in the past and picking it by hand gets old, real fast.  I found this picture online and thought, that's a #24 picking sweet corn 🤯🤯🤯🤯   All of the literature I've seen regarding pickers, none of them makes any reference to picking sweet corn, so I didn't know what kind of job it would do.  I have a parts book for the #24 and, if I recall correctly (been a few years since I looked at it) it doesn't show any different part numbers for the snapper rolls.  We have a Uni-System and I was considering a Byron/Pixall sweet corn picker, but at that point our sweet corn operation lost steam.  I never really examined the Byron, so I'm not sure what they look like on the inside, my concern with the #24 is if it would damage the bottoms of the soft ear as it pulled it off a hearty green stalk.

#24 sweet corn.jpg

• Like 1

You need a picker w/o the husking bed---I'm pretty sure that some companies used to call those snappers.   Unless you really want to run a IH, rather than look for a mounted picker, fInd a New Idea pull type.    Lots easier to use if you just have a few acres.   

Is there a way to bypass the Husking Bed?

That appears to be the only difference between sweet corn and field corn.

Canning companies in our area used to have IH 234 mounted pickers to harvest sweet corn. I think there were several setup packages to attach to the picker for sweet corn.

35 minutes ago, Rainman said:

Canning companies in our area used to have IH 234 mounted pickers to harvest sweet corn. I think there were several setup packages to attach to the picker for sweet corn.

That's a similar to the 24. I read that the 24 came in a regular verision and like 120 sweet corn versions were made. I also read there was a kit to switch the regular 24 over to sweet corn.

IH made a one row pull type picker, a 1PR, and the version with no husking bed, just a snapper was a 1PRS.  Same thing with the 2 row, 2PRS.

I imagine New Idea, Wood Bros, and other full line equipment companies made snappers too.

10 hours ago, lorenzo said:

This year get a few pie plates of golden malrin fly bait and grape soda, go heavy on the golden, they won’t get far.  You might even get a few stray cats, skunks, and who knows what?

• Thanks 1

We had a 24 picker back in my younger days. We grew quite a bit of sweet corn back then  ut the canning company did all the picking. We picked quite of bit of popcorn  with it a  couple years. Popcorn company said it didn't stress crack the out hull like the 2MHs and such. It left a lot of husks on the corn, especially Italy if corn was wet. We put the ear corn in round d Bvb Helen wire cribs & it wasn't unusual to have to use dynamite when shelling corn out of the cribs.

Find a 55 gallon metal drum without a top, and lay it on its side.  Put a boombox tuned to the loudest metal-rock station you can find inside.   We did this for years to keep the coons out of the sweet corn.   Then we got rid of the cattle and  the old corn crib and the coons left.    Course, maybe modern coons like metal....need to tune it to a political commentary station today!

• Haha 1

Would the boombox work on deer?

No idea, we don't have deer near us.  Don't see why not---the noise is very annoying, echoing in the barrel.

4 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

.need to tune it to a political commentary station today!

That might stunt your corn

• Haha 1

if you are looking for an IH great

for anyone looking for 1 in general this beast is in Pa  on 3/22

fi41.cgi

A sweet corn picker is a typical picker without a husking bed, the #24 and 34hm series pickers are getting extremely hard to find in usable condition and parts availability is scarce. Your cheapest and most efficient source would be to find a new idea mounted picker with just a hopper or just remove the husking rolls. If you are on facebook there is a really good group dedicated solely to IH pickers and a group of guys with great knowledge of them. 

3 hours ago, farmall1941 said:

A sweet corn picker is a typical picker without a husking bed, the #24 and 34hm series pickers are getting extremely hard to find in usable condition and parts availability is scarce. Your cheapest and most efficient source would be to find a new idea mounted picker with just a hopper or just remove the husking rolls. If you are on facebook there is a really good group dedicated solely to IH pickers and a group of guys with great knowledge of them. 

I am, what's the name of the group? I'd really like to find a 24 or 34. We have run all IH and case IH tractors since 1948 so it would be cool to get a matching set I think.

3 minutes ago, 4th gen ih lover said:

I am, what's the name of the group? I'd really like to find a 24 or 34. We have run all IH and case IH tractors since 1948 so it would be cool to get a matching set I think.

Ih mounted and pull type pickers

I have a 1PR picker. It wouldn't take much to make it to the husking bed not do anything besides move the corn to the elevator and it wouldn't husk it (or try to)

On 3/6/2019 at 7:14 AM, Jeff-C-IL said:

Find a 55 gallon metal drum without a top, and lay it on its side.  Put a boombox tuned to the loudest metal-rock station you can find inside.   We did this for years to keep the coons out of the sweet corn.   Then we got rid of the cattle and  the old corn crib and the coons left.    Course, maybe modern coons like metal....need to tune it to a political commentary station today!

Coons mostly like RAP Music R & B, but Classical Music puts them to sleep.