canopy tractors, 66 two post vs 66 4 post vs 86 4 post

How do you like the various rops canopy tractors?

I have had a 1066 with a two post canopy for decades and really like it. The shade is nice in the summer and visibility is good but it is really loud when working, I wear hearing protection.

I recently got a 1486 with 4 post rops. The shade is nice but it has poor viability compared to the 1066 two post. It is much quieter than the 1066 two post.

I have never drove a 66 series 4 post rops.

I love looks of the 66 series two post and the visibility it has. However it is very noisy. I wish I could make it as quiet as the 86 4 post.

What is yalls opinion?

Any ways to quieter the two post?

Thx-Ace

I don't like ROPS mostly due to the noise.  An umbrella provides plenty of shade and never gets in the way.  If it does, it's easy to remove.  

As far as the 4 post "open station" 86 series..... I'd just assume have a cab.  It's basically a cab with no glass anyway, why not just complete it. 

All that said, you are safer with a ROPS, but I live in Illinois.  You can see for 10 miles if it wasn't for the trees. (We do have hills but not like mountainous terrain.)  Rollovers happen, but not often and usually by the guys mowing ditches.  

I've seen some guys rubber wrap the axle where the posts mount and said it helps.  Only other way I know to quiet it is to remove it.......But I am not advocating removing a "safety device".

Ace, i took the 2 post ROPS off my 1066 black stripe because it was terribly loud. 756 i bought last year with 2 post rops was noisy but not loud. Took it off 756 and put on 1026 and its like its not even on it as for noise. But that rops is full of sand. Wasnt many 4 post rops around here. More common on gulf coastal bend. I drove a hydro 100 and 1468 with 4 post rops. I liked it because it was something different. Local pecan harvester has a 1456 with added 4 post rops. prefer the 2 post rops due to less metal in the way to work around. I do have a 4 post 86 platform i need to get rid of. FIL and my Granddad both have 686s with 2 post rops and i like them. If i find another ROPS its going on a 1456. 

20180624_201433.jpg

20181127_171505.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_4982_zps7a09f55f.jpg

20181106_115028_001.jpg

On the 66 series the 4 post is much harder to climb on because of the front posts are obstruction to get there. The noise is similar also. The reason for the 86 being less noise is the rubber ISO mounts

The reason 2-post canopies are noisy is because there is a giant cymbal hanging over your head.

On the 86 series, you have a windshield, and I'm pretty sure, a head liner. You'll note that newer tractors have fiberglass canopies.

You can significantly quiet down the 2-post canopies with some "Hush Mat" or other similar products. It's a self-adhesive dense rubber sheet that breaks up the resonance of the canopy. It doesn't even need to be completely lined with hush mat. Here is a video showing the dramatic difference just one strip of it can make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMzarz4kKJA

• Like 1

x2 on the big reflector.   the 806 shown in my tag...most of the noise was reflected off the canopy.   Adding hushmat or cab liner material to the underside of the canopy makes a huge difference.  Even spraying it with bedliner material would be a big improvement.

• Like 2

Wow--check out the step on that 826----that just makes me hurt looking at it.  I've slipped off those steps way too many times, and bent like that.......OUCH.

14 hours ago, Long Farms said:

Ace, i took the 2 post ROPS off my 1066 black stripe because it was terribly loud. 756 i bought last year with 2 post rops was noisy but not loud. Took it off 756 and put on 1026 and its like its not even on it as for noise. But that rops is full of sand. Wasnt many 4 post rops around here. More common on gulf coastal bend. I drove a hydro 100 and 1468 with 4 post rops. I liked it because it was something different. Local pecan harvester has a 1456 with added 4 post rops. prefer the 2 post rops due to less metal in the way to work around. I do have a 4 post 86 platform i need to get rid of. FIL and my Granddad both have 686s with 2 post rops and i like them. If i find another ROPS its going on a 1456. 

20180624_201433.jpg

20181127_171505.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_4982_zps7a09f55f.jpg

20181106_115028_001.jpg

Wish you were closer id buy that 4 post! 

2 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Wow--check out the step on that 826----that just makes me hurt looking at it.  I've slipped off those steps way too many times, and bent like that.......OUCH.

Replaced them right away!  🙂

Mine is a two post with canopy. Lots of nice shade but is noisy. Don’t forget the reason ROPS are there. SAFETY!  Seat belt is required for ROPS to do what it is designed to do, SAVE LIVES!!D1D396FD-FE70-4E1D-9F58-A581BD725E83.thumb.jpeg.8edc95ff24fc72f35e851da76f4f4268.jpeg

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, MarkG said:

Are the 2 post and 4 post on the 66 series manufactured and rated as a roll over protection device? Or were they just made for shade?

The original factory-built ROPS were certified for roll over protection.  They have the tag riveted to them.  They were equipped with seat belts and designed to keep the operator safe.  Farmington Implement DVD 11 or 12 has the IH film discussing the ROPS with footage of roll over testing.  Many of today's reproduction "sun shades "  have not been tested and certified. 

• Thanks 1