hobbyfarm

Combative Forum Members

8 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

It took them that long to find enough things to throw Farnsworth under the bus to get New Holland.................

You know I didn't even think about it when I posted that they got the New Holland's from Farnsworth.

1 hour ago, pete23 said:

Never say anything bad about a John Deere.  You will get jumped on from all sides.  You need to run down the IH line of equipment if you want to be popular around the green guys.  Works every time.  

I  worked for IH dealer 37 years and heard all those green stories of their superiority for   all those years.  Then I went to work at the Deere dealer for my last four years of punching a time clock.  Darn, those green ones need work also.  Never seemed to run out of work. Two bangers on up to the 8000 series.   

Customer would stand there and say, go ahead and fix it .  It is a good tractor.  I know, lot of money but get her done.   At IH dealer, the customer would usually cry and cry.  His neighbor told him he never had to fix his John Deere. Not all red guys, but a substantial number.  

I put more money into those green machines than I ever put in the red ones.  Highest repair bill I did at Deere dealer was into a 4440 which I considered one of the best tractors they built.  It had busted the differential carrier and the new one was improved. 

John Deere makes a lot of good tractors and other machinery but they are not the only ones.  What it usually comes down to is what you are familiar with, have had good service from and probably, what Dad always had when you were a kid.

The guys at the Deere dealer all treated me great which is more than I  could say for the new owners of the CaseIH dealer, that being the reason  I left there.

To sum it up, I never liked John Deere tractors, never will like John Deere tractors but that doesn't mean someone else can't like John Deere tractors.  But, when I worked on them I did my very best to get the job done right regardless of the color  running in my veins. 

Hey Pete to change the subject a bit. This morning on Facebook it popped up about the vent pipe to the timing window on a 856. I know I deleted one once so I googled it and found a well written response of yours on yesterday’s tractors . It was about a 2510 with same thing and your response from 2014 explained everything you needed to know about the hose from return to timing window. Thanks for putting your knowledge out there.

1 hour ago, RKO said:

Just as well stir the pot and say you need to use John Deere oil in your 1086 😃

By golly we do in our 1066, use JD ether, one block heater sometimes. And a 650 amp car battery with small cables. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Funny how you used the exact same contrived example to disprove the contrived example. You wouldn't go from 1H-TA to 4L-DD in real world conditions, same as you would not go 6-7-8 on a Deere 4020 synchro.

Can anybody explain Deere's synchro shift pattern, and why they had such odd gear pairings?

I have to second this one. Hauled many loads of silage with a 1066 and 1466, never had to use low range. Even with a 500 bu. manure spreader on the 1066 I could take off loaded in Hi 1. Sure, the front tires were 3 feet off the ground sometimes, but I never needed Lo. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

I have to second this one. Hauled many loads of silage with a 1066 and 1466, never had to use low range. Even with a 500 bu. manure spreader on the 1066 I could take off loaded in Hi 1. Sure, the front tires were 3 feet off the ground sometimes, but I never needed Lo. 

I’ve never gone from 6th to 7th to 8th on a syncro either.  Both guys came up with extreme examples to defend their position.

Just now, Big Bud guy said:

I’ve never gone from 6th to 7th to 8th on a syncro either.  Both guys came up with extreme examples to defend their position.

Agreed. I’ve driven a syncro JD only once, and not on the road. 

Depending on the load either use 6-8 or 4-7. Having more than i spot to catch reverse was nice when hooking wagons all day long too.

You all need another hobby,  wow

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, AKwelder said:

You all need another hobby,  wow

It's raining here today...😁

11 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Yep, helped a friend with chopping hay. Didn't ever use low range and that was an 806 TA delete (don't know if that's how it came or if some PO had it delete done).

4 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Don't have a lot of time on the 20 series JD but never did that either.

Rick

34 minutes ago, Ihcubguy said:

Never been any closer to that one than on I-180.  I think that one is a Kirovets version though from what I can see from the road.

I have never been near it either. I never noticed that it had ever moved at all. I wondered if they just got it for a jungle gym for the agritainment stuff

34 minutes ago, Ihcubguy said:

Never been any closer to that one than on I-180.  I think that one is a Kirovets version though from what I can see from the road.

I have never been near it either. I never noticed that it had ever moved at all. I wondered if they just got it for a jungle gym for the agritainment stuff

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Funny how you used the exact same contrived example to disprove the contrived example. You wouldn't go from 1H-TA to 4L-DD in real world conditions, same as you would not go 6-7-8 on a Deere 4020 synchro.

Can anybody explain Deere's synchro shift pattern, and why they had such odd gear pairings?

Iv’e made the Hi 1 to Lo 4 and back shift on the go countless times, pulling a big square baler.  That shift will make you curse IH roundly.  TA was weak in that tractor so I didn’t use it.

Edit to add, the gear range for running the big square was from Lo 3 to Hi 2.  It was not unusual in a variable crop to need to jump between 3 of those 4 gears, not counting the TA.  It was a good day when the 1066 got retired from that duty in favor of a Maxxum.

31 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I’ve never gone from 6th to 7th to 8th on a syncro either.

Because you can't that is kinda the point, lol!

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I'm no Deere expert but I believe 6 and 8 and also 4 and 7 were the high and low range of the same gear. I think they were synchronized between them. 

That syncro was something else to drive  the quad range or power shift was so much nicer. Never owned a JD though and probably never will

If you fellows think some here are belligerent. The bash board is way worse .

i was on for about 10 years , I’ll say honestly there are a few on there if I saw in person they would get free martial arts lessons .:) 

Some people grow up ,some don’t , and you have those that insult you from1000

miles away .

pretty safe at that range .

18 minutes ago, krich said:

That syncro was something else to drive  the quad range or power shift was so much nicer. Never owned a JD though and probably never will

Not too bad once you are used to it 

we have a 4010 and a 2630.

1 hour ago, tommyw-5088 said:

If you fellows think some here are belligerent. The bash board is way worse .

i was on for about 10 years , I’ll say honestly there are a few on there if I saw in person they would get free martial arts lessons .:) 

Some people grow up ,some don’t , and you have those that insult you from1000

miles away .

pretty safe at that range .

I left because it turned into 99% trash with almost nothing related to bashing tractors or even farming.  

2 hours ago, superih said:

Because you can't that is kinda the point, lol!

The point is you don’t have to shift into 7th going from 6th to 8th.  Light loads you can get rolling in the 6th and go to 8th without stopping.  Heavy loads you can start in 4th and go to 7th.  Even some of the non deeroids understand that concept.  

1 hour ago, krich said:

The quad range is nothing more then a two speed powershift in front of a syncro.  If anything that should have warped your mind more then a syncro.

4 hours ago, Ihcubguy said:

You know I didn't even think about it when I posted that they got the New Holland's from Farnsworth.

Well, some of the stuff I was told of how it went down annoyed me.......whether it was true or not I will never know, but some of the things Farnsworth did to help save the customers some money was greatly appreciated by us, but I am sure NH wouldn't have approved of it.  

Where was Farnsworth at? The neighbors square baler might have been from there and he bought it at fraleys . I never dealt with them . Hess farm equipment is only 15 miles from us and we haven't bought anything New Holland since the lemon 1431 we bought new