358 NH grinder mixer

Anyone ever dropped a gearbox out of a 358 New Holland mixer? I have a book and it doesn't show any bolt or pins holding the mixing auger on, online looks like a square coupler that should slide out, but I cant get it to budge. Wondering if I need to cut an access hole in the mixing auger lower part to get in with a torch to apply heat, theres not enough room to go underneath 

20190304_181200.jpg

Try parking it under a crane, use chainfall to lift screw off gearbox.  Used that method on a mixer wagon to remove gearbox before.  Good luck, 

To my knowledge it just sits in there. I know I’ve read the 352’s had shear bolts and I think that’s correct. You can see it through the inspection door in the bottom. I thought the 358’s were splined.  Might need a crane. Keep us posted 

I think I can get it hitched to an overhead beam in the shop to pull on auger, I thought about trying to jar it in the opposite direction of rotation, but ran out of time and ambition tonight, haha. I'll try these suggestions tomorrow hopefully. Thanks!

8 hours ago, acem said:

I have a nh 355 and am curious how this works out. Why are you removing the gearbox? Thx-Ace

The main drive shaft had spun on the front bearing before I got it last spring, so shaft was cur out. So I pulled shaft and had it welded and turned down to correct size. With shaft removed, I can see that the input shaft of the gearbox has some play, so I planned on checking it out, input splines have some wear also, may end up replacing the input shaft.

• 1 month later...

Update, we couldn't get the auger to come loose, so I took it to a local machine shop where they lifted on the auger with a forklift and applied heat, beat, etc. They finally got it apart. Its supposed to lift off, it's just a square drive. Bad news is that the square coupling that bolts onto gearbox output shaft is nla and had to be cut off tapered spline shaft in order to drop gearbox out the bottom. They found a coupler that fits the tapered splines on the shaft and are modifying that to a square drive. Input shaft splines were half gone, tapered bearings were a little loose and upper bearing on output shaft was contaminated with feed, dirt, etc that had gotten past seal and was nearly ready to fail. Coupler supposed to be done by end of week, I'll get some pics while reassembling 

1 hour ago, dumbfarmer said:

You’re going to have the price of another good used mixer in it

btdt 

Where do you find a good used one for that price? Around here you get a worn out, very used one for the price he's probably working with. 

A buddy of mine works for a farm that traded grinders a little over a year ago. 1986 NH 358. It had been used a lot, They were the second owners of it. Looked at the dealer they traded it at for a price because we thought about it ourselves to replace the ancient Farmhand. $11,000. It didn't sit there long at that price. Needless to say we're still using the ancient Farmhand.

58 minutes ago, dumbfarmer said:

I spose if it’s a nice one with all hyd and scales and stuff, but around here hardly anyone uses them anymore 

They bring big money here in PA........finding one with a good tank is a challenge these days.

Yeah I know it'll be more than I wanted to spend, but after this it should work for us for many years. It has scales, all hyd load/unload functions as well as unload auger hyd swing and rotate functions.  Dont see many around here, if nice they bring in the 10k plus range, wont have near that in this one

Archived