1066 Fluid Capacity

1 minute ago, J-Mech said:

Speaking of "sophmoric".  Maybe "moronic" is better.  

And as of yet none of the smart mouths have any actual advice to the issue.........

Your right your smart mouth has not gave any advice to the issue yet. 

1 minute ago, J-Mech said:

Speaking of "sophmoric".  Maybe "moronic" is better.  

And as of yet none of the smart mouths have any actual advice to the issue......... every group seems to have those guys too. 

First three replys were the best info, most here don't need to toot their horns if the right info is up.

3 minutes ago, RKO said:

Your right your smart mouth has not gave any advice to the issue yet. 

Better go back and read again.  I made a long post just about the time you showed up to interject your opinion. 

I'm done playing the jr high games boys.  I've got a 13 year old that argues like you guys do.  Like what I post or not, you're just mucking up another thread. 

No place to call someone silly just for asking a question. Regardless of whether or not a person reads the manual (which he said he did) things are easy to miss and  in many cases people here and real world experience can trump what the manual says. 

Im not a mechanic either and never claimed to be. To the original poster, keep learning the way you learn. I’m curious like you are to do what I can. People cannot take knowledge away from you! 😊

• Like 2
On 3/3/2019 at 10:11 AM, Coytee said:

I was under the impression that the 1066 would take about 25 gallons of Hytrans and some people dump another 5 gallons in for good measure.

Looking at my manual for it, it says Reservoir Capacity:  Gear drive.....  "Approximately 22 1/2 gallons"

Did I misunderstand the original logic and 25 gallons is the over-fill (or is over-filled at 30 gallons?)  I have 30 gallons of Hytrans....  it would be nice if I could hold some in reserve to top it off later if needed.  (I have to drive about 70 miles to buy it so having a bit extra would be nice....BUT, if it takes 30 gallons I'll put all 30 in and buy 5 more later when I'm in that area)

Looks like crankcase oil is 20 quarts?  

By the way, all this is with new filters.

Also....  fuel filter....  we have an IH 444 and it requires the injector feed line to be bled when you do a filter change.  Will I have to crack these lines too or are they self priming?

Any tips on how to get the most old fluid out?  (engine / Hytrans)

If you're gonna be bushhogging steep hills I'd over fill 3-5 we do and keep asking questions you don't know unless you ask no matter how dumb some may think it is 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

No place to call someone silly just for asking a question. Regardless of whether or not a person reads the manual (which he said he did) things are easy to miss and  in many cases people here and real world experience can trump what the manual says. 

Im not a mechanic either and never claimed to be. To the original poster, keep learning the way you learn. I’m curious like you are to do what I can. People cannot take knowledge away from you! 😊

X2

Manuals are sometimes wrong. Our 4630 came with an original operator manual and it listed the operating weight as 13,250 . We looked on tractor data and it indicated 16,000. 

7 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Not sure if it's a service manual or the owners manual, but I'm confident it's in the owners manual.  Before asking, maybe spend a little bit of time looking things over, reading the book and then if you have questions ask. 

I have: 

300 and 400 Series Diesel Engines and Fuel Systems Service Manual (GSS1427B)  and

Chassis 766, 866, 1066, 1466, 44768, & Model 100 Hydrostatic Tractor Service Manual (GSS-1431-1)

I've been looking through both of them....  as of yet, have not found the drain points (not saying they're not in there, just that I've yet to find them)

so I asked.

46 minutes ago, Coytee said:

(not saying they're not in there, just that I've yet to find them)

Coytee I don't know your tractor and haven't been around one but if the five drain plugs are like my 806D pull the drawbar out and you will see one there from there go forward on the tractor and two more will be in aline with that one, There is one on each axle housing that you should see. I'm not sure about the on trans axle shaft. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

...and if you missed the one under the drawbar, you'd miss draining a couple gallons of oil. Not a big deal.

There is way too much obsession over "getting every last drop of the old oil out." You're never going to get all the old oil out, not without causing more problems than leaving it in there ever could. Drain it until it drips, put the plug(s) back in, and refill with fresh. The old oil will quickly mix and dilute itself in with the new oil. The new oil may no longer be perfectly clean, but that does not mean it's bad. The filter removes any of the harmful chunks, and working the tractor will cook the water contamination out.

The "extra 5 gallons" is a workaround to deal with a problem that really should be fixed properly, but requires significant disassembly of the tractor, probably $1500-$2000 worth of labor at a dealer, to replace a 10-cent O-ring on a suction tube that is trapped between two large sections of the tractor. The tube will suck air if the O-ring has failed. Adding the extra 5 gallons submerges that tube so it no longer sucks air.

If you don't have the problem, you don't need the extra 5 gallons. Most tractors do not have the problem. There is no other benefit to running it, except to hide the aforementioned problem.

Will you hurt anything by running the extra 5 gallons? Only your wallet.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

Coytee I don't know your tractor and haven't been around one but if the five drain plugs are like my 806D pull the drawbar out and you will see one there from there go forward on the tractor and two more will be in aline with that one, There is one on each axle housing that you should see. I'm not sure about the on trans axle shaft. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Your exactly right.  They farthest forward one is under where the transmission brake shaft runs through. 

2 hours ago, bitty said:

X2

Manuals are sometimes wrong. Our 4630 came with an original operator manual and it listed the operating weight as 13,250 . We looked on tractor data and it indicated 16,000. 

I'm not sure that "tractor data" is a reliable enough source to verify an error in the operators manual, especially one in operating weight.  FWIW, I've compared the operating weight data on that site to other manuals and found several times it differed.  Site seems to be pretty reliable, but I would trust the printed manual over it.  It is, after all, a third party.  The manual is company backed. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Coytee said:

I have: 

300 and 400 Series Diesel Engines and Fuel Systems Service Manual (GSS1427B)  and

Chassis 766, 866, 1066, 1466, 44768, & Model 100 Hydrostatic Tractor Service Manual (GSS-1431-1)

I've been looking through both of them....  as of yet, have not found the drain points (not saying they're not in there, just that I've yet to find them)

so I asked.

I think you will likely find this in the operators manual.  You should jump on ebay and grab one. 

I like a good manual and I use manuals all the time. However, I will say that forums like this one are treasure chests of real life experiences by those who have a passion for their equipment, work on them for a living, use them for a living or combination thereof. Like I said, I like a good manual but a forum like this can help take some engineering article in a service manual and turn it into layman's talk. Forums like this can help streamline and simplify what a manual states for often times manuals are written in engineering talk and they surely don't give you suggestions like watch out for this, or do that to make it easier, etc. So yes a manual is a good start but not an end all be all.

I hope that the OP (@coytee) has gotten some good answers and keeps coming back with more questions and even, sooner or later, will be contributing to aid in someone else's questions. 

• Like 5
23 hours ago, RKO said:

Welcome to Red Power. Ask all the questions you want. Most of the guys on this forum will try to help you. The Only stupid question is one you didn't ask. 

Don't listen or pay any attention to J-Mech. He has to run people down to make himself feel better. Every group seems to have one. 

Yep. All you have to do is go over to onlycubcadets.com and search for J-Mech. Did the same thing over there and finally got booted after pulling the same egotistical God complex for years. Was even a Mod over there. A lot of good guys left that forum because of it.  Saw the name here and just cringed.  As you can see how he acts. Sad thing is the knowledge is there, but the delivery, not so much......But I’m sure I didn’t contribute much to the forum. LOL. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Red 56 Turbo said:

Yep. All you have to do is go over to onlycubcadets.com and search for J-Mech. Did the same thing over there and finally got booted after pulling the same egotistical God complex for years. Was even a Mod over there. A lot of good guys left that forum because of it.  Saw the name here and just cringed.  As you can see how he acts. Sad thing is the knowledge is there, but the delivery, not so much......But I’m sure I didn’t contribute much to the forum. LOL. 

Ah, Josh.  Just like old times. 

For the record, my membership on OCC came to an end when I started everythingcubcadet.com.  It had nothing to do with the things you say.  Matter of fact, if you search my name on OCC, you will see that I am not banned, rather I was locked out of my account about 2 weeks after going public with my forum.  If you search my brothers name (sirlanceolot) you will see that he is also still a member, but since he helped me start ECC, also got locked out of his account.  No complaints ever filed about him on any site that I am aware of.  He (owner of OCC) even talked about locking others out of the forum who came over and joined my site.  See, on OCC when you are a moderator, there is a room that a standard member can't see.  It's a place that the admin team can discuss things on the forum, or joke and have fun.  When I got locked out of my account, for a short time, I had full access to the forum again, but couldn't post.  I could read all about what the owner was saying about my new forum, how he locked out my brother and I, and how he planned to lock out others for joining up on my forum.  The owner of OCC is not the guy he pretends to be online.  Deal with him at your own risk.  For the record Josh, he didn't speak well of you at all....or your buddy AC.  He doesn't speak well of me now either, and that's just as well. 

What you will find if you search my name on OCC is several tech articles that, incidentally, are still up and featured in that site's tech section, and over 17,000 posts helping guys fix their Cub Cadets.  Enjoy the reads.  It'll take years to read all my posts. 

If you want to make personal attacks, at least get the facts straight. Maybe I should add "LOL" so it looks like I'm not being snarky. 

I want to say sorry to all for having to read both these posts.  But, that was pretty ballsy to try and spread rumors like that, Josh.  Probably best if you mind your own business when it comes to MY membership on other forums.

19 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Ah, Josh.  Just like old times. 

For the record, my membership on OCC came to an end when I started everythingcubcadet.com.  It had nothing to do with the things you say.  Matter of fact, if you search my name on OCC, you will see that I am not banned, rather I was locked out of my account about 2 weeks after going public with my forum.  If you search my brothers name (sirlanceolot) you will see that he is also still a member, but since he helped me start ECC, also got locked out of his account.  No complaints ever filed about him on any site that I am aware of.  He (owner of OCC) even talked about locking others out of the forum who came over and joined my site.  See, on OCC when you are a moderator, there is a room that a standard member can't see.  It's a place that the admin team can discuss things on the forum, or joke and have fun.  When I got locked out of my account, for a short time, I had full access to the forum again, but couldn't post.  I could read all about what the owner was saying about my new forum, how he locked out my brother and I, and how he planned to lock out others for joining up on my forum.  The owner of OCC is not the guy he pretends to be online.  Deal with him at your own risk.  For the record Josh, he didn't speak well of you at all....or your buddy AC.  He doesn't speak well of me now either, and that's just as well. 

What you will find if you search my name on OCC is several tech articles that, incidentally, are still up and featured in that site's tech section, and over 17,000 posts helping guys fix their Cub Cadets.  Enjoy the reads.  It'll take years to read all my posts. 

If you want to make personal attacks, at least get the facts straight. Maybe I should add "LOL" so it looks like I'm not being snarky. 

I want to say sorry to all for having to read both these posts.  But, that was pretty ballsy to try and spread rumors like that, Josh.  Probably best if you mind your own business when it comes to MY membership on other forums.

Oh, I’m not try to spread rumors Jon. Just inviting people to go over and read how you treat others on forums you feel are “beneath” your knowledge level.  Kinda like we are all witnessing here.  And if I were the owner of OCC I wouldn’t be happy either. Your “new” forum is pretty much a carbon copy of OCC.  And the 17000 post thing?  Well what can I say. You’re not short of things to say.  Not trying to be ballsy as you say, just tired of seeing how you treat people, first on OCC and now here........SMH.....

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

I bet that one gets forgotten when changing oil sometimes.

Im trying to remember if I did that last time,  I bet I didn't . Thanks for the reminder.

On 3/5/2019 at 9:05 AM, mrfred54 said:

A drain plug that gets overlooked on the engine is the oil cooler. I always remove it when changing engine oil.

I'm guessing it's engine oil verses hydraulic?

I would have never thought of looking there, thanks for mentioning it!!

Gads, I can't wait for warmer weather....  AND for it to dry out some.

15 hours ago, Coytee said:

I'm guessing it's engine oil verses hydraulic?

I would have never thought of looking there, thanks for mentioning it!!

Gads, I can't wait for warmer weather....  AND for it to dry out some.

I don't think I've ever taken that plug out of the oil cooler I go 150 hrs on oil and drain it hot been doing it all my life on those engines so its no biggie to me 

On 3/6/2019 at 7:54 AM, Farmall Doctor said:

This was awesome! Prompted me to go check my 1466 and yep....the plug was right there staring at me all these year. Checked my IH manual and there is no mention that I can find.

THIS is why forums like this are priceless over manuals. Thank you for sharing Farmall Doctor!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1