Sign in to follow this  
sdmuleman

TD-14A Parts to save

So I've got 2 TD-14 carcasses to clean up. What parts are irreplaceable/worth saving or selling? 1st one is mostly complete (no sheet metal/radiator but pretty much everything else) but sat for something like 40 years in the mud and is more or less solid rust. 2nd has the engine in parts, no tracks or one final and is basically the trans casting with parts on it. 

The rusty one has a decent u/c I was planning to keep for my other good TD-14. Figured keep both engines/parts and the finals since I've heard they are known failure points. What about the trans/bevel gear/housing/etc? 

Most of this stuff is rusty enough to probably be questionably useful, but I really hate scraping parts that might be useful. On the flip side, I'm moving in a year or so and need to get stuff cleaned up. The pivot shafts also look like they'd be useful for chunks of big round stock but again I hate to start cutting the trans casting up getting them out. 

Thanks. 

I can tell you from experience that the rust will not look too bad when you need a spare part. Generally rusted parts can be cleaned up pretty easy compared to not having a important piece in hand! I am still finding parts on a old tractor setting here.

Good luck. Pictures might help too.

Regards,

Chris

All the splines on the different shafts in transmission,finals,and steering are square cut so they ware. If it sat and rusted rather than worked hard they could really be of use in your other tractor some day. But I would leave it in the carcass if possible. Have a friend that dismantled some and store in 55 gal drums filled with drain oil, then his shop burned all was lost. With the oil burning all parts lost their temper and went for scrap.