Sign in to follow this  
bill z

1955 International Farmall 300 Utility Manual Steering Question

This 1955 International Farmall 300 Utility is new to us and wasn’t running when we got it. However, it purrs like a kitten now, smokes a little like a cheshire cat but still purrs.

Problem is the manual steering bearings. All were shot but I was able to find the bearing at the top of the steering shaft just below the steering wheel. But, I’m having great difficulty finding the thrust bearings above and below the worm gear in the steering box. Case IH part number 68060H (Also crosses to 364618R1 and G15216).

I need some help finding a couple of good used ones because I can’t find any new old stock. Yes, a few places have them listed, but they say ‘now not available’.

Very hard to drive such a sweet tractor when the steering doesn’t work.

Please help.

Just a suggestion. If you take id od and thickness measurements you can probably find a timken setup to fit. Thats what I did with the last cub cadet steering box I did. In that case I had to machine the bottom of the bores flat. You should not have that problem.

Since I wasn't able to find any new old stock and I wasn't able to find a company locally to make them (the 4 I talked to turned me down), I decided to use the old ones with new ball bearings and filled the box with STP oil treatment.  Not great but now I can drive the tractor.  Yes, I had to replace the pointer that goes in the worm gear.  That took up a lot of slop.

There were no numbers on ether the top or the bottom bearing cup.  Had to use the CaseIH number.  I found some web pages with them as listed but when I called about them, they said they were no longer available.

Now, most of the looseness is in the rear tie rod ends.

I'm still looking for some good used bearing cups or new old stock, if you hear of any.