Interesting 1420

Eason

24 minutes ago, bitty said:

I don't know of any Amish that can do field work with tractors. Some can use the belt pulley or PTO but must have steel wheels still even though they only move it a little bit. It's the old order Mennonite that use steel wheels on tractors and do field work with them. They sometimes can't have a vehicle with chrome. My cousin joked about that if he was old order Mennonite he would have bought a Chevy 454SS truck because they were all black bumper and all. 

Often the two groups of people are mistake for the other

Exactly.  The Amish I know use their tractors for manure pumps, mixers, stationary choppers, etc.  Field work is what the draft animals are for.

5 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Exactly.  The Amish I know use their tractors for manure pumps, mixers, stationary choppers, etc.  Field work is what the draft animals are for.

Oh, they can run the wheels off of it though if they don't own it and are borrowing it...........have personally seen the crew of them here borrow things from the English neighbors and use it in the field........best one I have seen was them dragging a spring tooth harrow around with a backhoe.   

The other one I enjoy is them having the neighbors haul their hay racks home with pickups because they are just driving by..........I would think that is cheating?  Most here are headed to Kentucky now for cheaper land.......and hitting the road before paying up their bills.  

Every time I see an red combine on steel I have to wonder how the final drives take it......

I met a Deere 9500 combine going the opposite direction on Rt. 662 near Fleetwood, Berks County a couple years ago.  I almost turned around to take a photo.  I grew up in a steel wheel neighborhood my whole life, but combines on steel are still a pretty rare sight.  I have seen an old open-station MF 510 on steel once or twice.  Most of these steel wheel combine sightings are within just a few miles from M. M. Weaver.

The rules vary by sect or by ministry district, but generally Amish-owned machines are relatively stationary and used for power and not in the field.  Old Order Mennonites will use the tractors, skid steers, lawn mowers for their intended purpose in the field or not, but just on steel wheels.  (Generally speaking, an engine + seat = steel wheels)  The theory is that steel wheels will keep you from taking the tractor to "town" in place of the more humble bicycle or horse & carriage.  The combination of rubber belting & steel hybrids have now rendered that decree somewhat useles.  The 1420 from the original post have these hybrids and I assure you, they are an amazing leap forward in smoothness...you no longer hear them coming a tenth of a mile away.  Steel wheels helped many a radiator shop stay in business.  I postulate that is why so many Old Order Mennonites used to run Deutz and Same tractors.  No radiator, no problem.

My father was being told by an Old Order Mennonite co-worker of a certain district in another state where the church members could have rubber tires, but were not supposed to travel over something like 10 mph.  My father half-seriously asked him, "Does their bishop have a radar gun?"  He thought that my father's question was really funny.

Some of those wheels must take an ungodly amount of time and money to build with rubber isolators in them..........I personally think the whole thing is a crock.  They put a shed up on a neighbors here and they didn't have service wired up yet so they ran across the road to the other neighbors to ask if they could plug their chargers in because they didn't bring their generator expecting to have service.  Him not having a great Amish experience in the past told them God said to get a screw driver.   That made my day when I heard that.

Archived