Interesting 1420

Eason

5 minutes ago, 65806 said:

What’s the reason they don’t use rubber tires?  I’m not familiar with their way of life. 

Against their religious beliefs.  Different groups have different ideas.  Rubber tires, phones, electricity, cars. Different groups have different levels of acceptance. 

Pulling in to MMWeaver sale a few years ago was a 72 or 8920 MFD on steel wheels

10 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Against their religious beliefs.  Different groups have different ideas.  Rubber tires, phones, electricity, cars. Different groups have different levels of acceptance. 

Different orders have different rules. Some are steel only, others allow rubber bolted onto steel, and rubber tracks on skid steers are ok with some.  Most around here have solar panels and generators for electricity and carry cell phones everywhere. Just no air in their tires and no wires to the road. They used to have a "phone booth" out by the end of their lane, but now carry cell phones. 

Very common in the area that it is listed.  Take a drive around and you will see all kinds of equipment running on steel, old to brand new.

Alot of combines and tractors with steel wheels, even duals in the Finger Lakes area of NY. 

Guy who built our barn was old order Mennonite. Used to not drive. He has two or three Denali trucks and pulls at the local fairs . 

Like the others have said.  Common sight in central Pa and New York.  We have Pa State highways around here that have grooves worn in the road transversely because they drive that equipment out of their field lanes and across the roads to the fields on the other side.  Powered equipment like tractors or combines have steel wheels but the equipment hooked behind it many times has rubber tires.  One farm will have a setup like this and the next will be horses with old equipment hooked to them with a Wisconsin or Honda engine powering the towed implement.  Next place down the road might live just the same as the rest of us do with vehicles and modern equipment.  Local weld shop (about the best one around) can be interesting to go in sometimes.  They will stand around talking Pa Dutch right in front of you.  Sometimes laughing and joking, makes ya wonder if they're talking about you.

Some orders cut the cab or roll over protection off the tractor or combine. Believe only god not man protects the worker. It is sin to over rule gods holy plan for oneself. 

John

3 hours ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

They have put steel on some collectible models also.

100_0676 (600 x 450).jpg

Oh, my! That poor 12. Looks like Oliver fenders. Is that a can of ether in the weight box? At least they painted the model numbers on her.

Unless you want to do a whole lot of work, and it's really, REALLY cheap, I wouldn't buy anything the Amish owned.  They moved into my area and I've got nothing good to say about them.  They're hard on equipment and don't do any work to it until it absolutely quits, and none of them in the community can piece it back together and make it work.  No service work done, and bare minimum repair work.  By the time they get rid of something around here, it needs to go to the scrap yard.  

9 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Unless you want to do a whole lot of work, and it's really, REALLY cheap, I wouldn't buy anything the Amish owned.  They moved into my area and I've got nothing good to say about them.  They're hard on equipment and don't do any work to it until it absolutely quits, and none of them in the community can piece it back together and make it work.  No service work done, and bare minimum repair work.  By the time they get rid of something around here, it needs to go to the scrap yard.  

There's more than one Englishman like that too...

All depends on the person. Steel wheels here keep getting better and better. By no means are they rubber tires, but they are better than whats pictured. 

Unfortunately a lot of good tractors have met their demise on steel. I guess horses don't need oil and some seem to forget that tractors do. 

Its funny seeing the different sects of Amish. You got those that can run tractors, combines and the like as long as they're on steel.

Just south of our farm is a large Amish community. Spans from South of Homer MI to around Pulaski. These ones are Hardcore Amish. No tractors, no motorized self propelled machinery. No anything modern. Phone boths on the corners of rds. Heck they run threshing machines and binders. The engine to run the thresher and silo silage cutter (still running corn binders) is on a horse drawn cart. Just finally in the last few years started seeing balers with engines on them, before that it was loose hay. They can't even have regular bicycles, they have goofy looking half bikes, half scooters that they push like a scooter. Their farms are small and they make their money doing furniture and carpentry work. A lot of them are hired by regular construction crews as cheap labor. Kinda like Mexican day laborers. That's why I call them Midwest Mexicans.

I don't know of any Amish that can do field work with tractors. Some can use the belt pulley or PTO but must have steel wheels still even though they only move it a little bit. It's the old order Mennonite that use steel wheels on tractors and do field work with them. They sometimes can't have a vehicle with chrome. My cousin joked about that if he was old order Mennonite he would have bought a Chevy 454SS truck because they were all black bumper and all. 

Often the two groups of people are mistake for the other

Archived