Sign in to follow this  
Atilathehun99

The Sunshine and Soft Kitten Paws Only Thread

The smell of fresh cut hay.

A newborn calf on spring pasture.

The smell of rice as it is heading  (smells like rice cooking).

Thx-Ace

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dale560 said:

That is one of the most peaceful times. Walking in from cows and if you can spot northern lights . I always like to look at the constellations in the night sky. Another favorite on a dark clear night is to count airplanes you can see lights of.The snowflake part try to catch on on your tongue.

Do snowflakes still let you catch them on your tongue or is that offensive to them👅❄️❄️?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

It's been my privilege to get a birds eye view during most night North Atlantic crossings. Lots of different shapes and colors but once, just once, we were inside a totally red aurora. It was eerie. Most traffic on the most northern tracks was also in. That was the days before datalink communications, just HF radio and it was totally useless due to the solar activity that caused the aurora. VHF radio worked and there was lots of chatter between us but no communication with Gander or Shanwick radio. Not being able to make a position report I finally used the SAT phone to call Gander Center and they told me they had doubled the spacing on the routes in the north and re-routed some traffic to the south. Some BA pilot had the reason the aurora was red, something about wavelengths.

Days before cell phone cameras so I didn't get a picture. I've seen different colors before but never been inside a totally red one before or since. It was way cool.

I remember a red aurora, maybe the same one?

My neighbor called late one night knowing I enjoy them told me the northern lights were out.  I went outside and looked north and saw nothing.  I saw he was also outside so I yelled over at him asking him where they were.  He said turn around, which I did.  They were when looking straight up about 20 degrees from the vertical to the south and blazing red.  No greens, no blues, no whites.  No other color than a deep red.

At the time my parents spent their winters in the Rio Grande valley and mom told me that it was big news that they were seen as far south as Texas.

• Like 1

I recall a night here in central Michigan when I was a teenager, probably mid to late nineties.  The entire night sky was ablaze with aurora borealis, in all directions.  Reds, greens, and everything in between.  It was a humbling sight, I'll never forget the beauty on display for the world to see.  Great topic Mr Hun, we often need reminding that there is more that binds us together that our differences.

• Like 1

Years back, my neighbor called and said tonight was going to be a major "shooting star" night. He and his wife gathered their 3 young girls and me and my wife gather up our 3 young boys and two dogs and we went out to a big blow out and set up "camp". After the food was ate and the fire burned down to embers we all got in our sleeping bags and layed back and enjoyed the show. The shooting stars were neat but watching the aurora borealis put on it's show was unforgettable for all of us. We all drifted off in peaceful slumber until the horses found us and walked through nosing us in our sleeping bags to see what the heck we were doing which woke up the dogs which woke up the kids which woke us up. After that we watched again until the morning sun faded out the show. Good memories. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

We all drifted off in peaceful slumber until the horses found us and walked through nosing us in our sleeping bags to see what the heck we were doing which woke up the dogs which woke up the kids which woke us up. 

Which is why you can shoot and eat a horse my friend😱🤣!

Hope you know I'm teasing!😈

Rick

• Haha 1

On a large stable ship in the Indian Ocean between Perth AU and Mauritius in Africa, bright moon light, nearest land 2,000 miles away EXCEPT down.  Bright stars everywhere and white ocean reflected in the moon light.  No one on deck but Oleman, don't get better than that!

• Like 4

I give this thread 3 👍👍👍;)

Mike

• Like 4

What time of year do you see the northern lights? How frequently can you see them in season? I have been up north in various seasons but never saw them? Thx-Ace

Saw them once in ND. They sid the coder the weather the better the chance of seeing them.

Considering ND is about 47° North and Pembroke is 53° North and we never see them here. I'm guessing there must be some truth in it?

2 hours ago, acem said:

What time of year do you see the northern lights? How frequently can you see them in season? I have been up north in various seasons but never saw them? Thx-Ace

Winter early spring are the best times. It is just one of those things we get used to and take for granted. But at least Bill Maher isn’t going to come here looking for them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, dale560 said:

But at least Bill Maher isn’t going to come here

Always said that winter kept the riff-raff out!!!

Mike

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dale560 said:

But at least Bill Maher isn’t going to come here looking for them.

Ooh careful, this is about the longest I've seen a thread go lately without becoming a political/religious pi$$ing match.😁 Let's see how far it can go. Oh and by the way, this is Gus' heaven right here. Back when we actually had sun. Can't even remember what year it was.😂

IMG_20190115_115553958.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, acem said:

Up here we see them throughout the whole year. Old timers always said if you see them south of you in a east west line there was nice weather coming. 

18 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Ooh careful, this is about the longest I've seen a thread go lately without becoming a political/religious pi$$ing match.😁 Let's see how far it can go. Oh and by the way, this is Gus' heaven right here. Back when we actually had sun. Can't even remember what year it was.😂

IMG_20190115_115553958.jpg

I bet i could use some parts off that truck.......😁  my good days are wondering around where there are a lot of old cars, trucks, farm machinery from 70s on back.....

3 hours ago, acem said:

Like others I've seen them most often Fall - Winter.  But I have seen them in every season.  Years ago a group of us were camping in early August on the south shore of Lake Superior near Muskallonge State Park.  This was when you could camp anywhere you wanted along the beach as long as you where on State land.   We knew the Perseids Meteor Shower was suppose to peak while we were there but to our luck there was also a fairly good showing of the Northern Aurora at the same time.

A very memorable and satisfying coincidence.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I bet i could use some parts off that truck.......😁  my good days are wondering around where there are a lot of old cars, trucks, farm machinery from 70s on back.....

Sorry, that one's waiting for a straight six transplant. My boys drove 77 to 79 Ford's all through HS. Used to have quite a boneyard for parts. Only 4 parts pu's left. Getting thin.

27 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Sorry, that one's waiting for a straight six transplant. My boys drove 77 to 79 Ford's all through HS. Used to have quite a boneyard for parts. Only 4 parts pu's left. Getting thin.

Better buy some more! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What? A RP "safe space"? 🤣🤣🤣

Rick

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

What? A RP "safe space"? 🤣🤣🤣

Rick

nobody`s hiding OT. 

Go look at campus safe places. Not supposed to say or do anything that that might trigger someone........

Rick

29 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Go look at campus safe places. Not supposed to say or do anything that that might trigger someone........

Rick

then stop it.

23 minutes ago, MTO said:

then stop it.

no

Rick

The smell of the barn after the first loads of hay AND sleeping "out" in the barn that night. Aaaaah!

We wore sleeping bags out faster than Dad could find new ones.

• Like 2