Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
acem

4386 vs 5488 fwa vs 7488

Recommended Posts

These tractors all have the same engine but are different configurations. I wonder how they compare.

I have a 5488 2wd and it is way over powered for the traction available. It is a very comfortable tractor to drive, quiet with a nice transmission and hydraulic system.

I  have a 4366 that has too much traction for the power. The tractor is rough and tough but not nice. When working in muddy rice fields 8 tires on the ground give alot of flotation and traction in a difficult environment. It is a simple design which is good.

My 4366 will out pull my 5488 but it will lug down in a tough spot while the 5488 will spin in similar situations. The 5488 is much more comfortable and quiet.

The 5488 fwa would have better traction than the 2wd but not nearly as much as the 4366.

A 4386 would have a little more power and be a little nicer inside but otherwise I would expect they are similar.

The 7488 I expect would have the traction of the 4366 and the comfort of the 5488. I expect it is a nice package but is much more complex than a 4366. I suspect the 4386 size tractor would have been discontinued with the 7488 available.

What's your opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, acem said:

 

The 7488 I expect would have the traction of the 4366 and the comfort of the 5488. I expect it is a nice package but is much more complex than a 4366. I suspect the 4386 size tractor would have been discontinued with the 7488 available.

What's your opinion?

I suspect you are right on all accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how a 7488 compares to a 4386 weight wise?  And if we're talking what-ifs, how would the Steiger built 7388 have compared?  I think they went to 20 speed trans, and series 4 cabs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have similar tractors , 4366, 5088 turned up some , 7140 MFD 

 

7140 pulls with 43 and nicer to run .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7488 brings 100k, I dont think anyone is going to go work rice ground with one...

 

Those old Steigers might be rude and crude but they are tough and cheap, carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SMiller said:

7488 brings 100k, I dont think anyone is going to go work rice ground with one...

 

Those old Steigers might be rude and crude but they are tough and cheap, carry on.

I’m thinking that he was just thinking what-if’s. If the super seventies were a full production tractor and not a limited production tractor. 

I seriously doubt anyone would step out to buy a super seventies series tractor to be their main work horse today, but there always is those with money to burn so it is possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have run all three of them before and think your assessment is pretty much right on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 5088 said:

I wonder how a 7488 compares to a 4386 weight wise?  And if we're talking what-ifs, how would the Steiger built 7388 have compared?  I think they went to 20 speed trans, and series 4 cabs?

I’ll take a synchronized partial powershift with two less gears vs the 20 speed truck transmission.  I’m assuming the 7388 would still used open center hydraulics.  If that’s true then there is another plus for the 7488.  My opinion is the Steiger/IH 88 series were a dead man walking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, acem said:

These tractors all have the same engine but are different configurations. I wonder how they compare.

I have a 5488 2wd and it is way over powered for the traction available. It is a very comfortable tractor to drive, quiet with a nice transmission and hydraulic system.

I  have a 4366 that has too much traction for the power. The tractor is rough and tough but not nice. When working in muddy rice fields 8 tires on the ground give alot of flotation and traction in a difficult environment. It is a simple design which is good.

My 4366 will out pull my 5488 but it will lug down in a tough spot while the 5488 will spin in similar situations. The 5488 is much more comfortable and quiet.

The 5488 fwa would have better traction than the 2wd but not nearly as much as the 4366.

A 4386 would have a little more power and be a little nicer inside but otherwise I would expect they are similar.

The 7488 I expect would have the traction of the 4366 and the comfort of the 5488. I expect it is a nice package but is much more complex than a 4366. I suspect the 4386 size tractor would have been discontinued with the 7488 available.

What's your opinion?

A 9130 or 9150 caseih would blow them away and be cheaper or the Steiger models (puma,lion).. I have a hard time believing the super 70s would have saved IHC. They were partners with Steiger and even though they sold their shares Steiger had the game changing 4 wd design out and selling them before caseih bought them and got back into 4wd market. There is no way a 300 hp  even with a L10 Cummins ,2+2 design was going to save ihc here in 4wd country.  Case and IH both had to know about Steigers better product and that is why both those lines were abandoned. Steiger, Versatile and John Deere all had the new 4wds designed and selling well about the time caseih got back with Steiger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, this is a pure pie in the  sky what if comparison.  I don't expect the 7488 would compete with the big 4wd 9170, etc.

The 8 big tires will carry you across mud that my friends fwa spin ou sink in. I have seen magnums with front and rear duals but they won't go in the mud like the big articulated tractors.

Thx-Ace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a quadtrac and Dad had a 6788.  I think there would have been a place for the super 70s.  Look at how the mfd tractors have evolved over the years.  The engine is farther forward for better weight transfer and turning.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be interesting to see a modern “row-trac” design on a Super 70 2+2 style chassis.  You get the benefits of flotation and the maneuverability of the 2+2 style. I guess that wasn’t in the original comparison but is a “pie in the sky” idea. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7388s didn’t have the 2-speed “transfer case” as Steiger called it...only the 75/7788 models had it to make double the gears. 

As much as I hate to say it, I fully agree with dale560’s assessment of the 70 series IH 4wds here in the upper Midwest. I don’t think they would have been well-received by large-acre small grain farmers like they maybe would have been in the Corn Belt. Would have been too little, too late in addition to all the problems IH was dealing with financially. By 1984-1985 time frame, International Harvester needed home runs to stay relevant in the US agricultural business. They would have got that with the new Farmall/Magnum tractor. With the 70 series 4wd tractors, they would have hit a solid single-base hit, at best. 

47D3B90F-6D86-4E7B-AF08-8B7B5BEA65F2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The super 70s would have helped OH if they had been released instead of the original 2+2s they would have helped IH, the 70s were too late to save IH and they would have had a very hard time overcoming the 2+2 reputation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  think that a lot of people forget that the 2+2 was designed to be a row-crop tractor. It was never intended to go head to head with a 4wd, thus the reason that the smallest ones were what 135 HP? Too bad that they were a little late to the cultivator party. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

I  think that a lot of people forget that the 2+2 was designed to be a row-crop tractor. It was never intended to go head to head with a 4wd, thus the reason that the smallest ones were what 135 HP? Too bad that they were a little late to the cultivator party. 

The 37/6788 had about the same horsepower as many of these smaller 4 wheel drive tractors.  And with 4 equal size tires all around, it looked like a 4wd.  That was the problem.  IH made a tractor that was a 4x4 but wasn't.  I've always if they would have somehow changed the final drive on the front axle and use just a slightly smaller tire, maybe farmers would have gotten the hint to use it more like a rowcrop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree the 2+2 should have been marketed differently. Actually I think IH would have done better pushing fwa and not spent all that money developing the 2+2. Of course hindsight is 20 20. If the farm economy would have been better during the 80s  we would have alot more of our American brands around.

Could you post pics of the 7x88 big 4wd tractor brochure? I don't know much about them.

So does anyone have experience driving a 4386 and 5488 fwa? How did they compare? How about the 7488, I've never seen one in person.

Thx-Ace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, acem said:

These tractors all have the same engine but are different configurations. I wonder how they compare.

I have a 5488 2wd and it is way over powered for the traction available. It is a very comfortable tractor to drive, quiet with a nice transmission and hydraulic system.

I  have a 4366 that has too much traction for the power. The tractor is rough and tough but not nice. When working in muddy rice fields 8 tires on the ground give alot of flotation and traction in a difficult environment. It is a simple design which is good.

My 4366 will out pull my 5488 but it will lug down in a tough spot while the 5488 will spin in similar situations. The 5488 is much more comfortable and quiet.

The 5488 fwa would have better traction than the 2wd but not nearly as much as the 4366.

A 4386 would have a little more power and be a little nicer inside but otherwise I would expect they are similar.

The 7488 I expect would have the traction of the 4366 and the comfort of the 5488. I expect it is a nice package but is much more complex than a 4366. I suspect the 4386 size tractor would have been discontinued with the 7488 available.

What's your opinion?

Sounds like your 54 needs some weight   I got to pull against a 4568 had 8 nice deep treads and a 8400 that is chipped with 710 metrics the 4960 was way in the back but the 54 out pulled the 4568 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

The 37/6788 had about the same horsepower as many of these smaller 4 wheel drive tractors.  And with 4 equal size tires all around, it looked like a 4wd.  That was the problem.  IH made a tractor that was a 4x4 but wasn't.  I've always if they would have somehow changed the final drive on the front axle and use just a slightly smaller tire, maybe farmers would have gotten the hint to use it more like a rowcrop. 

It might have looked better to. I never really disliked the looks of them but some people do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 7:18 PM, acem said:

 

Could you post pics of the 7x88 big 4wd tractor brochure? I don't know much about them.

Thx-Ace

Here you go, Ace. It’s just a front/back single page brochure. To my knowledge, this is the only brochure IH ever made for the last IH/Steiger collaboration. 

Speaking about the IH 73/75/7788 series, has anyone ever truly determined how many were actually built? For years, it was thought that there were 2 of each model built, 1 with 3 pt hitch, 1 without. However, after the 7788  & 7388 were auctioned off in Canada awhile back, there seems to be at least 3 7788s and 3 7388s around. 

I guess one more thing about the Super 70s over the Steiger-built 4wds is that you had a PTO. 

805DE8FC-8FB8-4CCE-B9BA-40F271FD2367.jpeg

454ECFA8-4F59-4D80-BE80-B33D97FF8280.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everytime i see this thread pop up to the top i come on thinking some guy has a super 70 he really is tired of and wants to trade for a 4386.

our 4386 gets the work done but at the end of the day you can feel it.  Its a coarse and not well refined.

I LOVE our 6588... quiet, smooth, cool in the summer, but, its not got the strength of rear end (and front end) that I wish it had.

Probably in minority as lots of guys hate those tractors but, Id have been in market for super 70.  Id buy one now without question to farm with if they were 40k instead of 120k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...