Why❓You can’t get Americans work on Farms❓

2 hours ago, oldtanker said:

And kids do need to learn that. When you think about it I can eat imported food. I can buy imported clothing and every thing else I need. But I still stand on the backs of those who carry and deliver those goods regardless where they come from. So that makes the most important person in the country to us day to day a driver. That's not saying no one else is important. Just that absolutely nothing functions without the driver. 

One of the big things wrong with this country is parents. Started after WWII. Parents didn't want their kids doing without. They didn't make em do anything! Not even chores around the house. Or they paid them to do chores. Pay a kid to do chores? All that teaches them is that they should do nothing for anyone without compensation. You don't need animals. You have dishes, lawn, garbage and maybe snow. Or the ones who make a kid work as a punishment. Then you wonder why at 18 that kid doesn't want to work? To that kid work=punishment. Who wants to be punished for the next 20-30 years?

Rick

My Daughter was a figure skater most of her life  and is still a figure skating coach, We 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Less farms, less families, less kids to carry on the tradition is part of it. When kids don't grow up in the farm environment, it is hard to get them to want in. It takes a parent,  grandparent, good

Where to start. I worked in agriculture my entire life in some sort on my family's farm until I was a teenager, then it was sold, and as a hired hand up til a few months ago. The last farm I worked at

Well illinois’ fat new governor managed to get the bill passed and signed making minimum wage here $15/hr in 2025. Goodbye small business hello $12 value meal at fast food places.....

Posted Images

And kids do need to learn that. When you think about it I can eat imported food. I can buy imported clothing and every thing else I need. But I still stand on the backs of those who carry and deliver those goods regardless where they come from. So that makes the most important person in the country to us day to day a driver. That's not saying no one else is important. Just that absolutely nothing functions without the driver. 

One of the big things wrong with this country is parents. Started after WWII. Parents didn't want their kids doing without. They didn't make em do anything! Not even chores around the house. Or they paid them to do chores. Pay a kid to do chores? All that teaches them is that they should do nothing for anyone without compensation. You don't need animals. You have dishes, lawn, garbage and maybe snow. Or the ones who make a kid work as a punishment. Then you wonder why at 18 that kid doesn't want to work? To that kid work=punishment. Who wants to be punished for the next 20-30 years?

Rick

I dont think chores around the house is enough for kids, that just teaches them how to house keep, I have animals so the kids have more than just dishes to teach them responsibility, they learn hard physical work, shovaling, baling hay, stacking hay, and also that animals rely on them for life just like my kids rely on me. Also farm chores will prepare them for more jobs than house chores, I make good money running heavy equipment and kids doing farm work will prepare them for that type of work also, and I train my kids to be proud of there work, not as a punishment, also I have animals to teach my kids where food comes from, they have a garden, they can food, they get eggs every day, they eat deer meat all the time and we raise are own beef and they know the steer gets butchered and it's not just a pet, makes the kids more in touch with reality, 

• Like 2
Just now, Rusty shackleford said:

I dont think chores around the house is enough for kids, that just teaches them how to house keep, I have animals so the kids have more than just dishes to teach them responsibility, they learn hard physical work, shovaling, baling hay, stacking hay, and also that animals rely on them for life just like my kids rely on me. Also farm chores will prepare them for more jobs than house chores, I make good money running heavy equipment and kids doing farm work will prepare them for that type of work also, and I train my kids to be proud of there work, not as a punishment,

Thing is you work with what you have. If all you have is house hold chores that's what you have. So a kid grows up around animals? All that teaches them is to care for an animal. So you training them to feed animals in a zoo?  What teaches them responsibility is making them responsible for things plus holding them accountable for their actions. 

Look, I was Army from 74 to 96. I had a lot of kids through the years come to work for me. Most were pretty good kids and a lot were very responsible. Most of them came from the cities and burbs. Most were pretty responsible because they were held accountable for their actions growing up. That means that they are rewarded or punished as needed. But the main this is because they were held accountable for their actions they learned that the were responsible.

The punishment work comment wasn't aimed at you.

Rick

What I ment by not enough chores is for training, where I live there are a ton of jobs that are around dangerous equipment or ag type jobs, so the way I'm raising em also trains them to be around that environment and help them be ready for different types of jobs, at my work farm boys thrive, they hire teens for small jobs and usually the farm boys end up staying and doing well, every kid in every environment needs to learn values and disciplines, I just like to ad to that extra. I did not graduate high school but yet I'm doi g well and can afford to let my wife be a stay at home mom wich is what she wants, and I'm able to do that because my dad trained me to work and be proud of it and to figure things out on the farm, fix my own break downs and so on, the world needs all sorts of people even the computer nerd, but I just ad that extra type of chores cause it matches the type of work in my area and it's good work. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

What I ment by not enough chores is for training, where I live there are a ton of jobs that are around dangerous equipment or ag type jobs, so the way I'm raising em also trains them to be around that environment and help them be ready for different types of jobs, at my work farm boys thrive, they hire teens for small jobs and usually the farm boys end up staying and doing well, every kid in every environment needs to learn values and disciplines, I just like to ad to that extra. I did not graduate high school but yet I'm doi g well and can afford to let my wife be a stay at home mom wich is what she wants, and I'm able to do that because my dad trained me to work and be proud of it and to figure things out on the farm, fix my own break downs and so on, the world needs all sorts of people even the computer nerd, but I just ad that extra type of chores cause it matches the type of work in my area and it's good work. 

Lot of farming around here too but most is BTO's with very little work available for anyone. I've got nothing against work. Nor whose who do it. Learning a trade, be it farming, pipe fitting, welding, truck driving or neurosurgery is just learning. Most of us if it comes down to surviving will do what is needed. But see, I'm from MN too. Got a couple of small dairies still around that if were not for either their own kids or the wife help out would collapse. They just don't have the money to hire anyone. Then there are several larger ones but none of em hire full time with bennies except for herd manager. Yea they hire a few teens but here near Battle Lake most of the farm jobs? Part time seasonal and they don't pay as well as part time stock shelves in the grocery store. So here? Absolutely no incentive to work for a farmer. And that's all I'm really saying. It makes absolutely no sense to work for a farmer in part time seasonal work when you can work at the convenience for more per hour, part time or full time year round. And then the farmer gets mad and accuses everyone of being lazy when the real problem is most of the farmers here just can't compete in compensation for workers. Most of the guys here want to pay minimum wage at best. BL Standard is now starting people at I think it's 10 an hour running the cash register. I darn sure don't blame someone for not working as hard or as long to earn the same or better money!

Rick

• Like 2
1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

Lot of farming around here too but most is BTO's with very little work available for anyone. I've got nothing against work. Nor whose who do it. Learning a trade, be it farming, pipe fitting, welding, truck driving or neurosurgery is just learning. Most of us if it comes down to surviving will do what is needed. But see, I'm from MN too. Got a couple of small dairies still around that if were not for either their own kids or the wife help out would collapse. They just don't have the money to hire anyone. Then there are several larger ones but none of em hire full time with bennies except for herd manager. Yea they hire a few teens but here near Battle Lake most of the farm jobs? Part time seasonal and they don't pay as well as part time stock shelves in the grocery store. So here? Absolutely no incentive to work for a farmer. And that's all I'm really saying. It makes absolutely no sense to work for a farmer in part time seasonal work when you can work at the convenience for more per hour, part time or full time year round. And then the farmer gets mad and accuses everyone of being lazy when the real problem is most of the farmers here just can't compete in compensation for workers. Most of the guys here want to pay minimum wage at best. BL Standard is now starting people at I think it's 10 an hour running the cash register. I darn sure don't blame someone for not working as hard or as long to earn the same or better money!

Rick

The work I was talking about in my area is farm had work, I was talking about places like farmward and central region, and then construction and excavating places, where I work they hire teens and they get good money, and if they stay longer and keep working till it's full time then they have a nice career, and the farm work I was talking isnt paid, its family farm work that my kids do for training and life lessons to help them for when they do get real jobs, I think some people were getting confused with my comments

7 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

Two thumbs up to you for giving your wife the opportunity to be a stay at home mom. I did the same for my wife. It was tough at times but it was best for our kids and that's most important.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Two thumbs up to you for giving your wife the opportunity to be a stay at home mom. I did the same for my wife. It was tough at times but it was best for our kids and that's most important.

LOL we did the same thing. Wasn't that I made that much but we were careful with our money. So she stayed home.

Rick

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

LOL we did the same thing. Wasn't that I made that much but we were careful with our money. So she stayed home.

Rick

I have nothing against making more money, everyone should strive to improve their lot in life, but you hit a valid point, Live Within Your Means! I see a lot of people going at it backwards nowadays. Spend the money first then try to make it up and complain and whine when they can't. It used to bother me when I saw everyone with their boats, campers, jet skis, snowmobiles, new pickups, going to the lake every weekend and taking vacations and I wondered how the heck are they doing it when we can't. Then I realized, they aren't, not long term anyway. this is the "gotta have it now" generation. Remember how sweet it was to finally get to buy something that you worked hard and saved up for? Or when you finally got the money, you thought "I really don't want it that bad". LOL 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

I have nothing against making more money, everyone should strive to improve their lot in life, but you hit a valid point, Live Within Your Means! I see a lot of people going at it backwards nowadays. Spend the money first then try to make it up and complain and whine when they can't. It used to bother me when I saw everyone with their boats, campers, jet skis, snowmobiles, new pickups, going to the lake every weekend and taking vacations and I wondered how the heck are they doing it when we can't. Then I realized, they aren't, not long term anyway. this is the "gotta have it now" generation. Remember how sweet it was to finally get to buy something that you worked hard and saved up for? Or when you finally got the money, you thought "I really don't want it that bad". LOL 

Oh yeah,  Cash is king, and credit kills.  We see the same here, run the debt up while trying to live above your income.  Then they get to a point where they can’t swap credit card debt, or refinance and they need to pay it back. 

On 2/21/2019 at 10:39 PM, jimw said:

Times have changed? No one wants to work 12, 16 hrs a day for very little pay, now there are some guys that pay very well. No people in Nebraska who make 40 50 grand a year plus vehicles and housing.  I guess my biggest problem is this new American way of having 6 Mexicans do your work while u sit on your phone all day, country would be better off if we all only took on what we can handle ourselves. But that’s just my opinion 

I know what you mean and agree! Everybody wants bigger and bigger till the day comes 5 people are in control of all the ag business! Maybe not that extreme but you know what i mean! 

6 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Oh yeah,  Cash is king, and credit kills.  We see the same here, run the debt up while trying to live above your income.  Then they get to a point where they can’t swap credit card debt, or refinance and they need to pay it back. 

Trouble with credit kills is I have nephew who has a excellent job, bought stock, a lot of money in the bank but cannot buy a condo because he has no credit by buying every thing with cash. Go figure.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Sis in law and her hubby do that. She's a year younger than the wife and he husband is a year older than me. They are so deep in the hole that they can't even think about retirement.

1 hour ago, Gleaner k2 said:

I know what you mean and agree! Everybody wants bigger and bigger till the day comes 5 people are in control of all the ag business! Maybe not that extreme but you know what i mean! 

It goes way past the AG side but yea, it happens everywhere.

56 minutes ago, VacDaddyt said:

Trouble with credit kills is I have nephew who has a excellent job, bought stock, a lot of money in the bank but cannot buy a condo because he has no credit by buying every thing with cash. Go figure.

Very true. I've know more than one person who has had that problem. Easy way to do that is get a couple of small loans and pay em off then keep some type of loan going.

Rick

7 hours ago, AKwelder said:

My wife and I use as little credit as possible. We have no credit cards, we may take out a small loan for the purchase of a vehicle and that's about it. I think credit is a tool that can be useful if properly managed, members of this forum who farm know all about that. The problem is people get access to all of that money and abuse it, I was guilty of it. Before they know it they are overextended with new vehicles, boat, camper, you name it, all losing value, that they need to pay for. If I don't have the cash for it, well I guess I don't need it that bad 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

OH, trust me, I never passed up a promotion or a pay raise. And while we were careful with our money we didn't consider ourselves poor. Except for clothing my wife and I didn't buy anything new for ourselves for a long time or if we did we saved for it. But the kids went to school in new cloths and had new shoes. We always had food in the house. Heck when I was an SSG  I was finally making decent money. We were still driving old used cars. Sometimes I thought we were feeding 1/2 the neighborhood kids a day or 2 before pay day. About all they had left in the house was peanut butter. They would come home with out kids asking if they could have lunch there. But mom and dad had new furniture and a new car. I never understood that.

Rick