Sign in to follow this  
bill z

1955 Farmall 300 Utility Question

My son purchased a 1955 Farmall 300 Utility to mow most of 25 acres that he recently purchased in West Texas. He bought it from a real nice lady who’s husband did some collecting. She said it was running when they parked it.

I brought it home with me because my son doesn’t have the time or a place to work on it. We have no manual yet.

Believe it or not, the engine runs. However there are some problems that I have to overcome.

I was able to drain the oil from the differential, transmission and crankcase, but I can’t seem to locate where to pour the new oils in and not sure what weight of oils to use where.

Is there someone out there that can help with what oils and where to pour them with a picture or two?

IMG_2876.JPG

Can't answer your question, but I would post this in General IH or even Coffee Shop rather than the support page. More people would see it over there. Just trying to help.  -Brody

Just now, BrodyNC said:

Can't answer your question, but I would post this in General IH or even Coffee Shop rather than the support page. More people would see it over there. Just trying to help.  -Brody

I moved the topic for him. Its now in General IH.
BJ

• Thanks 1

Sorry my computer messed up, showed this in support. Now I feel slow sorry. 

Edit: Oh okay I see you moved it. Thought my computer was being slow. 

Bill,

Welcome to Red Power! For the engine oil you will want to go with 30 Wt Low Ash. You can get this at your Case IH dealer. I believe the 300 Utility uses Hytran for the differential and transmission. Hytran is also available from your Case IH dealer.  Bindbooks.com is a great place to get the manuals for your tractor. 

Does it have T A ?   If not then  80W 90 for the trany  & hytran for the Hydraulics.

I put about 10,000 hrs on dads 300U.

Just guessing, but older tractors you typically add oil through a fill/level plug on the side.   Add till it runs back out the plug.  I never did figure out how they expect you to do this neatly.  Did they used to have some kinda special oil can that made this easy?  And, of course, they always have something above the plug that prevents you from tipping a funnel/jug up to actually pour oil in....  Top fill so much better.

• Haha 1

I am fairly certain that this is the fill plug. Next to the shifter. Should be hytran for a tractor equipped with a TA.

Hydraulic is under the seat and uses hytran or hydraulic oil

IMG_20190220_124949163_HDR.jpg

Hydraulic reservoir is under seat . Slide seat back all the way there is a plug with dipstick attached  , it's also your filler hole

use Hy-tran. 

If you have TA use Hytran in differential and transmission reservoirs , filler on deck as in above picture by Bitty. There are two check plugs along side housings to check level . 

As stated by BJ above post , engine should use 30 Wt low ash IH motor oil but you will get many opinions on which brand to use.

nice tractor , I spent many hours on one in high school and when I started farming

i now have a 300 u restored for shed queen. 

Tony

Thanks for all of the responses and encouragements.

Seems my 300 Utility does NOT have a TA.  There is no lever on the left side.  So, if it doesn't have a TA, do I still use Hy-Tran or use 80/90 weight oil in the diff and transmission?

Does the diff and transmission have different reservoirs?

Also, is there a drain on the hydraulic system?  I see where to fill and the plug has a dip stick.  I want to make sure there is no water in there.

Mine had water from setting in a snow drift for weeks last year and the oil was milky looking, had to take the top off the reservoir and paper towel it to get it all and used some rubbing alky

to get it real clean, the diff had some straight water on the bottom under the oil which I just drained till it run clear and it looks good now. I drained the cylinder and all the lines to and from the pump. and the cylinder , I took the hoses off and worked it in and out till I got all the milky stuff out, you cant be to picky!

My local supplier has 3 different types of hydraulic fluids.  303, 46 & 32.    All 3 sell for exactly the same price.  What is the difference and what one should I put in this Farmall 300 Utility hydraulic system?

The official line is, "None of the above." None of those are Hytran or even claim to be Hytran-compatible.

However, on an old tractor like a 300 Utility, it probably doesn't matter. It's just a simple gear pump, open center system. Anything wet and slippery should work fine. If you have other tractors with hydraulics and implements that you might share between the tractors, use the same fluid in all of them.

303 might be the better of those? I am not sure. But without a TA it's not going to be an issue

Since this is my first Farmall and I have never noticed a TA before, I was told that a TA will have a lever on the left near the clutch pedal that you can pull to put it into Go Home gear. 

Is that the only way to tell?

If I do NOT have a TA, do I use mixture of SAE-10 and IH Torque Amplifier Trans Lube Additive (what ever that is) in the transmission / differential like a Farmall lubrication table suggests?

Another suggested, because I live in the deep south, that I just use SAE-30 with some Lucas oil treatment.

I don't want to mess this tractor up, that is why I'm asking.

On 2/20/2019 at 1:41 PM, bitty said:

IMG_20190220_124949163_HDR.jpg

21 minutes ago, bill z said:

Since this is my first Farmall and I have never noticed a TA before, I was told that a TA will have a lever on the left near the clutch pedal that you can pull to put it into Go Home gear. 

Is that the only way to tell?

If I do NOT have a TA, do I use mixture of SAE-10 and IH Torque Amplifier Trans Lube Additive (what ever that is) in the transmission / differential like a Farmall lubrication table suggests?

Another suggested, because I live in the deep south, that I just use SAE-30 with some Lucas oil treatment.

I don't want to mess this tractor up, that is why I'm asking.

The TA handle would be just the left of the picture just out of view. The handle would be starting around the clutch pedal and rising up as high as the dash almost. It would have a thing you squeeze with your hand to uncatch it to put it in the high side, which is forward. Just plain hydraulic fluid would be fine the 303 to aw46 if it's no ta.

Unless you plan to use it doing extremely hard work probably anything wet will do (aside from water which would promote rust)

My son is hoping to use it with a Howse mower to mow his 25 acres in west Texas to keep the ticks and chiggers down. The Howse 5 foot mower is to attached via the quick connect (we will have to rig something).  So there will be some real work going on.

Should I use the SAE-30 in the trans or the Hy-Tran?

The drain for the hydraulic reservoir is on the left side next to the front. If you do not have power steering, there will just be a plug to remove. If you do have power steering there will be a tee there with one side with a plug. The trans, rear end, and PTO front reduction are connected, but to get all the oil out you will have to take out three plugs, I believe. Use a GOOD 'tractor hydraulic/transmission oil'. They are made for these applications. The rear PTO ( if it is a live PTO has its own reservoir)  Do not go cheep on oil. For one, with the wrong oil, you could lose the hydraulic pump...…. $600 to $900 to replace. If you had a TA and cheep oil, $600 to $800 plus cost of splitting the tractor in two places. 

Your son will be running in the higher RPM range so PTO will get a workout.  I hope he gets all of those chiggers! I found out what they were when we went to visit west Texas. 

Good Luck!

Looking forward to more posts. 300 u is my first and only tractor. Love that tractor. Advice here has been spot on. Haven't had much time to post but here is what your ta handle would look like. Good luck. Paul

20170529_114045.jpg

Nice 300U Paul!

OK. If I understand correctly, Hy-Tran goes in the hydraulics and the differential/transmission. Something like 10 gallons. No additives and get Hy-Tran and not anything that doesn't say Hy_Tran or Hy-Tran equivalent. 

I can do that.

Thanks all.

I filled her up with Hy-Tran and everything works.  Sweet!  Needs a carburetor kit and some instructions for the kit.  I think the last car kit wasn't done right.  The knew kit shows a small BB but my carb doesn't have one.  

Found a leak in the oil gauge line so the line needs to be replaced.  

Just very small stuff like that.

Thanks for all of your help guys.

• Like 1