Chris656

T-6 crawler rescue

Hey guys in thinking about saving this t-6 crawler on our farm property . But it's going to be a chore to get it out . I'm sure every nut and bolt will have to be restored on it . 

Bad part . Right track is off at drive sprocket , both tracks are 6" or more sunk into the ground . And it's an 1/8th of a mile from the barn drive way . 

CDAFE4E3-A02F-4399-BB5F-35F513B4F4D8.jpeg

4E62CF4B-772C-472A-B86B-9BD00A1638C9.jpeg

EF05B0BF-2536-4E91-BF49-3E18740AA4A6.jpeg

B401B5D0-B143-4527-97E3-E6106128FDEC.jpeg

953C195E-FAFC-4A97-A992-3CAE4D3740C5.jpeg

46E6C94B-7E3F-4A41-B7D0-D2F53D92F1AA.jpeg

Looks like a project Chris.  Welcome to the site.  I also have a T6.

Dennis

Thank you Dennis . I have been thinking this thing over the last 3 yrs since I first dug the blade out of the ground . I wonder if it's really worth it . If the tracks are frozen solid it may just have to stay there . 

It would have to be drug over a creek and up to hills to the drive way , then across the hwy to my house . A guy with a bigger dozer said he could drag it for a 100$ , but that would be a dead weight drag if anything didn't break loose . Also have thought about brining it out in sections with my tractor . This pic shows how far the move would be 

26C9C89A-62AE-411D-98B3-7A1949FBB030.jpeg

That will be quite a project if you decide to take it on... we will want updates and pictures of the retrieval and of your progress ...

Looks like the exhaust pipe is open  to the sky.. unfortunate that it didn't have a cap on it or a cover of some type..

Good luck ! 

Grant 

3 hours ago, north of 60 said:

That will be quite a project if you decide to take it on... we will want updates and pictures of the retrieval and of your progress ...

Looks like the exhaust pipe is open  to the sky.. unfortunate that it didn't have a cap on it or a cover of some type..

Good luck ! 

Grant 

Thank you , yes the stack has been open for a very long time ,so the motor is completely smoked . It's been there so long all the belts and hoses have rotted off of it . It being in the same family as the m parts for the motor are easy to come by . The back side of the manifold it's completely froze and busted out . But all the leavers and handles still move . 

Wow, looks like a fun project! Nice rear pump

lots of knowledgeable people on this site if you need help. 

Good luck!

Pete

Good luck!

Pete

15 minutes ago, Pbach said:

Good luck!

Pete

Thank you , yea my only big concerns are if I have to cut the tracks off if it want move , where to get links . And is there anyway water could get in the tranny other than shifter hole ? This crawler has been under water a couple of times . 

Chris, I would try to get that thrown track back on. Will make moving much easier.  You will know right away if the tracks are frozen. Crawl under the tractor and crack the oil pan plug on the engine to drain the rain water that has collected inside, then move back to the transmission and rear end plugs and do the same. Don't take the plug out, just loosen it until you see water dripping and leave it to drain off the collected water in the bottom of the housings.  I think the guy with the tow tractor will really earn his $100.00. Jim.

A little history on this crawler and way I'd like to save it , it was originally bought to help clear the farm . The farm has been around since little after the civil war , close to 500 acres . The farm ran strong till 74 when my grandpa was killed in a silage accident , one week later my great grandpa died of a broken heart and what he had to watch happen . So at that time my dad and uncle were teenagers . Some came to the farm in the late 70's to cut logs , as they were cutting they got the log skidder stuck , so my dad and or uncle thought it be a good idea to drive the crawler down by the creek to pull out the skidder , on the way back out they when to turn to cross the creek popped the right track off . Left for dead been in that spot for 30+ yrs . My dad and uncle just walked away from it . Like they did all the equipment on the farm . As it broke down that's where it stayed . 2 m's ,1 h ,1a ,1 w9r (rice field special) the crawler and among other various items . 

The good stories I got to hear about it , was when dad was little he said he would ride the blade cylinders like a pony , he said they used it in the silage pit before the silos , said they had a wagon with a slide on it , they would hook the crawler to it and pull off the silage before they bought the silage box wagon . I had an h I was working on with a straight pipe , dad was there and I fired it up , he was like that sound just like that old crawler did yrs ago . So I'd like to fix it up so my dad can see it move again . He had forgot where it sat in the woods all those yrs . 

22 minutes ago, crawlernut said:

Chris, I would try to get that thrown track back on. Will make moving much easier.  You will know right away if the tracks are frozen. Crawl under the tractor and crack the oil pan plug on the engine to drain the rain water that has collected inside, then move back to the transmission and rear end plugs and do the same. Don't take the plug out, just loosen it until you see water dripping and leave it to drain off the collected water in the bottom of the housings.  I think the guy with the tow tractor will really earn his $100.00. Jim.

I can get to none of the plugs till I move it . As it sits now the belly is flat on the ground from it sinking and ground hogs living under it . I know it's all going to be rusted solid inside there

Chris 656,

Welcome! Of course it can be brought back to working order. Just takes time and money! Maybe the good news is it ran when parked! Sounds kind of corny but at least no one has messed with it, other than Ma nature!. My guess is if the track was back on it would tow back to the house in neutral. That said I could be way wrong too. being under water may have done some serious damage. KoO gives them a bath once in a while but I think he gets them dried out pretty quick.

Good pictures and you already have some time invested. I think I would try to get it back near the shop. Not sure how easy it will be to get the track back on??

Good luck! We will keep encouraging you!

Regards,

Chris

(one of the other ones) with a TD6

I vote go for it! Cool crawler, great story, neighbor who is willing to drag it for$ 100.00, you cant lose man! Of course if you dont end up moving it you could always sell the BE dozer assembly off it to a sucker in California who needs it in the worst way (me).

even if you got it out and kept it as a keep sake.  sometimes that tells a better story than sinking 20-30k in a unit .

Chris, You 'll never know if you don't at least Try......give him $50 down & $50 when he  finishes the tow...

What a great find! I don't believe i've found many with the blade on them anymore. 

Chris,

Yea its not my money but sure seems worth the $100 just to have it up near the barn/house/garage, for the kids or grand kids to play on and make tractor noises! Now we dont want you doing that!:) Also will make a heck of a story to add to the family memories of the farm! Yea you have to go get it! Take lots of pictures, post them here and set back and watch the fun!

Regards,

Chris