1066 battery tray (the long skinny one)

Coytee

I'm going to need to buy a new battery for my 1066.  Right now, I don't have any trays (stock) for a battery.  Prior owner fabricated some trays for a battery (larger squarish one).  I'm thinking I'd like to go to the long skinny type (12-volt).  I see them on Ebay/other....but am still not clear how/where they mount.  Makes me wonder if I'm missing something or just don't see the pattern on the tractor.

Would someone consider taking a picture of how each battery tray actually mounts to their 1066 so I'll maybe have an idea if I already have the right parts (less the tray)

Also, do I understand there is a "lid" that goes with them?  I'm guessing the lid has the hold down arms to keep the battery from bouncing around??

Here's what I have.  Don't know how clear it is but he has a rubber bungee cord holding it down.  (yeah, it does seem to work)  I don't like it though.  Also, I think the skinny battery will simply tuck away better.

Battery.jpg

The factory skinny batteries and trays sit up nice and tight on the tractor. They look really nice. The homage boxes for square batteries are ugly but a group 31 battery with 1000 cca will start the tractor better. Thx-Ace

• 2 weeks later...

So earlier today, I was at some new tractor store in town.  (I even forget the name....  Rural king??)

Anyway, I looked at their batteries, I was going to grab one.  Then I saw the CCA and waited.....  figured I'd rather ask first.

This was a "Rural King" battery, was a long/skinny 12V unit.

Group size: 3EE

CCA: 370 @ 0 degrees

440 CA @ 32f

Battery felt a bit light.  I looked at a more traditional squarish battery, it had something like 988 CCA.  I didn't try to lift it.

Main question I have is, would this battery be enough or, would I need to get two of them?

Tag also said "100 RC Mins"  

This is again, for a 1066.

I have a right side battery tray on the way to me so I'm going to try to use the long skinny battery.  I'm just wondering if I need to get the second tray and put a second battery on it.  (both would be 12V)

If your winters are not too cold, a single 12V will start the tractor.  2 12V would really crank it over.  Be sure to hook the cables up correctly. Originally,  your tractor was equipped with 2 6 volt batteries. 

A pair of 12V in parallel or 6V in series will start the tractor fine. You will want a pair either way. A group 3ET will fit and from Interstate is 460 CCA. A pair of 12V in parallel would get you 920 CCA. I have a pair of 3EH 6V in series in my 766 diesel, which gets me 875 CCA and it starts great.

3EH is the original size.  4EH was an optional upgrade for more power but seem to be unavailable in my area.  3EE is a shorter battery with less power.  It take two of these batteries mounted on both sides wired in series.  If you are not concerned about factory appearance. put a group 31 in your battery box and it will start better.  Thx-Ace

In my opinion you would be better off going to a tractor junk yard and getting a pair of originals . You will then be able to see how they mount , get all the bolts and chances are find something else you need. 

I have seen some of the aftermarket trays that are not as good as the OEM ones.

370CCA? Not even with a downhill run and a tailwind.

You're not going to get a single long skinny battery with enough oomph to start that tractor. Takes two, whether two 6V in series or two 12V in parallel.

There's nothing cheap or wrong with the battery you looked at. That's how they are.

An update to my question...

I went ahead & bought a couple of the trays not knowing if I'd have the hardware or how they mount.

I just walked out to the tractor with one of them to give it a dry-fit...  turns out all (but one I think) of the bolts are already in place so I think I just have to buy one.

Nice.

This brings me to my question...  I looked on ebay, found someone selling the top covers to the battery....  I asked them if there was a right/left like the trays or does one top fit all?

Their answer was "why not buy two and find out....we have a return policy..."

Well, I don't want to buy/return if I can help it...so I'll ask here...

Does the same cover fit both sides or is there a right/left battery COVER that goes on top?

Now that I know the tray's fit, I'll get some bolts when the weather drys, get a couple of batteries and mark this issue off my list.

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

An update to my question...

I went ahead & bought a couple of the trays not knowing if I'd have the hardware or how they mount.

I just walked out to the tractor with one of them to give it a dry-fit...  turns out all (but one I think) of the bolts are already in place so I think I just have to buy one.

Nice.

This brings me to my question...  I looked on ebay, found someone selling the top covers to the battery....  I asked them if there was a right/left like the trays or does one top fit all?

Their answer was "why not buy two and find out....we have a return policy..."

Well, I don't want to buy/return if I can help it...so I'll ask here...

Does the same cover fit both sides or is there a right/left battery COVER that goes on top?

Now that I know the tray's fit, I'll get some bolts when the weather drys, get a couple of batteries and mark this issue off my list.

I am sure they are identical. I don't think there is any reason they wouldn't be.

For what it’s worth, when my battery’s sit in the trays, there is a little room for them to move in and out .  I made a 3/8”  by 3/8” by 14”  square spacer out of oak to sit in behind my battery’s so they sit tight to the outside of the tray.  It made my battery covers fit better.  It’s not necessary and perhaps yours won’t need it but if you find that your lids dont quite fit perfectly you can try this.

Nice idea, thanks!

I bought two batteries today (3ET or something like that?.... they're in my car, I forget numbers)

None the less...  

I'm presuming that I can wire them one of two ways (they are both 12 V)

I can take the +/-  of one and take it (parallel) to the +/- of the second, then take the +/- of the second and take it to the starter / ground.

OR, I could...

Take the + of each battery, take it to the starter.  Take the - of each battery and take it to ground.

Correct?

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

Take the + of each battery, take it to the starter.  Take the - of each battery and take it to ground.

Correct?

This is what I would suggest. My brother has a ten66 that needs a pair of batteries currently

Nice, thanks!

With how saturated the ground is, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have the tractor out prior to August....  it's been what seems like constant rain for six months (not really true) but the ground IS saturated so the drizzle rain we got yesterday....and continues today....  is just keeping it soaked.

I tried to take my brother in laws truck out to the tractor one day.....  and it got stuck on the slope, just sat there spinning its wheels.  I backed up to get a running start on some flat ground and still couldn't make it up.  Thing is, it's not a "hill" but merely a slope.  

Taking the tractor or backhoe out will only leave ruts & shred the fields....  so they're sitting quiet for while.

I can't even work on the tractor since I cant drive it to the house and I'm not going to drag all my tools out to where it sits.

So, it sits.

Archived