Mini Scout build

so you recently picked this up general shelf in walmart.....?

what are the dates on package?   and current owners?

most of package dates, pre '77  then lesney matchbox of UK purchased,they went to universal in HK ,then tyco, bounced around then mattel

where a better kit not seen in regular stores most times, craft store would have them $5-50 back then with only top sellers on hand

IH would be rare , 1456 + wagon ..........but some of the ships in series were 3 ' +

1 hour ago, mmi said:

so you recently picked this up general shelf in walmart.....?

what are the dates on package?   and current owners?

most of package dates, pre '77  then lesney matchbox of UK purchased,they went to universal in HK ,then tyco, bounced around then mattel

where a better kit not seen in regular stores most times, craft store would have them $5-50 back then with only top sellers on hand

IH would be rare , 1456 + wagon ..........but some of the ships in series were 3 ' +

Purchased at Walmart last week. Says AMT on the box. I’m sorry I dont know a lot about the rest of it. It is a “retro” model according to the sticker on the box. 

Just now, Sledgehammer said:

Purchased at Walmart last week. Says AMT on the box. I’m sorry I dont know a lot about the rest of it. It is a “retro” model according to the sticker on the box. 

somewhere it should state (not USA or UK) country of MFG

current copyright? long expired unless mattel kept it current ... dont know if they got AMT in deal or not (tyco may have spun it)

upc and dating code would also be new.    what has been occuring is items are being found in orient warehouses  and sold/ reboxed

edit

waiting for a response seems a group has purchased several lines since 2009 and are now into the 3rd wave of amt relaunch

40 minutes ago, mmi said:

current copyright? long expired unless mattel kept it current ... dont know if they got AMT in deal or not (tyco may have spun it)

upc and dating code would also be new.    what has been occuring is items are being found in orient warehouses  and sold/ reboxed

AMT wasn't owned by Mattel. Ertl owned AMT from 1983 to 1997. Before that it was owned by Lensey Products. Lensey did get bought by Mattel in 1996. 

1 hour ago, mmi said:

edit

waiting for a response seems a group has purchased several lines since 2009 and are now into the 3rd wave of amt relaunch

No offense but I don’t understand the importance??  Looks like “AMT” is owned by “Round 2 LLC”. Made in China designed in USA

AE3C588A-4097-4D4C-B6B1-19216EE1B0E8.jpeg

I have alot of respect for you guys that put them together. I never could all mine ended up glued together in aclump never could get the parts to fit together right. Looking good Todd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, todd674 said:

That’s pretty impressive. I don’t take things that seriously I guess but sure do appreciate the people who can. I never even thought about making more parts. 

No offense but I don’t understand the importance??  Looks like “AMT” is owned by “Round 2 LLC”. Made in China designed in USA

hadnt followed that universal spun them off  that would explain why ertl offered some cheap IH kits mid '80's

but was more in response to seeing MANY NOS matchbox kits hit the market on mass       from foreign warehouses

one can only hope for finding some NOS IH kits but not at $300 ea 

Todd it looks like gold wheels, check for a black dash. You may have stumbled upon a goodie....... :)

looks like fun. I should look for some for the kids 

• Haha 2

I have too many hobbies but this one has been fun. Really took me back in time to how much fun I had modifying these as a kid. I think I have all the paint work done except a few small touch-ups. Just need some time to glue things together.  Masking and painting the fiberglass door inserts was pretty tedious. I think they probably make actual masking tape for models but I used the blue stuff I already had. It isn’t made for details. 

Looks good so far Todd. l don't know if it will help but here's video of a guy building the same kit. lt might help you with some of the details. l found him when l was looking for videos about the Cat D8H kit l bought.

AMT was owned by Ertl for many years; I worked with some of the employees who came to Ertl from AMT. Saw the Enterprise D before the TV show was filmed back in the late 80's.  Also worked on a project at Ertl to being the JD, IH and MF model kits back into production. We had the JD 4430 and 310 backhoe loader done and many kits were sold. I used to have a set of gray plastic IH 1466 parts plus the IH plow in my collection...

8 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Looks good so far Todd. l don't know if it will help but here's video of a guy building the same kit. lt might help you with some of the details. l found him when l was looking for videos about the Cat D8H kit l bought.

Thanks, Guy. I actually watched that right after I bought the model. Gave me a few ideas to try and a few not to try. 

• Like 1

It's neat they include a set of Jackman wheels. Jackmans were all the rage back in the 70's and actually on a real SSII the interior was painted the same color as the body.

Got a few minutes to glue some parts together. The dash, seats, and shifters are in. Note the CB radio under the dash. In my real Scout I mounted the CB to the side of the seat post. There was more room there than under the dash. Since I went white with the body to match the racer pic I did not want a white interior. This is flat black with dash and seats done in gloss. I have black interior in my 1980 and the dash is vinyl making it fairly glossy. 

FD6F48C6-1A7E-41F7-8BC5-D7F9C0456B64.jpeg

0BA2D4B5-A98E-4137-B7F3-04FE1879C9CE.jpeg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

Looks good!!  Seem like it was a pretty quick build. Do you have plans for anymore? Maybe one of these??   :)

I’ve got too many hobbies the way it is now. The Scout got me in a weak moment. That and the little guy doesn’t understand that he can’t play with a model.