Sign in to follow this  
Glen Fynaardt

5240 WILL NOT MOVE

Power shift indicator light comes on at engine start up and stays on continuous, not flashing. It will not flash with clutch pedal down.Tractor will not move. It only gives trouble when it is cold. Below 10 degrees . Pull it in shop for 5 minutes (60 degrees) and everything works properly. Temp probe has 1464 ohms at 4 degrees. I installed a 220 ohm resistor I had hoping to fool it into thinking it was 140 degrees. Set outside overnight and still the same failure. Tractor serial number is 1021947, no neutral on reverser control. The service manual code chart has a footnote that says to heck the SHR suppression diode. Correct, me if I am wrong, is this he 6 pin diode above the main hydraulic pump (A187863)? This diode tests bad when cold, warm it up and it checks good, put it in the freezer and it goes bad again. I have one on order. Funny thing is when tractor is operating properly I can remove this diode and it still works like it should. I am getting ready to hang a trouble light by the shift selector lever switch. Trying to determine what warms up. I am doing this outside beause it takes am overnight cool down to fail. The forward and reverse pressure is good I have not checked power shift pressure. Could all 4 pressure switches fail at the same time?   HELP   Thank You

Make sure you don't have water in your transmission oil.  Could be freezing a solenoid not letting the oil  flow until it's warmed up.

Glen:  When you say the diode tests bad, do you mean open circuit or short circuit?   I do not have a schematic for that machine, but usually a suppression diode is connected across a coil (like a shift solenoid) to absorb the reverse electric spike that comes out of the coil when it turns off.  This prevents electrical "noise" from affecting other circuitry in the machine.  You can remove the suppression diode or it might be failed "open circuit", and everything will still work (although you might get random weird errors...)    However, a shorted diode will shut everything down.   

My old JD B isn't moving in this weather either...I forgot to drain the watery oil out of the rear end and fill with fresh oil last fall.  At least one gear is frozen into an ice chunk.....

Their are fie diodes in this six pin body. Terminal "c" is common to the others. In failed mode all 5 are  "open " both directions. When warm their is resistance one way.

1 hour ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Glen:  When you say the diode tests bad, do you mean open circuit or short circuit?   I do not have a schematic for that machine, but usually a suppression diode is connected across a coil (like a shift solenoid) to absorb the reverse electric spike that comes out of the coil when it turns off.  This prevents electrical "noise" from affecting other circuitry in the machine.  You can remove the suppression diode or it might be failed "open circuit", and everything will still work (although you might get random weird errors...)    However, a shorted diode will shut everything down.   

My old JD B isn't moving in this weather either...I forgot to drain the watery oil out of the rear end and fill with fresh oil last fall.  At least one gear is frozen into an ice chunk.....

Back years ago when A and Bs were on farmhands here. You had to put a lot of heet ( gas line antifreeze) into engine to keep oil pump from freezing. And drain water off of trans. They would run kerosene or diesel fuel in trans to thin the oil over winter.

The old B is almost retired.. it comes out once a year for the most important job on the farm....pulling the the old IH 4r plate planter to plant the sweet corn!   I do need to give it a little attention one of these days...change some oil and fix a leaky wheel seal.

Internal coupling may have fallen of and is laying in bottom of trans. pressures will be ok. You can access from the right (passenger) side as there is a inspection cover about center on that side..This was not an uncommon  failure.

You can check your pressure switches as they open on raising pressure, (88 psi) disconnect the top one and make sure selector in in 3rd gear with DVM hooked to switch you should see it open. Repeat for remain switches. Order of switches top to bottom is 3-1-2-4. if controller sees more than one open it will disengage transmission. 

Is it moving yet?