Sign in to follow this  

Tires- Firestone, Harvestking

My 5288 has Armstrong 20.8x38 radials, one has developed a sidewall crack and went flat, guessing it pinched the tube. So looking at new radials, Firestone at 1350 each and harvestking at 1000 each. Anyone have any experience with the cheaper radials? Mostly pulls a v rake for a couple weeks during summer, silage cutter for a week in September, a bale processor to feed cows for a few winter months. Only hard pulling it does is an 18' Salford @ 8 to 10mph some springs, only if we are wet. Bias would be cheaper but I like the way the tractor rides and pulls with radials. Any opinions?

The harvestkings dry-rot pretty bad according to the local shop. At that price I would go Firestone as in my experience they will double the lifetime compared to cheaper ones 

• Like 3

I’ll second the Mitas. The Harvest Kings we’ve had (steer tires only) seem to dry rot real quick. 

33 minutes ago, bitty said:

The harvestkings dry-rot pretty bad according to the local shop. At that price I would go Firestone as in my experience they will double the lifetime compared to cheaper ones 

X2.  For the money the Firestone is the way you want to go.  They will be the most rugged best made tire you will find.  BKT would work well for the work you are describing but for 350 I’m getting Firestone ever time.  

That's what I thought also, I put a set on my 7120 a couple years ago after the Michelins did the same sidewall cracking with nearly all the tread left.

All of the Michelin tires we have are cracking. I can't say that I'm overly impressed with our michelins. We have eight 20-46 Michelins and eight 18-46 Michelins

8 hours ago, tractorholic said:

Go firestone. You won't regret it.

I do! I’ve got a set of 18.4 Radial All Traction tires that are splitting where the sidewalk meets the tread. You can easily see where the two different rubber compounds meet and that’s where they are starting to separate. So far I’m liking Mitas better.

Firestone - not even a question with such a small price difference. 

I've never had an Armstrong yet that hasn't done exactly what you describe. 

1 hour ago, Doc Egor said:

I've never had an Armstrong yet that hasn't done exactly what you describe

Those tires are old if they are Armstrongs. They haven't made those tires since the mid 90s. If i recall they were folded into Titan.

For whatever its worth, we have a set of bias ply HarvestKings on the front of our 3230 loader tractor. Had them for a couple of years now and haven't seen any undo checking or uneven wear. 

Of course we are a Avoid Firestone if possible farm.

• Like 1

Firestones are the only real tire made, just like IH tractors. Everything else is an imitation.:D

• Like 1

Who makes the Titan tires? That is what is on my tractor.

Id go with firestone cause I seen the others dry rot in a year. Exaggerating a little but not far off , my goodness your spending so much money on them to have that happen ,go with a best 💸tires . Plus the gription of a better tire with more plys side wall tires will save a lot in fuel ️ That what I say good luck 👍🏿 

My 766 had almost full tread harvest kings on it when I bought it. 18.4-34’s. I never looked at the date (wish I would have). They were bias. They showed some cracking here and there but overall I thought they would last me a good while. They almost looked like the sidewalls had more cracking than the treads. Well a year in the sidewall ripped wide open and I had to buy Firestone’s. I can’t say how old they were for sure but I doubt they were over 10-12 yrs old and completely failed with 98%tread.  That’s enough to steer me away for good. 

26 minutes ago, Bushwacker1 said:

I’ve had great luck with Titans. Made in America. Big arse flag righ in the sidewall. I will admit though our TN75 Came with them new and are starting to crack pretty good around the lugs. For a tractor that never sits out kinda makes me mad. It is 9 yrs old though. 1500hrs. Everyone here hates the long bar short bars. Lol. I personally put a new set on my 1086 because my last set wore so damn good on pavement with my baler. 

Surprised nobody has mentioned BKT. The ones I’ve ran did really good. If I were gonna slump out on price this is what I’d pick. Looooottssss of fwa tractors running around here with them on front. Guys claim they do good. 

Not impressed with the harvest king I put on my 656 I'll bet it's got 20 hours and rubber is soft enough the tread has  gouges from what I don't know... The God knows how old Michelin did not... Same job.

2 hours ago, Bushwacker1 said:

Titan ,Armstrong and maybe Goodyear are all together now? I forget, not a brand that I ever had any luck with except for the long bar short bar Armstrong hi power lugs that were on the maxxum we bought new. They did ok, just didn't get great traction or clean out good 

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned BKT. The ones I’ve ran did really good. If I were gonna slump out on price this is what I’d pick. Looooottssss of fwa tractors running around here with them on front. Guys claim they do good. 

We got a set of BKT on the front of are 5088 fwa they have held up pretty good but the ones we have had on the rear of other tractors seem not to hold up as well as Firestone are tractors run on alot of blacktop and that's normally where are wear comes from.

7 minutes ago, 88power said:

We got a set of BKT on the front of are 5088 fwa they have held up pretty good but the ones we have had on the rear of other tractors seem not to hold up as well as Firestone are tractors run on alot of blacktop and that's normally where are wear comes from.

Question is do the rears hold up close enough to Firestone’s to be cost effective?  Not to get into a tire debate here, I think we all agree Firestone’s are the #1 tire. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Question is do the rears hold up close enough to Firestone’s to be cost effective?  Not to get into a tire debate here, I think we all agree Firestone’s are the #1 tire. 

The tire guy told me once that if we didn't run on black top like we do he wouldn't buy stones the BKT where fine  and at the time we weren't buy BKT from him just the stones IMHO that says something but like you said we all agree Firestone is #1 (unless there on a for explorer 😝)

• Haha 1

I’m of the opinion that if I buy a set of good tires I should get 20 years of field use ? Right or wrong ?

not saying  Road work running wagons of grain ,just field 

6 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

I’m of the opinion that if I buy a set of good tires I should get 20 years of field use ? Right or wrong ?

not saying  Road work running wagons of grain ,just field 

Should be able to. We had 5,000 hours on the 5140 when we took the factory tires off (Armstrong hi power lug bias ply) and put on Firestone radial all traction and the MFD radial front. Those lasted till 12,000+ hours before they were close to bald