Pete1468

Bought this more for Dad then me, but I like it too!

My grain trailer tarp had a couple holes in it and was the thick heavy one you couldn't roll in the cold.  Dad's 70 and still hauls for me so to make it easier for him I bought the electric tarp a week ago.  Today I got off work early and hauled a load of beans to Cargill.  I didn't have to get out in the snow!  Pulled up to the probe while I hit the button, closed it while I waited and pulled into the dump building without getting snowed in.  I'm wishing I would have done it for him a while ago.

KIMG0122.JPG

• Like 4

those things are slick! 

was this  on a used/already owned truck?

any comment on the different tax s? 

When I ordered one thru body builder  they wanted to charge $500-800 in tax  if it was mounted to a new body/truck

being a refit and manual, IIRC it was < $1200

The only days I want the electric tarp is when it’s raining, otherwise I don’t mind the little walk around.  Sounds like the electric tarp is standard equipment on a Timpte now, the hand roll tarp is the option.

When you haul into big elevators a electric tarp and traps are a must. We were hauling corn to a gavilon elevator. I would pull over and open tarp by hand in driveway. Two trucks usually pass you opening theirs on the go. Then when you pull in pit. They don’t want you out of truck but they like electric opening traps.

2 hours ago, mmi said:

was this  on a used/already owned truck?

any comment on the different tax s? 

When I ordered one thru body builder  they wanted to charge $500-800 in tax  if it was mounted to a new body/truck

being a refit and manual, IIRC it was < $1200

Used trailer that had one on it at some point.  $200 roughly on tax. 

I used one with an electronic trap and didn't like it.  My Wilson has the strap traps and they open very easy.

Dang 3.80 corn and 8 beans must be rough.           😁😁

ha..... few silage hauler guys have gone elec tarps.  Most say they love em.  Keeps boots clean and shirt dry round here.  Custom silage hauler up road has 24-26' boxes (one on quad axle frame) and has the fore to aft tart system and likes it.

I don't think electric tarps like farmer loads at harvest time when the grains piled over top the hoops. Not that I'd know anything about that though lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I don't think electric tarps like farmer loads at harvest time when the grains piled over top the hoops. Not that I'd know anything about that though lol

If I pulled it over the bows is be over 100,000 easy.  If I fill to the bottom of the bows I can get 94-96,000 on.  The first semi I loaded was when I was 13-14 and I filled it with a grain cart from one end to the other to the bows, just like a wagon.  The trucker was a little hot but did take it to town.

• Haha 2

Does your trailer have a vent? If not, unloading with the tarp closed is a good way to suck the tarp down and bend the bows. Seen it happen a few times. We have one vented trailer & one invented. Unvented one we open the tarp so it's hanging st and eight down on the side of the trailer. That will allow enough wir in to pre vfc ent sucking in the tarp yet load still is covered.

Yes, mine is vented.  My old trailer had 3x3 traps and that one I believe would have folded like an accordian if the tarp was left on.  Cargill you can't open all the way but the two ethanol plants I go to you could open the old one all the way wow did that unload quick, but it wasn't much fun for augers.  This trailer is AG hoppers.

When we hauled into gavilon. They have guys in the runway to open trailer. Almost half the farmers up here have electric traps now. The guys in elevator have 3 to wrench’s hanging for most of the different trailers but they love just pushing the buttons. They open close traps and get you out. Once I weighed in and out in 2: 10. Dumped a 1000 bushels and scale is about 800 ft from pits.our trailer is a old steel with manual tarp and trap.

9 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Dang 3.80 corn and 8 beans must be rough.           😁😁

ha..... few silage hauler guys have gone elec tarps.  Most say they love em.  Keeps boots clean and shirt dry round here.  Custom silage hauler up road has 24-26' boxes (one on quad axle frame) and has the fore to aft tart system and likes it.

Troy I don't know how to take that one.  My dad's 70 and hauls grain for free for me.  Anything I can do to make it easier for him I'm going to do to keep him around I'm going to do it.  He's had rotator cuff surgery and has a hard time breathing.  I work a full time job and run two businesses, farming is what I love to do on the family farm that's been here since it was the only stop between Sioux City and Cherokee.  The rail road beat us here but not by much. 

I can't recall making any smart comments about dairy being tough.  That's all I'm going to say on that matter.

• Confused 1

I have had an electric tarp for years.  Wouldn't be without it.  Wouldn't work for someone without one.  I am 75 and my shoulders wouldn't hack it.  The first tarp I electified was one of the heavy Wahpeton Canvas Co. tarps.  When cold it was like a piece of tin.  Maybe 10 years ago.  I do all short hauls.  I am not a farmer.  They have new stuff.

4 years ago I got stupid (knew better) and bought a used Timpte super hopper grain trailer because the price was right.  I asked the owner if the traps worked decently because they are notorious for hard working traps, especially the long ones like this trailer.  He said oh, yeah.  No problems.  Operate easily.  Now I didn't believe him but bought the trailer.  First load, I could not move the traps  Even on low speed.  There was a hellforstout employee at the elevator that got them opened and he said he had never been around one that tough.  So much for the sellers honesty.  I did a lot of fixing, lubing, adjusting, etc. and did get working easily enough that electric actuators will operate them.  When hauling where gravel roads are traveled on, it takes the electric AND the hand crank.  My older Wilson works fine with the crank traps.  Ornery when on gravel roads, but doable.

I am always about 5 minutes away from quitting, so I will not be updating anything.  Hauling grain does not make much money for the owner/operator.  Maybe none.

Keep that stuff working easily for your Dad, Pete.  He is valuable.

Ron

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

If I pulled it over the bows is be over 100,000 easy.  If I fill to the bottom of the bows I can get 94-96,000 on.  The first semi I loaded was when I was 13-14 and I filled it with a grain cart from one end to the other to the bows, just like a wagon.  The trucker was a little hot but did take it to town.

This reminds me of a similar situation I heard about. When my grandfather retired for the third time I hooked him and a neighbor up. My neighbor bought my grandpa's truck. 1975 C60 Chevy. Single axle with a high sided 16 foot steel box. Grandpa hauled cobs with it so the box couldn't be to big. My neighbor was gonna haul grain. They hired a different neighbor to run the grain cart. He filled it JUST LIKE A WAGON. Full from one end to the other. They took it about 4 miles to a livestock farmer. Had well over 500 bushels on it. Nicely of course, but the grain cart operator got specific instructions, DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN.

• Haha 2

You also don't want to leave your truck in the field for the farmer to fill after the elevator is closed.  You will be badly overloaded!  Guaranteed!!

Ron

• Like 2

My trucker had a new B train with electric tarps. It only opened half way at very cold temp's, we loaded the trailers then struggled for hours getting the tarps back on. When he came back for the second load he had a tridem trailer with a hand roll tarp.

So far it's worked at 0 several times.  I wonder if he had snow or ice in there and it froze some.  Mine came with a crank for emergency use.  I like everything about it except the price so far.