I was in the truck stop in Valentine when this guy come up and said "you a driver"? I said yes and he gave me a sob story about riding with his buddy in Montana when they arrested his buddy and took the truck and left him afoot. He was trying to get back to Texas. Been riding the bullracks to get him this far. Told him I could get him another two hours south to North Platte, he readily accepted. Told me some more tough luck story and within about 5 minutes he was asleep and slept the whole way. I let him out  at a Flyin J and when he shook my hand I palmed him a 50 cuz I thought what if everything he told me was true, my life's pretty damn good. If it was all BS, so what, I'm out a 50 and that's all. On the flip side, a lady from just west stopped to pick up an indian male who was walking. He took her to a deserted road at knifepoint and did very, very bad things to her and left her for dead. He took her pickup and beat it back to the rez and was never caught. I have told my wife if you want to stop and don't recognize them, that's fine but: keep it in gear with your foot on the gas, doors locked and window cracked just enough to talk and ask if you can call someone. Besides we know all the dispatchers / law enforcement real well and I have called them many times to report suspicious persons on the side of the road, let the sheriff handle it. 

• Like 2

I was in the truck stop in Valentine when this guy come up and said "you a driver"? I said yes and he gave me a sob story about riding with his buddy in Montana when they arrested his buddy and took the truck and left him afoot. He was trying to get back to Texas. Been riding the bullracks to get him this far. Told him I could get him another two hours south to North Platte, he readily accepted. Told me some more tough luck story and within about 5 minutes he was asleep and slept the whole way. I let him out  at a Flyin J and when he shook my hand I palmed him a 50 cuz I thought what if everything he told me was true, my life's pretty damn good. If it was all BS, so what, I'm out a 50 and that's all. On the flip side, a lady from just west stopped to pick up an indian male who was walking. He took her to a deserted road at knifepoint and did very, very bad things to her and left her for dead. He took her pickup and beat it back to the rez and was never caught. I have told my wife if you want to stop and don't recognize them, that's fine but: keep it in gear with your foot on the gas, doors locked and window cracked just enough to talk and ask if you can call someone. Besides we know all the dispatchers / law enforcement real well and I have called them many times to report suspicious persons on the side of the road, let the sheriff handle it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scraglycat said:

Oops, wrong fictional tv character, should have said Boomhaur

Can't be Boomhaur....he made more sense.....

12 hours ago, scraglycat said:

I wonder if he's Dale from King Of The Hill

Edit: Oops, wrong fictional tv character, should have said Boomhaur.

I think you had it right the first time Dale was the one always talking about government stuff like that n Boomhaur I never could understand

I got taught from my parents never to pick up hitchhikers. Living near the prison capital of Michigan, Jackson, you didn't pick up hitchhikers. There were even signs on all the major roads telling you not to pick up hitchhikers. They took those signs down a few years back now because it isn't as bad as it used to be and Jackson thought it made the town look unfriendly. Back when the prison farms were still going it was not uncommon to have prisoners walk away from the farm and escape. That's what killed the prison farm system in the state. A couple of guys walked off the farm, went to a neighboring house, killed the couple during a robbery and then snuck back to the farm trying to establish a alby. There were a number of escapes too from prisons too up through the early 90s. 

True story, 2 guys escaped from a work detail near Parma. Next morning Dad went out to do chores. Started up the silo unloaders and suddenly 2 guys come running out of one of the barns wearing prison jumpsuits running in the opposite direction. Knowing what had happened Dad called the cops and then the calvary arrived. Caught one hiding in the woods on the farm. Don't recall what happened to the other one as that was 28 or 29 years ago and i was young at the time.

Those lessons stayed with anyone that lived in this area during that time frame. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Back in the late 70', early 80's I used to pick up a fair amount of hitch hikers. The recession then had put a lot of people out of work and many were in dire straights. The one I remember most was an older fellow I picked up on a interstate exit. He had lost his job and home in WV and was trying to get back home to family in TN. He had been on the road 5 days so far and hadn't had much to eat. I had packed some sandwiches for the trip so gave him those as we went down the road. I was driving an early Bronco at the time in which the gas gauge didn't work. I had made this trip many times and had always had enough gas to go the whole way. This time, however, I had gone a different way and wasn't thinking about the gas. Especially as I was talking with the unfortunate gentleman riding with me. Sure enough I ran out of gas. Fortunately, it was right at an exit, so I drifted down to the bottom and figured I'd walk to a gas station, buy a can and come back. I told the fellow he should go back up the exit and see if he could get another ride. He insisted he wanted to wait till I came back to make sure no one messed with the Bronco. It took me about 2 hours to get back and he was still there. I had bought some extra food which I gave to him when I let him out about 50 miles later where I got off the interstate. It was getting dark but he was upbeat about getting another ride. But, he said he would walk all the way if he had to. Looked like he was in his mid 60's. I'll always wonder if he made it.  I never had any trouble with any of the folks I picked up, even the scroungiest ones. But, times have changed and I never pick anyone up now. That's really sad.

• Like 2

Years ago I caught a ride to Colorado from Wisconsin then hitched from climbing area to climbing area.      Sometimes rode in a car most times in the back of a pickup truck.  When I had difficulty getting a ride I just hung my climbing rope and gear on the back of my pack.  That made a connection easier.    When I got back home I vowed to pick up hitch hikers more often.    I never had a time that I felt threatened BUT I had to drag a drunk out of the back of my truck because he passed out.   That changed my practice, I have not picked up anyone for years. 

• Like 2

I couldn't find the video but here is a link to the this news story that happened back before Christmas

https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/FBI-KPD-investigating-after-robbery-of-West-Knox-bank--503350961.html

This was one of the crazier hitchhiking story's I've seen lucky no one was hurt. A man actually picked him up and after he dropped him off got the notification on his FB that he was wanted. He called the cops and told them where he dropped him off

1 hour ago, 88power said:

I couldn't find the video but here is a link to the this news story that happened back before Christmas

https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/FBI-KPD-investigating-after-robbery-of-West-Knox-bank--503350961.html

This was one of the crazier hitchhiking story's I've seen lucky no one was hurt. A man actually picked him up and after he dropped him off got the notification on his FB that he was wanted. He called the cops and told them where he dropped him off

LOL Last time I picked someone up was a woman just south of Sioux Falls SD. I was driving back to Ft Riley (mid 90s) and her car (old beater) had broke down. I was driving a regular cab F250. Dead of winter, right around +5 or so. Woman didn't look bad, clothing looked clean. The woman reeked! I had to crack my window open it was that bad. She wanted to go KC but I only took her as far as Sioux City IA. Her not worried about her car had me thinking that something didn't smell right.........

Rick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, oldtanker said:

LOL Last time I picked someone up was a woman just south of Sioux Falls SD. I was driving back to Ft Riley (mid 90s) and her car (old beater) had broke down. I was driving a regular cab F250. Dead of winter, right around +5 or so. Woman didn't look bad, clothing looked clean. The woman reeked! I had to crack my window open it was that bad. She wanted to go KC but I only took her as far as Sioux City IA. Her not worried about her car had me thinking that something didn't smell right.........

Rick

Lmao I could start a whole nother thread on this right here but I'd get booted for sure

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, 88power said:

Lmao I could start a whole nother thread on this right here but I'd get booted for sure

True story!

Rick

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mmi said:

did you EVERY hear of a sports stadium paid for with owner or private money...?   taxpayers get the bill at least twice ,while $10 ice cream and tax s go to other areas .

Yes. Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots, built and paid for by Robert Kraft the owner of the team.

• Like 1

In my area you can’t walk more then mile down any road without running into a border patrol.  

• Like 1

Is hitchhiking still a thing?  don't think I have seen a hitchhiker in 15 years at least around here

Guess it would depend if I had time or not to stop etc.

Woman hitch hiking in woods : Stock Photo

I have been told that women and children are used to lure people in for bad reasons. I wouldn't be trusting of any type unless I know them 

• Like 1

Back in the summer of 1971, me and my high school friend went cruising in my Galaxie Ford that I worked hard that morning cleaning inside and out. We drove to an area lake, when in the road ahead were two Hippies. I stopped to see what the guy and girl needed. They needed a ride to their campsite down the road about a mile. So we let them into the back seat, when we got a strong whiff of an outdoor toilet odor. We rolled all the windows down and still it was about too much stink to stomach. As we arrived to their campsite, the guy got out and walked off down to a car, which another guy was rebuilding the transmission. The girl got out and asked us to see their bus, leading the way and into the bus we went. She quickly danced around until we were in the back where a huge bed was. She decided to fall down onto the bed all spread out, when A light bulb came on in my head to leave in a hurry. To this day I will never pickup anyone off the street, unless I know them well.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MTO said:

Yea, no not like that in the sandhills, they may be that good lookin' but wouldn't be dressed like that. And if you got fresh they would kick your a$$.😳😃

4 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

Is hitchhiking still a thing?  don't think I have seen a hitchhiker in 15 years at least around here

There's quite a few in this area,a few years ago the supreme Court shot down the city of Lexington's no pan handling ordnance said it was a freedom of speech. So you get all kinds of joker's around here now

I stopped at a store to get a coffee and this guy comes up to me asking for a ride. 

I told him the company has a no rider policy, and I couldn’t give him a ride, not that I would have anyway. 

Than he told me the town he wanted to get to, it was the town I was in😱🤔

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, MTO said:

Your wife's name is time huh?

• Haha 5

Anti-hitchin story.

My brother and I were plowing some rented ground 5 miles from home.  I was about 12.  We were plowing on the same land and he was pulling 3 14's w/ the 2020 and I was pulling 2 14.s w/ the Dexta.  Every round I would gain on him a little bit.  After some time I got REAL close and wanted to screw w/ him.  As had been the case EVERY time before when at the end of the land he'd raise the plow up, turn, turn again, front right in the furrow, plow down and off he'd go in one smooth motion.  Well finally it turned out I was prob only about 15 feet behind him on the fateful round .  He raised the plow up, turned, turned again, right front in the furrow, lowered the plow and then.......STOPPED (for some unknown reason).  Well, I put the front end of the Dexta right into the back of his plow.  He yelled at me big time and told me to hit the road and head home to tell Dad.  Of course I was dreading that conversion....

Ok so here's the hitch hiking part.  I started home and before getting there I had at least a half a dozen neighbors stop and ask me I wanted a ride home.  To each I just hung my head and said" No, but thanks anyway" and keep walking. 

And not that anyone here wondered but Dad was NOT pleased.

• Like 1

My cousin was in the band in high school. They went to an away football game one Friday night, the whole band, had their own bus for the people and instruments.  When the game was over, his instrument got loaded, but as usual, he was off screwing around and somehow got missed during the head count.  He got a lift from a local person to the truck stop out by the Interstate and in just a couple minutes was riding shotgun with somebody he knew in an empty bull rack heading home. Passed most of the busses that had been to the game he had been to.  Had to wait 10-15 minutes at the High school for his bus to show up to get his instrument.

• Like 1

I picked up a hitchhiker one dark night. He said thanks buddy, but aren’t you worried I could be a serial killer? I said nah, what are the odds of two of them in one vehicle?

*just a joke, folks!!!

• Haha 3

10 years ago, I was working in Des Moines, got off at 11 PM.  Stopped to fill the car at Casey's in Altoona.   Had a young woman aproach me as I was filling up. She noticed my Poweshiek liscence plate and asked if I was from Grinnell. She was well dressed and only carrying a purse.  Seemed like she had been drinking.   I said I was from Grinnell.  She was a college student from Grinnell College.  She had been up in Des Moines bar hopping with friends.  Stopped at the station for fuel and her friends left while she was in the bathroom (an hour ago!).  She had misplaced her phone.  I gave her a ride home. We talked, laughed and sang along with the radio. When I dropped her off in front of her dorm building, she offered me "compensation " for her safe return home. I was flattered, but turned her down....... Being a nice guy sucks sometimes!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1