I say no way no how unless they have a kid these days I don't trust many people. Even if I know them if there shady I wouldn't say no they have drugs on them and dump them in your truck in the event you get pulled over it's your vehicle it's your baby here in KY. God for bid pick up a female and they say you tried or did push yourself on them and your in a big mess. Sorry just got in a big debate with someone over this

• Like 4

But somehow it’s okay to call Lyft or Uber and get in a car with someone you don’t know....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

But somehow it’s okay to call Lyft or Uber and get in a car with someone you don’t know....

Yeah a couple of my co workers tried that one did it for a while the other couldn't because he had a dv on his record I wouldn't even ride with him in a company truck he was always nodding out, I remember he ran a 986 into a wooden guard rail going across a dam on a lake told the boss the steering went out I drove that damn thing for thirty minutes up and down the road couldn't get it to do anything but yeah that's what kind of people could be driving you around

7 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Gotta agree with 88. Hitch hikers have been a potential problem sense I was a kid. Not by any means all or even most but that few out there that robbed, raped and murdered. Mostly because you were being kind and offering a lift. Today it's even worse. Any female a male picks up can claim that you did something. Somehow that innocent until proven guilty thing got ignored. Or they do have drugs when you get tagged for speeding that they dump in your vehicle. Lot of potential for unwanted trouble there. I haven't picked up a hitch hiker in years.

Rick 

• Like 2

I sometimes pick up hitchhikers but not always. I have picked up females and am sometimes propositioned by them, I always decline.

A friend broke  down in Lawton OK and hitched to Ozark AR. 300 miles  took him 10 hours. I thought he made good time. Thx-Ace

I never have picked anyone up unless it was someone I knew and knew well.  

• Like 2

Just now, jass1660 said:

Govt collects fees   insurance collects $$$ fees,lawyers get $$$$$ fees,expanded govt with hires to watch and keep it safe.

they forced all the private carriers out,under safer  cheaper and operate the :"PORT ""AUTHORITIES""  in worse condition

AH in govt (on signing day )get donations to make it ok....gambling and booze is legal so long as $ 90% goes into unintended slush fund

while all the red tape is paid from general fund

did you EVERY hear of a sports stadium paid for with owner or private money...?   taxpayers get the bill at least twice ,while $10 ice cream and tax s go to other areas .

14 minutes ago, mmi said:

Govt collects fees   insurance collects $$$ fees,lawyers get $$$$$ fees,expanded govt with hires to watch and keep it safe.

they forced all the private carriers out,under safer  cheaper and operate the :"PORT ""AUTHORITIES""  in worse condition

AH in govt (on signing day )get donations to make it ok....gambling and booze is legal so long as $ 90% goes into unintended slush fund

while all the red tape is paid from general fund

did you EVERY hear of a sports stadium paid for with owner or private money...?   taxpayers get the bill at least twice ,while $10 ice cream and tax s go to other areas .

What?

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Reminds me of a funny story. I had to go to town on a -5* day. When I got to the city limits there was a guy carrying a battery about three blocks from an auto parts store. Figured I would give him a ride because of the cold. Stopped and offered to give him a ride which he accepted. He opened the door and just stood there for a short while. About that time my dog stuck his head between the seats from the back. Forgot he was back there. Finally convinced him the dog wouldn't attack him and we made the ride to the parts store without incident.

Dennis

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, acem said:

I sometimes pick up hitchhikers but not always. I have picked up females and am sometimes propositioned by them, I always decline.

A friend broke  down in Lawton OK and hitched to Ozark AR. 300 miles  took him 10 hours. I thought he made good time. Thx-Ace

My mom's cousin came to visit us from Germany while he was going to school. He stayed with us for a week or so then he hitch hiked/walked to Chicago then westward(can't remember final location) then flew home. This was in the mid 1990s.

2 hours ago, new guy said:

What?

I wonder if he's Dale from King Of The Hill

Edit: Oops, wrong fictional tv character, should have said Boomhaur.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have picked a few up from time to time...none recently.  For one thing I couldn't say when the last time was that I've seen somebody hitching.  When I have I tended to avoid the nasty looking ones.  If it looked like somebody who had just broken down or something I'd offer them a ride, usually they were pretty grateful.  I even took a guy 4 miles to get a can of gas (his can) and back so he could get going; it was pretty dang cold that day.  Don't think I would again nowadays though, it's a lot more dangerous world we live in than even 5 or 10 years ago.

I heard a story a few years ago on a pod cast this old guy said he was head of dispatch for a trucking company and they got wind a driver had been picking up hitch hikers so he decided to follow him. He followed the driver to a rest stop driver got out done his thing got back in the truck and pulled out of the parking lot before the guy could get his car out of the parking lot he seen a blonde getting up into the drivers truck, truck takes back off going down the ramp to get back on to the interstate the guy said he made it up to about thirty miles a hour and the passenger door flys open and out comes the blonde scooting across the grass truck never slows down the guy had a cb in his car he got on it and asked the driver what happened driver told him he the blonde climbed into the cab and said I bet you seen my hair and though I was a girl driver said it doesn't matter I'm gonna f*** you anyway and that's when the hitch hiker went out the door

The last one I picked one up was around 10 years ago. I took them to the house they wanted to as it was on the road my destination was on also. I use precaution when doing things like this. I had stopped to help change a tire on a rice burner on the turnpike 15+ years ago and I made sure I had one in the pipe before I got out of the truck. I was hardly able to break the lug nuts loose as they must have been put on with an impact and they had one of those lug wrench that is at an angle and it darn near wanted to strip the corners off .

Years ago when my sister was coming up to visit she lost the timing belt in her Honda and a guy stopped by and let her use his cell phone to call us ( back when cell phones weren't as common yet) . He then told her to lock herself in her car until we got there 

• Like 1

The strange/dangerous chit flows both ways.

A bud of mine and myself were going to do our Spring Break by backpacking in the Smokies.  We hitched down 65 from Indy to Louisville and got dropped at the 65/64/71 interchange, it was about 2:00 AM.  Everything was quiet and serene and we pitched out tent for the night.  Woke up about 6:00 to our surprise w/ rush hour traffic going every witch-way around us....LOL.

Packed up and started thumbing.  Guy in a Chevy station wagon picks us up.  We tell him we're headed east on 64 to hit 75 then south to Knoxville.  No response.  Next thing we know we're seeing signs that say I-71, Columbus nnn-miles.  Mike and I look at each other w/ that W** look and tell the guy; we're heading south and you're going north?  He doesn't say chit and keeps on drivin.

So then we tell him to pull over and let us out....which he did.

The moral of the above IMHO is that hitchin is dangerous.  Not only TO the peeps givin the rides but also TO the peeps that receive them.  I don't have any stats to cite but I've heard of many instances where peeps seeking rides have been assaulted, raped, murdered by the ride providers.

Bonus experience -

First semester in college.  I sometimes hitched back home for the weekend usually mid to late Friday afternoon.  This one time I got picked up by a Michigan State Trooper at the Olivet exit on I-69.  I had hair to my shoulders (yea, I'm sure a big surprise to y'all) and prob a half to a full ounce of pot in my backpack (yea, 2nd big surprise to y'all).  I was not the least paranoid and he was not at all prying.  We had a great conversion about this that and the other thing and we shook hands as he let me off at Capital Ave in Battle Creek.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A coworker of mine told me he was out east somewhere in the 80's driving back to the midwest and pulled over to pick up a hitchhiker.  He said when he saw the hitchhiker's face he got a bad feeling and drove off.  He said he was in the motel that night watching the news and he saw the hitchhiker's face on the news.  The guy was wanted for murder.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, MCC said:

A coworker of mine told me he was out east somewhere in the 80's driving back to the midwest and pulled over to pick up a hitchhiker.  He said when he saw the hitchhiker's face he got a bad feeling and drove off.  He said he was in the motel that night watching the news and he saw the hitchhiker's face on the news.  The guy was wanted for murder.  

Did they get the guy ? 

I don't know what happened.  He told me this story 20 years ago and has since retired.  He just said it made his blood go cold when he saw his face on tv.  Said he would never ever slow down again.

Was -20 in town one night saw a guy walking but limping bad went up and saw he was very off. Called law instead I knew the officer, talked to him later 3 day meth high.  

Side note I some times pickup a hitch hiker but never without my sidearm.

• Like 2

^^^^^ great advice. If you can defend yourself it's a better idea than not 

• Like 1

Saw a very pretty and probably very young girl standing on the on ramp to interstate probably 8 or 10 years ago. Cold rainy very early morning. Kicked myself for not stoping all the way to work as i was worried about some perv grabbing her. Then i thought what if somebody thought i was a perv. And if she was a run away i would feel bad that i took her farther from home....hope she made it somewhere safe.

• Like 1

I have never picked up someone i didn't know. Last year coming out of a somewhat local dollarstore guy asked me to jump his car, no big deal. I come out he is waiting i ask where is it, he says over there. Gets in my beater farm truck we go down in a neighborhood drive up into a back yard. He pulls tarp off old explorer i was not turning my back on this guy. I was feeling a little uneasy he kept wanting me to hook it up. I'm thinking no way your standing behind me. I finally said that  pos needs more than a jump and left. Not sure what he was concocking but wasn't good.

Our farms are pretty spread out in kind of a 3 mile circle. Something breaks and no one can give me a ride i usually start walking most everyone knows me. Walking late one afternoon young mom pulls up in minivan 2 kids in car gives me ride I didn't know her from Eve. Get back to shop thank her and thought damn that was dumb of her. Have since tryed to leave farm truck at farm night before, if driving tractor down in morning. Has saved me lot of time and trouble.

• Like 1

Funny story on me from my college days-----1960 or 1961.

I left Oxford, Ms (Ole Miss) on a bright sunny day with my thumb out hitch hiking home.  Made real good time to just west of Indianola along U.S. 82.   Was getting dark an an unexpected cold front had shown up.

I had been on side of hwy for awhile-----cold was really setting in (I wasn't dressed for it).  Strong wind and had started sleeting------it was cold----cold!!!!

I could see one dim set of headlights approaching------turned out to be a 1954 Buick with no shock absorbers.  The old car was "loping" as it came down the highway.  The big Buick started slowing down and stopped (all the windows were frosted up)-------the right rear door opened and it was a carload of blacks.

One of them said:  "get in boss-----you gonna freeze out there".

I piled right on up in there with them-----musta been 8 of us in the big Buick.

As we started rolling------the driver pulled out a pint of whiskey and said save that white boy a drink-----I believe he needs a drink to thaw out.  When the bottle came by me I hit it for a real slug and passed it on. (awwwhhh-----nothing like drinking it straight from the bottle!!!)

They were headed to Leland (next town).  I told them to drop me off at the Gulf station (also sold whiskey) and I will buy another bottle for ya'll.  They all sorted shouted and the old Buick sped up a little.

I bought them a bottle and off they went.  Then called my dad to come pick me up.

Man-------was that a good riding ol' Buick (even with no shocks).😉😆

We didn't keep up with the weather forecasts back then like we do now.

And--------that was in the days before liquor was legal here in Mississippi.  But I knew it was alright to buy it there since my dad had been buying it there all of my life.  (and I had made several purchases there myself)😳

Sorry to say---------those good old days are gone.  It's a different world out there today.

DD

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, littletom said:

Our farms are pretty spread out in kind of a 3 mile circle. Something breaks and no one can give me a ride i usually start walking most everyone knows me.

I was baling one summer afternoon and the main drive chain broke on the baler. Of coarse I didnt have what I needed to fix it with me. And dad was baling 10 miles the other way, no one else home, so start walking I guess. Of coarse I was on a 5 acre field, where you should be able to get done in no time. Right, lol. Anyway, I had a vehicle at the next field I was going to about 2 miles away, so figured I'll go to the car then home for tools. Beautiful summer day, walking down the main road, which is always busy with tourists and people coming home from work. You think I saw a vehicle the whole time I was walking? Not one! As soon as I got to the car and turned on to the road, about 10 people I knew went by. Probably saw 30 vehicles in 4 miles when I was going home lol

So I guess with my luck I can hitchhike and not get picked up, so I'll do the same back lol. Haven't picked up someone I dont know, and probably won't start now

This thread has just reminded me of an incident that bothers me . I think it was Jan. 3rd I had been in Medicine Hat to the Chiropractor and not far East of the city on the Trans Canada was a hitch hiker I went past . The next morning on the news he had been hit and killed , I could have had him at least another 100 miles and changed the circumstance completely .

• Sad 2