Sign in to follow this  
oldtanker

Follow up 706 shifting

No joy. Nothing above the shift plate is binding so it's someplace in the trans mission. Going to be a long slow drive to the MIL's place in 1 HI. It is what it is hope it's only 4 more weeks of winter.

Thanks.

Rick

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

No joy. Nothing above the shift plate is binding so it's someplace in the trans mission. Going to be a long slow drive to the MIL's place in 1 HI. It is what it is hope it's only 4 more weeks of winter.

Thanks.

Rick

4 more weeks of winter?  C’mon, that almost sounds like optimism from you.

As a fellow Minnesotan I can almost guarantee at least 1 good snowstorm in April.  

Old guys would put it in neutral and have their wife  pull it with a pickup. Lots of Ms had high gear out. People just pulled them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

4 more weeks of winter?  C’mon, that almost sounds like optimism from you.

As a fellow Minnesotan I can almost guarantee at least 1 good snowstorm in April.  

What can I say? I'm an optimist! 

27 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Old guys would put it in neutral and have their wife  pull it with a pickup. Lots of Ms had high gear out. People just pulled them.

LOL, yea and I bet if I suggested that to my wife she'd use some very unladylike language to describe what she thinks of my mental state!😱🤣😈

Rick

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

What can I say? I'm an optimist! 

LOL, yea and I bet if I suggested that to my wife she'd use some very unladylike language to describe what she thinks of my mental state!😱🤣😈

Rick

Dad always talks about mom pulling him on his H JD after a timing gear broke Many years ago. About 20 mph the H was bouncing all over the place. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

Old guys would put it in neutral and have their wife  pull it with a pickup

My wife would pay good money to get me on the end of a log chain😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dale reminded me of something, did you guys ever see (or maybe even do) the guys who would take a car or truck rear end make a little trailer out of it but run a pto shaft down the rear end and kick the tractor out of gear and in gauge the PTO they say you could cook on down the road doing that idk I seen it in a old tractor magazine year's ago

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 88power said:

Dale reminded me of something, did you guys ever see (or maybe even do) the guys who would take a car or truck rear end make a little trailer out of it but run a pto shaft down the rear end and kick the tractor out of gear and in gauge the PTO they say you could cook on down the road doing that idk I seen it in a old tractor magazine year's ago

At the in-laws there was a model T rear-end that they were going to put under the back end of a silage wagon. They did custom chopping back in the'50 to '60s  and then they used a PTO shaft to add rear axle assist in the mud . They used a M with a M&W hand clutch to run the chopper. The M had arps half tracks.  I forget what model # IH chopper it was (#16 maybe) 

They had a worm gear rear end so it would have been slow. 

I should have said that they pulled the wagon next to the chopper using a tractor on the wagon. Only Aunt Allie is still around from that generation and I am not sure if she or her husband knows what tractors they pulled wagons with. I am thinking it was a second M

• Like 1

Rick,

You could stiff hitch the M to the 706 and get there in style!!!  Use the hydraulics on the M to steer 706 and cruise on over!!

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Rick,

You could stiff hitch the M to the 706 and get there in style!!!  Use the hydraulics on the M to steer 706 and cruise on over!!

Naw, too cold!

At least the 706 HAS A CAB AND HEAT

Rick

12 hours ago, sandhiller said:

My wife would pay good money to get me on the end of a log chain😳

...purely   as a matter of academic interest...and having done a lot of logging......which end of  the  log chain would your wife prefer you ??? The   dynamics vary considerably   .................

...like   one end can be hard work......but the business end would be...I imagine......hard  luck.....:(

Mike

• Haha 2

Dont you have a 1206 with a cab too?

2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Dont you have a 1206 with a cab too?

Cab is off right now. Needs the TA gone through. Got a date set up to take it in. So the 706 is it.

Rick

Ah i see. Well that sucks.

6 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Tell your mother in law to buy a shovel.

LOL woman is 83 years old. Live alone in a lake shore home with a long drive. I bet she could shovel it if she had to.😲

9 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Ah i see. Well that sucks.

Well like I said, it is what it is. Guess I'll make a couple of long slow trips yet before winter is over. I hoped that it was going to be an easy fix but not this time😥.

Rick

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, mike_newman said:

...purely   as a matter of academic interest...and having done a lot of logging......which end of  the  log chain would your wife prefer you ??? The   dynamics vary considerably   .................

...like   one end can be hard work......but the business end would be...I imagine......hard  luck.....:(

Mike

Thank you for your interest Mike. Most people wouldn't touch this situation with a 10 foot pole but you seem braver than most. Now if  we agree our log chain has two distinct ends, then she would be at the controlling end and I would be at the controlled end. Theoretically. with the improper application of too much speed multiplied by the wobble factor of my shamelessly narrow front end, she could get me to confessing to things I hadn't even thought of doing yet.  

• Haha 3

Dont ypu have a n and a tractor supply blade to just park there?

Just now, mader656 said:

Dont ypu have a n and a tractor supply blade to just park there?

I had C 5-6-7 fused last year. Don't know if I could deal with trying to push snow while backing up. Tuff enough with the blower behind the 706 to start with. plus no where to put the snow. Heavy woods right up to the edge of the drive Then  limited parking area. No real room. BIL had a buddy go in while I was recovering from the knee replacement. He plowed. You can tell the guy hasn't had a plow for very long. Could barely get in there. Then he piled snow right where it shouldn't have been. He tried. But experience counts. 

On a side note, didn't you get the word? The N's are on the way outta here. Bought an 860 Ford.

Rick

54 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Gotta say this one went off the rails fast.

I KNOW, some people's kids! Oh wait, your talkin' bout me. Ok, I'll stay more focused and quit puttin' pennies on the tracks. 😞      Oh look, somethin' shiny🏃‍♂️💨

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, oldtanker said:

I had C 5-6-7 fused last year. Don't know if I could deal with trying to push snow while backing up. Tuff enough with the blower behind the 706 to start with. plus no where to put the snow. Heavy woods right up to the edge of the drive Then  limited parking area. No real room. BIL had a buddy go in while I was recovering from the knee replacement. He plowed. You can tell the guy hasn't had a plow for very long. Could barely get in there. Then he piled snow right where it shouldn't have been. He tried. But experience counts. 

On a side note, didn't you get the word? The N's are on the way outta here. Bought an 860 Ford.

Rick

Take all the tractors sell them and buy a new 4.75 new holland. Cab front wheel drive and loader. Just make a 100 easy monthly payments 

• Haha 1

Just now, dale560 said:

Take all the tractors sell them and buy a new 4.75 new holland. Cab front wheel drive and loader. Just make a 100 easy monthly payments 

It's that payment thing that I hate.

Rick

1 minute ago, oldtanker said:

It's that payment thing that I hate.

Rick

Me to. Seriously my brother in law bought on for their 10 horse farm he loves the tractor. I don’t know anything about them though. I think he paid 35,000 and a 1896 Case ih tractor on trade for a new one. He bales feeds and does all farm chores with it