Sign in to follow this  
806 man

Bugs, Gee who could see this one coming at us

Looks as if the time is getting close to choose between feeding the worlds population of humans or feeding the worlds population of bugs. Hmmm which will it Bee. yes i know some critters are important for pollination of crops. Where i live they produce a lot of seed crops so bee's are used in this area.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/rapidly-declining-insect-populations-spell-catastrophe-for-the-survival-of-mankind-scientists-warn

Hey, I don't care if we're causing a global extinction event likely to lead to the end of the human race as long as I'm not slightly inconvenienced by some mosquitoes in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

More “the sky is falling and its humans fault” crap. It must be an awful heavy burden to carry, thinking that they are responsible for everything that is wrong with the environment. I’m not saying let’s trash the planet, but some of this is beyond our control. As I have said before, pretty arrogant of us humans to think that it is completely our fault. Funny thing is the first pop up ad on the link was for bed bug killer. 

• Like 3

I've never noticed a shortage of bugs out in my fields trying to live by eating my crop. Today's insecticides are soft when compared to the past. I have no problem cutting back on pesticides as long as grocery chains are willing to accept bug invested produce.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, 806 man said:

I've never noticed a shortage of bugs out in my fields trying to live by eating my crop. Today's insecticides are soft when compared to the past. I have no problem cutting back on pesticides as long as grocery chains are willing to accept bug invested produce.

But while you are worried about the ones eating your crops what about the other ones that are dying too........the ones that pollinate your crops?

Don't think they figured out how to get rid of one without killing the other.

Rick 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

More “the sky is falling and its humans fault” crap. It must be an awful heavy burden to carry, thinking that they are responsible for everything that is wrong with the environment. I’m not saying let’s trash the planet, but some of this is beyond our control. As I have said before, pretty arrogant of us humans to think that it is completely our fault. Funny thing is the first pop up ad on the link was for bed bug killer. 

Not saying you dont have a point but i kinda think its a bit arrogant to think man has no impact on nature either.  Going by the attitude some have would most likely have resulted in the extinction of the bald eagle and other birds of prey.

• Thanks 1

Oh absolutely, I didn’t mean to imply that we have no impact. I just don’t believe that we are solely responsible. If so the only way to fix the problem is to eliminate the human race. Let’s start with the people who live in large cities and save the people who live on the land for last.

• Thanks 1

In Mrs Cortez’s new green deal she wants to elimate cows because they fart. All animals generate gas. So the fewer animals there are the better right.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, MarkG said:

In Mrs Cortez’s new green deal she wants to elimate cows because they fart. All animals generate gas. So the fewer animals there are the better right.

Well, I can't save the world all by myself but I will eat a T-bone for dinner, hopefully that will make her happy🥩

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

But while you are worried about the ones eating your crops what about the other ones that are dying too........the ones that pollinate your crops?

Don't think they figured out how to get rid of one without killing the other.

Rick 

Usually my crops don't need bees.   If the neighbor has hives in the area I spray early in the morning when the air is calm and before the bees get out of bed which is around 58 degrees which is 9.30-10.00 am this is the common practice in this area.  Generally the bees are more interested in the crop they are brought into pollinate. Do bees trespass on my property? sure I cant stop them does that mean i have to stop protecting my crop, No. however,  there is common sense that comes into play here by the applicator. Not all insecticides kill bees. If it was that easy to spray once and kill everything off i would have dead bodies laying everywhere which i don't because of the chemical mode of action.

31 minutes ago, MarkG said:

Better not bring AOC over to my house cause If she had any idea of gas generated in my house i would be next in line for elimination.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, 806 man said:

Better not bring AOC over to my house cause If she had any idea of gas generated in my house i would be next in line for elimination.

Her gas comes out her mouth.......your fine

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, 806 man said:

Usually my crops don't need bees.   If the neighbor has hives in the area I spray early in the morning when the air is calm and before the bees get out of bed which is around 58 degrees which is 9.30-10.00 am this is the common practice in this area.  Generally the bees are more interested in the crop they are brought into pollinate. Do bees trespass on my property? sure I cant stop them does that mean i have to stop protecting my crop, No. however,  there is common sense that comes into play here by the applicator. Not all insecticides kill bees. If it was that easy to spray once and kill everything off i would have dead bodies laying everywhere which i don't because of the chemical mode of action.

LOL no, I was just mentioning that there are some good bugs out there too. There is a problem with the bees though. Local guy who has bees says that his bees are dying off at an alarming rate. And this guy makes his living on honey. Runs several semis back and forth between here and LA moving bees and hives around. I ain't seen no proof but he claims it's the chemicals. He claims roundup is the big problem. Says it kills more than weeds. Like I say, I haven't seen any proof.

Rick

The latest research on bees is leaning to varroa mite  is even more destructive to bees than they thought. The varroa mite was becoming a problem in the late 70's. By luck the first bees from Europe did not bring the mites. The mites came and bees have been having trouble ever since.

I have almost always had wild bees in 2 giant oaks in my yard. Some times 2 hives in the same tree. I don't watch them that close but at the worst of the drought no bees one year. But 2017 had bees all over. They started 4 new hives that a amiture bee keeper captured when they swarmed. He has been doing things that some woman in Germany has promoted and he said his hives were doing better. Have to visit him and see what he has to say now.

44 minutes ago, ray54 said:

The latest research on bees is leaning to varroa mite  is even more destructive to bees than they thought. The varroa mite was becoming a problem in the late 70's. By luck the first bees from Europe did not bring the mites. The mites came and bees have been having trouble ever since.

I have almost always had wild bees in 2 giant oaks in my yard. Some times 2 hives in the same tree. I don't watch them that close but at the worst of the drought no bees one year. But 2017 had bees all over. They started 4 new hives that a amiture bee keeper captured when they swarmed. He has been doing things that some woman in Germany has promoted and he said his hives were doing better. Have to visit him and see what he has to say now.

I have been watching this, and I hope learning a bit.  The Varroa mites are really bad, and when the mites weaken the bees you start to have other issues.  The bee industry is changing, hopefully in time

17 hours ago, MarkG said:

I fart often will I be eliminated too?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, oldtanker said:

LOL no, I was just mentioning that there are some good bugs out there too. There is a problem with the bees though. Local guy who has bees says that his bees are dying off at an alarming rate. And this guy makes his living on honey. Runs several semis back and forth between here and LA moving bees and hives around. I ain't seen no proof but he claims it's the chemicals. He claims roundup is the big problem. Says it kills more than weeds. Like I say, I haven't seen any proof.

Rick

Local guy here does the same thing with his bees in the spring hauls them to Ca. for use in the almond trees. Says he buys 5 semi tanker loads a year of molasses to fed the bees plus sales some molasses to others.

🚫beeltes 

48 minutes ago, 806 man said:

Local guy here does the same thing with his bees in the spring hauls them to Ca. for use in the almond trees. Says he buys 5 semi tanker loads a year of molasses to fed the bees plus sales some molasses to others.

This guy hauls em out of here about first frost and brings em back in APR.

7 hours ago, augercreek said:

Darn! I'm in trouble too!

Rick

7 hours ago, augercreek said:

After the last few days I better be close to the front of the line. Haven't felt the best the last few days. Every time I eat or drink anything it starts. So send her over.😱

On 2/11/2019 at 11:58 AM, Indy Farmer said:

Hey, I don't care if we're causing a global extinction event likely to lead to the end of the human race as long as I'm not slightly inconvenienced by some mosquitoes in the summer.

Mosquitoes are not just an inconvenience, they kill more than a million people a year just through the transmission of malaria. Add to that the numbers of those sickened and killed by other mosquito-borne diseases such as dengue fever, yellow fever and West Nile virus.

Zika virus – no vaccine, no cure.

West Nile virus – no vaccine, no cure.

Dengue fever – no vaccine, no cure.

Yellow fever - no treatment but there is a vaccine. Good thing because the fatality rate can be as much as 50% I've had mine.

They are not pollinators, just instruments of death. If ever a species deserved destruction, this is the one.

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

Mosquitoes are not just an inconvenience, they kill more than a million people a year just through the transmission of malaria. Add to that the numbers of those sickened and killed by other mosquito-borne diseases such as dengue fever, yellow fever and West Nile virus.

Zika virus – no vaccine, no cure.

West Nile virus – no vaccine, no cure.

Dengue fever – no vaccine, no cure.

Yellow fever - no treatment but there is a vaccine. Good thing because the fatality rate can be as much as 50% I've had mine.

They are not pollinators, just instruments of death. If ever a species deserved destruction, this is the one.

Add Lyme's disease to the stuff they can transmit 

more to it than just mosquitoes and more to it than pollination- which is huge itself- though.     Just because we're at the top of the pyramid, so to speak, that  doesn't mean we shouldn't worry about the base.   If the planet's getting so it can't support relatively simple creatures it seems only logical that sooner or later we're in  trouble ourselves