Sign in to follow this  
oldtanker

706 shifting issues

Recommended Posts

Went out to blow some snow now that the charging problem is fixed. HI, LOW and Reverse shifting is fine. TA works fine. Doesn't want to come out of 1st. When I do get it out of 1st it' wont go into 2nd or past 2nd and is difficult to get back into 1st. Where do I start looking? Really can't afford to have it down long and really don't what to have to drive it 8 miles each way to take care of my mother in law's drive in 1st gear.

Thanks

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take panel off below steering column. See if it is shifting correctly, or maybe roll pin broke in collar on shift deck shaft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ole 815 said:

Take panel off below steering column. See if it is shifting correctly, or maybe roll pin broke in collar on shift deck shaft

Thanks!

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Went out to blow some snow now that the charging problem is fixed. HI, LOW and Reverse shifting is fine. TA works fine. Doesn't want to come out of 1st. When I do get it out of 1st it' wont go into 2nd or past 2nd and is difficult to get back into 1st. Where do I start looking? Really can't afford to have it down long and really don't what to have to drive it 8 miles each way to take care of my mother in law's drive in 1st gear.

Thanks

Rick

Rick if my memory serves me right that is the same as 806. If so you might check under the dash behind the fuel tank there is a swivel joint linkage it might be binding.                                           WES

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

Rick if my memory serves me right that is the same as 806. If so you might check under the dash behind the fuel tank there is a swivel joint linkage it might be binding.                                           WES

OK thanks. That's what it feels like, Like something is binding.

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldtanker said:

OK thanks. That's what it feels like, Like something is binding.

Rick

That linkage works the rod that goes from your shifter rod and works the rod that goes into your transmission. I think I got IT book here if I can find it I'll post a pic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a pic of parts breakdown number 4 and 5 and 6 might be worn

0210192115.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

Here's a pic of parts breakdown number 4 and 5 and 6 might be worn

0210192115.jpg

OK thanks.

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The speed transmission used grooved tapered pins on shaft number 7 to shift it and they work out  and could catch on something. I would use a geared hose clamp to keep them  in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it  TA tractor? If so pull the TA back when shifting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Big Steve said:

The speed transmission used grooved tapered pins on shaft number 7 to shift it and they work out  and could catch on something. I would use a geared hose clamp to keep them  in.

It's the 1-2-3-4 shifting that's the problem. Does hi-low-N-reverse fine.

6 hours ago, R Pope said:

Is it  TA tractor? If so pull the TA back when shifting.

Don't seem to make any difference if the TA is in low or high. 

Had part of it apart, can't find anything wrong on the top end. May have to just leave it in 1st till winter is over. Gonna hate the 2 hour round trip to the MIL's place but it is what it is.

Thanks guys.

 

Rick

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldtanker said:

It's the 1-2-3-4 shifting that's the problem. Does hi-low-N-reverse fine.

Don't seem to make any difference if the TA is in low or high. 

Had part of it apart, can't find anything wrong on the top end. May have to just leave it in 1st till winter is over. Gonna hate the 2 hour round trip to the MIL's place but it is what it is.

Thanks guys.

 

Rick

 

There are 2 of those pins on top of the 1-2-3-4 cover as well. I make my own taper plns. Drive them in with air impact. They do not back out. Does require the air tool to remove them though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

There are 2 of those pins on top of the 1-2-3-4 cover as well. I make my own taper plns. Drive them in with air impact. They do not back out. Does require the air tool to remove them though.

OK I'll take another look

Thanks

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could also be the half moon key that turns the shifting cam, which is below the cover If you can't find anything external

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, thanks for the input. Going to get the TA done on the 1206 in Apr/May.  Then get the cab back on that. Be nice to have a backup.

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years back I lost 3rd and 4th on my 1066. It was also very hard to shift 1st and 2nd. It turned out to be a broken shift fork. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

A few years back I lost 3rd and 4th on my 1066. It was also very hard to shift 1st and 2nd. It turned out to be a broken shift fork. 

That's interesting. 2 weeks ago I drove it to my MIL's. Shifted fine, 4 HI all there way there. Then down to 1 R and 1 HI while blowing snow, ta low or high as needed. Drove home 4 HI. Went to blow my drive the other day after some drifting and was going to go back up the drive and wanted 2HI and it wouldn't shift. Tranny fluid level is good.

 

Thanks 

Rick

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I should clear up that it didn't shift 1st and 2nd hard until after the 3-4 fork broke. After I got the cover off I found what was left of 3 4 fork turned and came out of the arm it engages into and went up against the other fork. 

Be careful if driving it if you have a broken fork. The other gear could slide on the shaft and you could have it in 2 gears at once. Then you'l be puling it home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Maybe I should clear up that it didn't shift 1st and 2nd hard until after the 3-4 fork broke. After I got the cover off I found what was left of 3 4 fork turned and came out of the arm it engages into and went up against the other fork. 

Be careful if driving it if you have a broken fork. The other gear could slide on the shaft and you could have it in 2 gears at once. Then you'l be puling it home.

OK thanks. 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on what it feels like where you should look.   If the shifter lever is all loose and floppy, making it hard to get the gears to move, it is a linkage problem.  (Yes, a pin may have worked partially out and catching on something, but you should be able to easily see that) .  If on the other hand, the lever feels solid, but you just can't get it to move the gears, I'd bet its a internal problem like a fork or a cam.  You should be able to see pretty quickly---just use a flashlite to look under the footboard at the linkage going to the shift arm on top of the speed transmission (#13).  If the linkage is trying to move the arm, but it won't go, its internal.  If the linkage is just kinda sitting there and twitching without putting any force on the arm, look at the linkages.

BTW, even is it is something internal, its likely not a hard fix.   Pull the floor plate, and then the speed cover...fix the roller cam assm, forks, etc, and drop them back into place.  If I had to guess from your description, I would say you have a cam roller (#10) broken & the indent arm pin (#6) has worn into the cam plate (#9) enough to catch rather than slide.  This won't hurt anything for the time being, just makes it hard to shift.  A broken cam fork would mean no shifting into those gears period.

One other thought...make sure the clutch is fully releasing.  A misadjusted clutch or dump linkage could also be causing hard shifting, although I would think it would be on H L R as well.

ih shifters.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Its been awhile since I retired but I remember that those machined surfaces on each top side right and left being where the steering console bolts down. Making it more complicated than simply removing the deck to remove the speed cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really fun with a cab on. 🤥Take off both supports after removing the battery trays and all the shifting linkage. Need to support the fuel tank, I usually put a block or small hydraulic jack in there by the starter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O/T a few years ago I broke my shift fork. It seems I had 1-2 but not 3-4. Then after messing around I had 3-4 but not 1-2. Then I got it between gears but I was being very cautious so didn’t mess anything up  I was lucky and only had to limp mine a few hundred yards. 

 

392BA92E-3B4B-4AFD-A4A1-DD8B1A78079A.jpeg

8F1FA16A-82D6-419B-A668-A317E3453DA0.jpeg

C0B0E00F-B4A3-4083-9F4F-11B01BBB41C9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, thanks for the advice.

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

It depends on what it feels like where you should look.   If the shifter lever is all loose and floppy, making it hard to get the gears to move, it is a linkage problem.  (Yes, a pin may have worked partially out and catching on something, but you should be able to easily see that) .  If on the other hand, the lever feels solid, but you just can't get it to move the gears, I'd bet its a internal problem like a fork or a cam.  You should be able to see pretty quickly---just use a flashlite to look under the footboard at the linkage going to the shift arm on top of the speed transmission (#13).  If the linkage is trying to move the arm, but it won't go, its internal.  If the linkage is just kinda sitting there and twitching without putting any force on the arm, look at the linkages.

BTW, even is it is something internal, its likely not a hard fix.   Pull the floor plate, and then the speed cover...fix the roller cam assm, forks, etc, and drop them back into place.  If I had to guess from your description, I would say you have a cam roller (#10) broken & the indent arm pin (#6) has worn into the cam plate (#9) enough to catch rather than slide.  This won't hurt anything for the time being, just makes it hard to shift.  A broken cam fork would mean no shifting into those gears period.

One other thought...make sure the clutch is fully releasing.  A misadjusted clutch or dump linkage could also be causing hard shifting, although I would think it would be on H L R as well.

ih shifters.PNG

To remove the speed trans. cover, the steering column needs to be removed, along with the floor plate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this