Installing pistons on DT361

42 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

What's so hard about turning the crankshaft 3 times?

No joke.

I give the crank a spin after each piston goes in so I know if I have a tight rod bearing, or maybe a tight cylinder.  I might have overlooked something when doing my checks.  You bolt all 6 in and go to turn it and it's tight....  now which cylinder was it???

TGFain.... buddy, I think you should have maybe gotten someone to help you on this.  I'm really concerned with as many questions as you are asking..... and questions I think should have got asked, but didn't.... that you may end up learning a very expensive lesson on why you let professionals (or at least get help from one) rebuild engines.  An IH D361 is a bad engine to learn on.

Before you go any further....Did you hone fit (with a bore style locking hone) the pistons to the sleeves? 

2 hours ago, J-Mech said:

No joke.

I give the crank a spin after each piston goes in so I know if I have a tight rod bearing, or maybe a tight cylinder.  I might have overlooked something when doing my checks.  You bolt all 6 in and go to turn it and it's tight....  now which cylinder was it???

TGFain.... buddy, I think you should have maybe gotten someone to help you on this.  I'm really concerned with as many questions as you are asking..... and questions I think should have got asked, but didn't.... that you may end up learning a very expensive lesson on why you let professionals (or at least get help from one) rebuild engines.  An IH D361 is a bad engine to learn on.

Before you go any further....Did you hone fit (with a bore style locking hone) the pistons to the sleeves? 

Thats why my 361s are sitting collecting dust just not ready to gamble the very expensive lesson that could be learned quit yet! 

• Like 1

I just started reading two of your threads this morning. I didn't read all of them so I'm sure I've missed something. Did the machine shop put in the sleeves? Did they bore it first?