Jump to content

Rebuilding a 784 engine cost


Recommended Posts

Went to a little junk yard about a hour from me today just to see what he has drug in!  Has a 784 guy dropped it off said it was wore out so they made a deal then the yard owner said now that i bought it whats wrong with it! Guy said it was hard starting used either and finally he couldnt get it to start again so he said the heck with it parked it and bought a new one sat outside for 3 years! Tachometer says 3100 hours pedals all tight not much wear 3pt drawbar look good definetly looks like a 3100 hour tractor possibly! It has a odd loader im not sure what it is but heavy and its 4wd which i like and the guy told the yard owner the transmission and front end our in working order did say it was hard to streer at times! I have no experience or never been around a utility ih what would a complete rebuild cost me for the engine? I can get a rough idea i think on engine rebuild cost hoping maybe the engine just needs a freshan up maybe bearings and rings of he didnt feed it to much either! But im sure she drank a can or two trying to get it to start the last time 😡 but the BIG question is the cost to rebuild the injection pump not a lot of info out thier on the injection pump! Thinking this be a good replacement for the 656 with loader! Wife says you buy it something gotta go to pay for it! 😢

Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing yourself? Engine maybe 1800-2000, can put an updated pump on it, not sure where seen it but think on here, put a new 4bt style on one. Front end parts might be getting a little hard to come by if is a side drive, but take it off and put 2wd axle on it 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully you get it bought.  Always a market for 4 x 4 loader tractors.   A 4x  4 loader tractor is far more useful than a 2wd.    If the loader is oversize then may have to find the correct loader for it and that might solve the steering problem.  A 784 with 2250 loader to match would make a valuable unit after you finish with it.  There was a thread a ways down about a hard starting 674.   Often on those the precise location of the start position was hard to find making them hard to start if you did not have the handle in the correct location.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, IH884 said:

Hopefully you get it bought.  Always a market for 4 x 4 loader tractors.   A 4x  4 loader tractor is far more useful than a 2wd.    If the loader is oversize then may have to find the correct loader for it and that might solve the steering problem.  A 784 with 2250 loader to match would make a valuable unit after you finish with it.  There was a thread a ways down about a hard starting 674.   Often on those the precise location of the start position was hard to find making them hard to start if you did not have the handle in the correct location.

Wouldnt that be something if thats all it was! My luck never goes like that! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I did the engines in the hydro 84's the first one ran me $3026.00 and the second $3550.00. That was machine shop labor, parts, and the fuel pumps and injectors were looked at. In both cases the pumps needed very little but the injectors were rebuilt. I also had the pump and injectors done for a D239 and that bill ran $764.00. The machine shop work and parts for the 239 ran $2400.00. The 239 was done in 2015 and the other two in 2010 and 2011. Not sure how much if any parts have gone up since then. I did all the tear down and reassembly myself. Depends what you find when you get into them but I would think $3000.00 looks like the number I would budget for. In all three cases they were major out of frame O/H's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IHC_1470 said:

When I did the engines in the hydro 84's the first one ran me $3026.00 and the second $3550.00. That was machine shop labor, parts, and the fuel pumps and injectors were looked at. In both cases the pumps needed very little but the injectors were rebuilt. I also had the pump and injectors done for a D239 and that bill ran $764.00. The machine shop work and parts for the 239 ran $2400.00. The 239 was done in 2015 and the other two in 2010 and 2011. Not sure how much if any parts have gone up since then. I did all the tear down and reassembly myself. Depends what you find when you get into them but I would think $3000.00 looks like the number I would budget for. In all three cases they were major out of frame O/H's.

I did my Hydro 84 a couple yrs ago those are 246 cu in engines actually and I had around $2500.00 in it and that included machine shop work and fuel pump and injector work also

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is not many hours to be looking at a major overhaul.

Before you order parts, I would start with the fuel system and do the nozzles first.

Pull them and take to a diesel shop to be tested and fixed.

Poor spray pattern and low break point can prevent a good easy start.

The next step would be the Robert Bosch pump. That is very high priced to work on and parts are very limited.

Have the pump shop test it and see what it needs and what is available.

If the hydraulic head is wore out, then even an engine overhaul will not make it start.

No one has made a good, workable conversion for these pumps, that I know of.

Talk with your pump shop before buying this tractor.

You need to know what you are getting into before you buy a possible dead horse.

Good luck with the project.

PS: That should start using the overfuel cable. Is that available and being used when starting.

That is the same cable that stops the engine when pulled out all the way.

To start it, pull the cable out until you hit the spring stop, before you go further to kill the engine.

Hold it there and crank to start. When it starts, push the cable in.

This gives additional fuel for starting.

This overfuel does help.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Took 884 head to Knox Auto - around $300 if I remember but one guy has since retired.

Injectors to Wimers to have cleaned and tested.  If you buy it I would send pump and injectors to Wimers to have cleaned and checked...then you know.

When I bought the 544 gas that sat for a few years up at Hetrick’s and wouldn’t run - I had head checked, new carb, plugs, coil, cleaned gas tank, new engine oil - now runs good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

I did my Hydro 84 a couple yrs ago those are 246 cu in engines actually and I had around $2500.00 in it and that included machine shop work and fuel pump and injector work also

The D239 was in a 5000 swather. Sit over winter and filled the crankcase with antifreeze. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is hard to believe that the engine is worn out at 3,000 Hrs, if that is the correct hours. Again many operators don't do proper maintenance and can destroy anything.
I know of some of those German Diesels to go over 10,000 Hrs and still running good and starting good.
I would check the fuel system coming out of the fuel tanks all the way through the filters to the injection pump. 
The tractors have problems with junk or bugs getting in the fuel tank and blocking the outlet on the bottom. Take the fuel line off at the inlet to the first fuel filter and check the flow into a bucket. Compressed air can be blown back towards the fuel tank and that will temporary clear the block tank outlet.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Not sure of the US market but if what I have been told is correct do not put a front end loader on an84 series tractor with a Kimco fwd axle on it. Apparently they tend to fail in a spectacular and expensive way.

I'm sure other people have more and better experience than me and could clarify this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d start at the very beginning, with a new battery, good clean cables/connections, and a known good starter.  Take it off and have it tested to be sure it’s working properly.  I’m not saying this is the tractors problem, but cranking speed is huge on a diesel!!

       Definitely try to get it running to determine if it really needs a major.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pid 1831 said:

Not sure of the US market but if what I have been told is correct do not put a front end loader on an84 series tractor with a Kimco fwd axle on it. Apparently they tend to fail in a spectacular and expensive way.

I'm sure other people have more and better experience than me and could clarify this.

Yup! Steering arms will shear the bolts off on the knuckle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...