SuperWD9

Tractors that weren’t made but should have been.

What tractors due you think should have been made but weren’t (to fill in the gaps) and what would they have been equipped like (engine, transmission, other options)?

Farmall R? Bigger than the M and a rowcrop with a 350ci four cylinder

• Like 2

I always wondered if a hydro 2+2 would have been practical or reliable

37 minutes ago, bitty said:

Farmall R? Bigger than the M and a rowcrop with a 350ci four cylinder

They would have found the limits of the rear end a lot sooner then they did. 

I really can't think of anything.  One thing IH had over everyone was a very extensive lineup almost from the get go. 

F-40. I don't remember if a prototype was built, but I know it was considered. W-40 engine or better yet the WD-40 diesel engine. The rear end should have been like the F-12 instead of the drop boxes and hard to adjust wheel tread spacing like the Reg, 20, and 30's. Hydraulic lift for a large cultivator. 

Instead of a Farmall R, has any one ever tried putting a narrow front under a W-9 Series?

Didn’t say all  International products. I would have liked these white Oliver prototypes.  White prototype engine with Rear timing gear train and frame notches already in the very early 70s. Two speed power shift  and synchro Tran like the  88series and they had a IVT trans mission in one. It just goes to show other companies were outside the box also.

A55BBE6E-6E80-47C6-B42D-C5B7CE9E4D54.png

A49B3C8D-D30F-4509-92A2-870412BE3184.png

52CA6B56-F016-45AB-9F0E-E5DE76C24866.png

63A9C2FF-B3CE-4596-AB4F-075265B31FA8.png

EBD595FB-661A-4FC0-9B7D-B3940A06A3A0.png

9C862482-10A3-4834-9FFD-D38D017EF48C.png

• Like 2

A row crop 606? They made a row crop 404, 504, and so on, but I have only seen the 606 as a utility. Always seemed a little odd to me. There might have been a good reason for it, and I might just be completely wrong. That’s my thought 

I was thinking a 5588 and even the 5388 would be cool if it went into full production.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Didn’t say all  International products. I would have liked these white Oliver prototypes.  White prototype engine with Rear timing gear train and frame notches already in the very early 70s. Two speed power shift  and synchro Tran like the  88series and they had a IVT trans mission in one. It just goes to show other companies were outside the box also.

A55BBE6E-6E80-47C6-B42D-C5B7CE9E4D54.png

That's a sharp looking tractor. 

Friend of mine told of taking a tour of the Deere plant (in Waterloo, I think)  back i '71..

.Said the tour guide admitted Deere's biggest mistake at the time was to not have built a 4320 power shift.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Friend of mine told of taking a tour of the Deere plant (in Waterloo, I think)  back i '71..

.Said the tour guide admitted Deere's biggest mistake at the time was to not have built a 4320 power shift.

I've read on the Internet that a couple 4320 PS have been built from spare parts.  BTO that put me in his brand new 4320 SR with three hours on it stayed away from PS like it was the Plague!

• Like 1

I always said that in the 1970s they should've built the 1866 which would've been a two wheel drive 185hp row crop tractor with the DTI466 as the powerplant cause Deere had the 6030 and Allis Chalmers had the 7080 I never could figure out why IH didn't jump into that horsepower range way before the 5488

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hydro70 said:

I always said that in the 1970s they should've built the 1866 which would've been a two wheel drive 185hp row crop tractor with the DTI466 as the powerplant cause Deere had the 6030 and Allis Chalmers had the 7080 I never could figure out why IH didn't jump into that horsepower range way before the 5488

Interesting question. I know that most companies would look at the market share they could expect and if it isn't there they don't do it. Kinda like the Kamatsu 575A is the worlds largest dozer. Cat stopped trying to top it because there just are not enough customers for super big dozers like that. In fact due to lack of sales they may stop making one that big.

Rick

10 hours ago, Steve C. said:

I think the mistake was the 4320 not coming out sooner.  It could have been a big home run for JD had it come out a few years earlier.  

A farmall hv ac is a c with air conditioning and a vent and heater , fantastic 

656 hydro with modern four wheel drive...

• Like 2

As mentioned before the, 5388. All the technology was there, just not the cash.

And the 1406, IH could have been ahead by more leaps and bounds than they already were.

A SM with 6 cylinders. Not knocking my M's 4 bangers at all. I love 'em and will always have a few around. But, I have an Oliver 70 and that thing is so smooooooth!

• Like 1

Why 6 cylinders? Because 8 would be overkill😋

McCormick_Farmall_H_twin-engine_Tulare.jpg

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, dumbfarmer said:

Maybe they did build a 1406. They were sneaky and called it the 1256 instead. Lol....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hydro70 said:

We had two 1586s  and a 1566 and we had an Allis 7060. I can imagine the 7080 would ever compare anywhere near the 15xx model. Every Allis we had had 0% torque rise. Maybe the 6030 had them beat but not the pumpkin

• Like 1