Sign in to follow this  
ZachGrant

The cattle thread

Since the forecast says we may see mid 90's this coming week I thought I would throw up a pic of "cooler" times.¬†ūüėčūüėĀ

63206914_cowsndogs.jpg.fbc491dfaccef14887e874d5ef2e6985.jpg

• Like 4

Well, I pregged fall cows and weaned fall calves Wednesday. Preggin' didn't go so well. 18% open. Not a good year but vet says herds have been running 35% with one big herd 65% open. It was 4,5,7,8,9,11,13 year olds, so spread across age groups. The cows over 10 don't bother me so much as they are needing to go down the road anyway but it  hurts to take them out of the middle of the herd. "They" say fall cows are tougher to get bred than spring calvers. I dunno, I've always had pretty good luck usually running around 8 - 12% opens. Some years are like this one I guess. Just keep a few more heifers back. I can't complain, cows have been pretty good to me over the years. 

On the flip side the calves weaned real well. All came up to eat pellets out of the bunk on the first day, were real quiet and not spooky at all. Oh, they hollered for momma the first night and the next¬†morning but it is quieting down out there now the cows are ready to go back out to pasture probably this weekend. The dogs were happy, they always like it when I am doing something with cows or calves and all I have say in the morning is "lets go feed calves" and they about push me out of the house.¬†ūüėĄ

• Like 3

I had a tough breed up here as well this year. 16% open and generally have been under 10% and many years around 5%.  Between that, the late spring, and the poor haying weather as of lately our year isn't off to the greatest start but it is what it is and things will turn around soon enough. 

• Like 1

IMG_20190701_065746639.thumb.jpg.93512b2270e41eccc72a1a3af45878fb.jpg

This was the start of a very long morning. Landlords cows are red mine are black this guy is obviously neither and to top it off has a raging case of pinkeye so was blind on one side. Neighbors bull that he couldn't get out last fall with his cows so left him to winter by himself on the river. Neighbor couldn't make it so hired my youngest to help me get him to my Corral's so he could be trailered home. After we engaged him there was no time to take pics. He was one wild mean SOB. We had to get him out of landlords cows (tried taking a group of cows with him he showed no interest) then out of a water hole, through two empty pastures a third with more cows all the while he would turn and take us, many too close calls. We finally got him into my corral pasture where he backed into a fence corner and it was too dangerous to try to get him out. We decided to go get 6 of my cows to lead him down home canyon and into corrals. We ran him down alleyways closing Gates and peeling off cows till we got him and one cow to the trailer. Bull jumped in son pulled cow back and slammed trailer gate shut. Neighbor said if we couldn't get him he would come next day with three horses and a dart gun with Rompum. No need, son and old fat man got er done. It took a couple of hours for my adrenaline to go down. Meanest bull I've ever had to put somewhere he didn't want to go. A nod to the man upstairs was in order and solemnly given. Another half hour and I'm parking the truck and in a cooler in the back of my pickup is something cold and well deserved and you bet yer a** I'm having a couple on the way home.ūüćļūüėÄ

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

IMG_20190701_065746639.thumb.jpg.93512b2270e41eccc72a1a3af45878fb.jpg

This was the start of a very long morning. Landlords cows are red mine are black this guy is obviously neither and to top it off has a raging case of pinkeye so was blind on one side. Neighbors bull that he couldn't get out last fall with his cows so left him to winter by himself on the river. Neighbor couldn't make it so hired my youngest to help me get him to my Corral's so he could be trailered home. After we engaged him there was no time to take pics. He was one wild mean SOB. We had to get him out of landlords cows (tried taking a group of cows with him he showed no interest) then out of a water hole, through two empty pastures a third with more cows all the while he would turn and take us, many too close calls. We finally got him into my corral pasture where he backed into a fence corner and it was too dangerous to try to get him out. We decided to go get 6 of my cows to lead him down home canyon and into corrals. We ran him down alleyways closing Gates and peeling off cows till we got him and one cow to the trailer. Bull jumped in son pulled cow back and slammed trailer gate shut. Neighbor said if we couldn't get him he would come next day with three horses and a dart gun with Rompum. No need, son and old fat man got er done. It took a couple of hours for my adrenaline to go down. Meanest bull I've ever had to put somewhere he didn't want to go. A nod to the man upstairs was in order and solemnly given. Another half hour and I'm parking the truck and in a cooler in the back of my pickup is something cold and well deserved and you bet yer a** I'm having a couple on the way home.ūüćļūüėÄ

........how are those knees   ??!!!      .........bet they got a workout .....

Mike

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, mike_newman said:

........how are those knees   ??!!!      .........bet they got a workout .....

Mike

Knees are really pi$$ed at me right nowūüėā

14 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

https://www.drovers.com/article/americas-top-25-beef-cow-counties-page-2

My county slid in at #5 for the amount of beef cattle in it. They must stack them 3 high in sandhillers area!

Looks like Cherry County Nebr. is holding strong at #1! To be fair, we are a fairly large¬†county. There are times when you can look around and not see a cowūüėč. They always said there were more beef cows than people here, I think that's still true.¬†

Nebraska has the top 3 counties yet has less total head in the state than Missouri which has no counties on the list. 

51 minutes ago, WishIhada1466 said:

Nebraska has the top 3 counties yet has less total head in the state than Missouri which has no counties on the list. 

Yessir, Missouri has Nebraska beat by 100K beef cows¬†or so. Cherry County is predominantly a grass county and pretty big comparatively. I believe we rank 44th nationwide with @6000 square miles Some misplaced¬†farming but mostly grass. (God's own Cow Country)¬†We will get you on total cattle (2nd behind Texas) thanks to our many feedlots being in close proximity to our exceptional grain farmers. I guess we're tied at one and¬†one???ūüėĄūüėč

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Yessir, Missouri has Nebraska beat by 100K beef cows¬†or so. Cherry County is predominantly a grass county and pretty big comparatively. I believe we rank 44th nationwide with @6000 square miles Some misplaced¬†farming but mostly grass. (God's own Cow Country)¬†We will get you on total cattle (2nd behind Texas) thanks to our many feedlots being in close proximity to our exceptional grain farmers. I guess we're tied at one and¬†one???ūüėĄūüėč

Given the choice I would sure like to move back to Nebraska again. Its different cow country than here. Around here there isn't the wide open spaces. I think one of the reasons there are so many cow herds in Missouri is everybody and their brother has at least 5 or 10 cows including myself. Dont get me wrong there are some large operations. My neighbors run around 700 head. I still miss Nebraska though.

4 hours ago, WishIhada1466 said:

Given the choice I would sure like to move back to Nebraska again. Its different cow country than here. Around here there isn't the wide open spaces. I think one of the reasons there are so many cow herds in Missouri is everybody and their brother has at least 5 or 10 cows including myself. Dont get me wrong there are some large operations. My neighbors run around 700 head. I still miss Nebraska though.

I remember the pics you posted of where you lived. Very pretty country, the NE corner.

steer earmuffs.jpg

• Haha 3

Just a pic of my calving pasture. Fall cows are calving now. Plenty tall grass to hide their babies inūüėĄ

IMG_20190813_114528644_HDR.thumb.jpg.83e94d9ce7ea0f4b439acb3943d23884.jpg

• Like 3

Hiller. Yep they can get snorty if you catch them on a bad day. I had a bull that was grazing the BIL's corn stubble one winter. He was the only one in that corn field. Since they are herd animals, that may have been the problem. I took the 4-wheeler to round him up. He wanted no part of me. It's a good thing I was not on foot. He was usually good dis-positioned. Don't know what got into him that day, but he was on the hunt.

The worst I saw, wife's uncle had a bull get out into the neighbors corn. He called and wanted some help before he did to  much damage to the corn. He'd have been better off leaving him there and paid the crop damage. It was about 95 degrees and I'm sure that contributed. Uncle had a new Chevy truck, That bull came charging out of the corn field, head down and hit the passenger door. Backed up and did the same to the front fender, which buckled it into the tire so the truck wouldn't move. By the time he was done, I think the only straight piece of tin was the roof. When he finished, he headed up the lane and back home as if nothing happened.

Those two were just pissed off for one reason or another. In high school a classmate had a dairy with a MEAN Holstein bull. I understand they are notorious anyway. But I remember telling that he got out once and the neighbors wouldn't help get him in.

They just don't know their strength.  I had a 16' gate made out of 2" pipe.  I also had a Simmi bull that turned it into a U. And all he did was scratch himself. He just kind of leaned into it and kept scratching. I ended up driving over it with the 1256 to straighten it. Still got the gate and remember it every time I open  it.

6 hours ago, dads706 said:

Hiller. Yep they can get snorty if you catch them on a bad day. I had a bull that was grazing the BIL's corn stubble one winter. He was the only one in that corn field. Since they are herd animals, that may have been the problem. I took the 4-wheeler to round him up. He wanted no part of me. It's a good thing I was not on foot. He was usually good dis-positioned. Don't know what got into him that day, but he was on the hunt.

The worst I saw, wife's uncle had a bull get out into the neighbors corn. He called and wanted some help before he did to  much damage to the corn. He'd have been better off leaving him there and paid the crop damage. It was about 95 degrees and I'm sure that contributed. Uncle had a new Chevy truck, That bull came charging out of the corn field, head down and hit the passenger door. Backed up and did the same to the front fender, which buckled it into the tire so the truck wouldn't move. By the time he was done, I think the only straight piece of tin was the roof. When he finished, he headed up the lane and back home as if nothing happened.

Those two were just pissed off for one reason or another. In high school a classmate had a dairy with a MEAN Holstein bull. I understand they are notorious anyway. But I remember telling that he got out once and the neighbors wouldn't help get him in.

They just don't know their strength.  I had a 16' gate made out of 2" pipe.  I also had a Simmi bull that turned it into a U. And all he did was scratch himself. He just kind of leaned into it and kept scratching. I ended up driving over it with the 1256 to straighten it. Still got the gate and remember it every time I open  it.

They can be dangerous. Powerful and quick. I don't believe I was ever really scared of one until this white SOB and that includes younger years fighting bulls for a small stock contractor.

Only two times I really thought my number was up. To move him Chance would get his attention and I would come up on his blind side and hook the grill guard into his ribs behind his front leg. He would turn to hook me but I had the angle and could keep him off balance and moving forward. He would straighten out and I would pull away. Once he he caught his loose belly skin on my gun rack and I couldn't get away from him. We went like that for a ways with him butting my front rack with his head and tearing up my back fender with his hind leg and coming down to damn close to my leg. He finally jumped just right or something and come loose. The other time I came in to hit him behind the front leg and he heard me and spun quick. He had the angle this time. I turned but he hit the front tire and pitched me up into the air. I didn't go over but I think I was on one back wheel. Not sure, happened pretty fast. I came down and his head brushed my leg and he hit the back tire and almost flipped me again but I got away. Getting too old for this sh!t.

Friend of mine had a young bull get him down in the corner of an alleyway. Broke his pelvis, some ribs and tore up both knees and a shoulder. Retired him at 55. He can walk but can't do much work. He is getting new knees and hip.

"They just don't know their strength."

I had an Augus bull that liked to push things around. One day I was bush hogging with the JD2355 MFWD with a 245 loader on it. Whole combination weighs about 10,000. Bull was standing in the pasture facing me and didn't move as I edged up to him. Loader bucket was up about shoulder high on him. When I stopped, he put his forehead against the cutting edge and pushed the tractor back about 300 feet to the end of the pasture. Then, I eased out on the clutch and backed him up that whole distance again. Then, when I pushed the clutch in, he started pushing. We went about half the distance that time and he finally gave up and went bucking off into another pasture. Talk about being BULL headed, hahahaha  One other time I had cut up a 36" Maple log in the pasture and left the big "cookies" standing there.  The next day it rained and in the afternoon I heard a big "thwop" noise, then another and another. That bull was pushing over the maple pieces and when they hit the ground, would buck around in a circle. I laughed until I could hardly see.  Another time I heard a noise up in the pasture where I keep a lot of equipment. That big rascal was playing with my 8' 3 point scraper blade and had managed to get it up on his back. He was in the process of trying to throw it off when I saw him.  One other time he bashed in the fender of a junk truck I had, I think because the fender was shiny enough for him to see his reflection. Or, maybe just because he could. When he started chasing my wife on her horse, that was the last straw and he went down the road. He did throw some of the best calves I've ever had and consistently about 90% bull calves.

• Haha 1

..a little story   about a bull,,,,,not as good as "yellowrose farm" or the other two amusing  stories  ......  If you go to the Trucking Forum......there is a bunch of pictures under the thread title..."Troll for the site"......among the   truck  pictures I  posted   is a R model    Mack......pulling a load of logs , across  the Anatori River , in North west Nelson ........The lead   time for a return trip was about five hours.....so...on the  R models maiden voyage  from Nelson      ......as it was heading down a big wide  valley, through a  reasonably intensive dairying    area..... a large bull...of  dubious  genetic   origin........some  100 yds or so   from the tar top   road.........took an instant  dislike to the truck, and thundered towards it  .....finally  straight through  the eight  wire road fence and hit the Mack 's front left mudguard   a serious blow......The driver  had seen this bull coming ..sort of towards him at a angle......never slowed down.....for obvious  reasons...and was shocked when the bull , via the road fence hammered into the truck.......Driver stopped   down the road  a little.....bull was not feeling to good, so driver went to the farm  and the old cockie   was a bit shocked  also.....the bull survived......and the truck arrived back in Nelson......with the driver  having to explain this almost unbelievable  yarn about the bull damaging   mudguard and  passenger door etc   on brand new truck.....   At that stage I was part owner of that particular Mack....so....believe  me....true  story  :mellow:

Couple of pics of feeding a small mob of mixed age cattle.......Black oats, doing a bout   2.6   tons of dry matter per hectare.......plus baleage   on daily basis......Bit of a pain  shifting electric fences every day.......but good for my new Indiana made  knee joint.......(Yes sandhiller..have you got any of your knees  replaced yet...??????!!!!!! )

Pig picture taken out of the 5130 cab window.......I am no longer allowed to shoot the pigs.......(this is a lease block....).....the almighty  dollar has won that round.....one bloke paying to hunt them......note the reddish colour...no NZ   wild pigs were ever that colour......the old trick of liberating young domestic   , female pigs......keeps the hunters in work.....sigh

Mike

..plus a couple for Ray 54......friends   farm about 30 k from us......Autumn    pasture

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks Mike I need to know what green grass is. 107 F  here today, 2 months before we can think of rain but could be much longer. Weaning the calves from the picture in the Sweet Corn thread. Put rainbird sprinkler in the pen that covered a 1/4 or more calves seemed to like it.

The wild boar,ūüėĶ¬†(there just more hogs to me) look just like the all colors you find here. My son put one in the freezer today.

Very rare to have hunting privilege go with land rent anymore here. Back when I was a kid most times was not thought about, just hunted if you wanted to as the renter of land.

Mixed set of twins ( heifer is not fertile 90% of the time) . Kids want to raise them

IMG_20190419_190936832_TOP.jpg

IMG_20190414_163219827.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 88power said:

FB_IMG_1565900158403.jpg

Ok I'll have to charge the youngest. She tamed "Red" at a young age. When she was in the heifer barn she had not been lead in six months or so and Ellie stood at the headlocks and called Red. She stood up and walked over to the headlocks

IMG_20190809_192658171.jpg

IMG_20180809_190430921.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bitty said:

Ok I'll have to charge the youngest. She tamed "Red" at a young age. When she was in the heifer barn she had not been lead in six months or so and Ellie stood at the headlocks and called Red. She stood up and walked over to the headlocks

IMG_20190809_192658171.jpg

IMG_20180809_190430921.jpg

Sounds like you got a trainer so you can go public

I have to refine my video skills

• Like 3