Jump to content

The cattle thread


ZG6E
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Bdse25 said:

Haha believe me after two hours of fighting trying to work him back through i wasn’t sure

 Two hours??   You’re a very patient man!   If I worked on that thing for two hours I’d be eating Burgers!!   ??

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

 Two hours??   You’re a very patient man!   If I worked on that thing for two hours I’d be eating Burgers!!   ??

Well the picture I posted was from my aunt with the text “ how does he get his head out” needless to say the answer involved a dewalt cordless grinder?‍♂️   In my defense I tried everything else first

Link to comment
Share on other sites

U

2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Good reason to have hornless cattle.......

Unless you're raising longhorns for the breed. We check for horns at branding and if there's buds, they get burnt with the horn irons. Pretty much 100% effective.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

U

Unless you're raising longhorns for the breed. We check for horns at branding and if there's buds, they get burnt with the horn irons. Pretty much 100% effective.

We used black bulls on black cows forever and the first year we switched to a Hereford bull (maybe 9-10 years ago) forgot all about horns at branding time. We ended up using scoops at weaning. I won't forget to check again! 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I'm pretty much a big timer I now have more than 1 cattle, I have 2 now, and a goat 

20190504_152629.jpg

20190504_141901.jpg

I'd hope for your son's sake that the calf keep it's back end away from his head or else he'd be coming home green

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 88power said:

I'd hope for your son's sake that the calf keep it's back end away from his head or else he'd be coming home green

That's not a headrest in the picture, it's a poop shield??

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

I'm late to the party as usual, but here is my latest heifer calf. I raised her momma who was out of an all black cow that I bought and bred to a Hereford bull. This calf was sired by a registered Angus bull. It always amazes me the way the colors come out.

 

Tell me about, we just had one show up Tuesday morning.......pure Dunn mini Dexter bull, mother was a miniature Dexter/mini Hereford cross that was black and white......calf shows up, bull and he is 100% Dunn, would have never guessed that outcome before hand.  We have had small calves here, but this one is tiny.......I honestly didn't even know she had it even though she was due, I was opening up gates and thought it was a big crap pile, went by it and was blown away it was a calf......at first thought it was still born, but once I kneeled down it jumped up.  So far calf and new 1st time mom are doing well.  My wife named this one......"Shrimp"

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

I'm late to the party as usual, but here is my latest heifer calf. I raised her momma who was out of an all black cow that I bought and bred to a Hereford bull. This calf was sired by a registered Angus bull. It always amazes me the way the colors come out.

From Bills iphone 5-19 023.JPG

We run black Angus bulls and one black limo bull. Cows are all half black Angus, some are pure black. We had probably half red calves this year so far. Some are a real nice dark red. You just never know what the calves will look like lol. I really like calves from a Hereford cow and black bull. There's just something about the black and white face lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, db1486 said:

We run black Angus bulls and one black limo bull. Cows are all half black Angus, some are pure black. We had probably half red calves this year so far. Some are a real nice dark red. You just never know what the calves will look like lol. I really like calves from a Hereford cow and black bull. There's just something about the black and white face lol

Or Hereford bull on Angus cows. F1 black baldies are a very good cross and make fine cows.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Or Hereford bull on Angus cows. F1 black baldies are a very good cross and make fine cows.

Yep- I just don't care for how big they can get.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couple heifers that we have for the pasture they are doing pretty good and growing well. This was my first year on buying one of the heifers myself, (the calves that have been on the pasture in years past were my grandpas) the one on the right with no eartag is mine the other is my grandfathers. We will have these till the fall when they are sold off and go to a feedlot to be finished. 

A1FE40D4-F30C-4B9F-83D2-181E53A8A7D5.thumb.jpeg.011f6b40d8afd6d80d42c0deaffdda38.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Couple heifers that we have for the pasture they are doing pretty good and growing well. This was my first year on buying one of the heifers myself, (the calves that have been on the pasture in years past were my grandpas) the one on the right with no eartag is mine the other is my grandfathers. We will have these till the fall when they are sold off and go to a feedlot to be finished. 

A1FE40D4-F30C-4B9F-83D2-181E53A8A7D5.thumb.jpeg.011f6b40d8afd6d80d42c0deaffdda38.jpeg

 your grass looks good, ours is slow to start but is coming on finally. The heifers look nice also. Next step instead of selling them is getting them bred and starting a small cow/calf herd?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sandhiller said:

 your grass looks good, ours is slow to start but is coming on finally. The heifers look nice also. Next step instead of selling them is getting them bred and starting a small cow/calf herd?

Thanks sandhiller, as for the grass last year we started irrigating about this time and this year we thought the same. But we’ve had so much rain that it’s been a good thing for it. I think another big thing is mowing it in the fall to get all that grass seed back on the ground for the winter. 

I’d like to have a cow/calf herd thing is we live on 5 acres and the pasture is a little over 3 acres. So not much space. Maybe someday I’ll get one started. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of out comes...........picture of the one out of a dexter/hereford that was bred by a dexter bull.......miniture of-course.  Can't tell in the picture, but its so small.  My wife called him "Shrimp".   Never would have guess the color there.

Wendycalf.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted back in May about a heifer that calved early (I normally start first week in Aug) because of a neighbors sneaky bull. Well, he made at least one other trip across the fence. Funny thing is these two calved in a section (640A) pasture a day apart and within 50 feet of each other. All is good and that is two first calf hfrs out of the way. ?

6-9-19.jpg.0e74a1ab2979a53c81307fc533dbb974.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw this across the fence today when I was putting out salt. Nice to know there is a coyote killer in the neighborhood ???

IMG_20190612_122939561.thumb.jpg.704762dc6b12d3b036cfc77fe3fb0f85.jpgjust a note of interest, those wires you see are old telephone lines that used to run from ranch to ranch. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...