The cattle thread

ZG6E

8 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Insane prices here on fat cattle, culls, and feeders.  I'm not sure it is sustainable.

Yes high here as well. I heard last week was off a little. Of course I got a couple culls to send next week so they will really be down then. I have heard a couple people say these prices are here for the next year or even two. I don’t see where that can happen. Sooner or later someone is going to say I can’t afford that and either the packers or feeders will be losing money. With what it costs to raise them though I don’t think it will drop too much. 
NY sale barn below. 

FEC858AA-757F-40C8-892D-6F98BA08C19E.png

B1ACA21D-8797-4ADC-95E0-526FB14BABDC.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zleinenbach said:

Tear coming out of one eye because it's true.

Tears coming out of my other eyeball because that is the funniest thing I have seen in a long long time, keep it up Zach, humor needed daily 🤣

Branded fall calves yesterday.

Calves looked great today, always a good feeling.

Especially since I gave a Pasteurella to help with pneumonia.

In the past it has been a little hard on the young calves.

Very little blood on the "used to be bulls". Moon must have been right😄

Anyway, chalk one more thing off the fall to do list.

Good to see the j diamond j on em🤠

IMG_20231008_100310075.thumb.jpg.a24de780d68767781c5e46e3bb642a36.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, mike newman said:

...is this what you mean, Nick  ???:rolleyes:

Mike

IMG_9807.JPG

Yepper!! Ya also have to understand that the Herefords are extremely willing to just go where they are asked to go. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Ingenious or nutz

you decide

So did you get them all home? Next thing you know all the big ranches will have a fleet of drones and gather all their critters that way. I was disappointed when dirt bikes came into the picture, then 4-wheelers, then side by sides. Now it’s drones!! The poor old horse is just screwed out of a job!!

Honestly, that was pretty cool!!  How is it for scouting deer?😉

• Like 3

Just now, mike newman said:

...the way forward ..for a lot of back country  farming folk..........

Mike

Won't replace a good horse and dogs but as I get better with it, it may come in handy on the river

1 minute ago, Lazy WP said:

So did you get them all home? Next thing you know all the big ranches will have a fleet of drones and gather all their critters that way. I was disappointed when dirt bikes came into the picture, then 4-wheelers, then side by sides. Now it’s drones!! The poor old horse is just screwed out of a job!!

Honestly, that was pretty cool!!  How is it for scouting deer?😉

I would think deer would hear it coming before you could get very close, I would never try it as it is against the law and I would never break the law👼🏻

It was the first time I tried it on cows

Tired of these 3 cows getting in my meadow when there is way more grass where they come from

First time I moved cows in my bathrobe from my back yard😂

cowsareout.jpg.6e1d2ba5d951b93853a125b4e38b0e72.jpg

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, sandhiller said:

Won't replace a good horse and dogs but as I get better with it, it may come in handy on the river

...lot of them being used down under, Jeff....especially in the high country   sheep stations...bluffs  / gullies etc  can be so easily   scrutinized by these things.... Saves hours of foot slogging...

Mike

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mike newman said:

...lot of them being used down under, Jeff....especially in the high country   sheep stations...bluffs  / gullies etc  can be so easily   scrutinized by these things.... Saves hours of foot slogging...

Mike

Not sure will would happen when the cows figure out drones have no teeth

Mostly for spotting, the moving was just a lark

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Not sure will would happen when the cows figure out drones have no teeth

Mostly for spotting, the moving was just a lark

Jeff....our near neighbour    (  sheep and Beef   farmer...) up in the boonies brought a drone.....this was a bloke to which a ''pop up toaster ''  would have provided quite a challenge...

Across   the river ...about four hundred yards   away there was a very well endowed  female , living in a rented house .....and somehow on one of neighbours inaugural  flights with the new drone, it briefly hovered overhead in her vicinity , whilst neighbour desperately  wrestled with the controls   to bring it back ....

Female lodged a complaint  about ''harassment''  etc    but as she once had the unenviable reputation of being very gracious with hers favours.....you the ''town bike '' sobriquet ''  etc etc ..but as time has passed and I guess her spokes had got rusty  or whatever  thus she pursued the ''rightness indignation ''  act...etc ..but ...by then  neighbour had   crashed the drone    ..(it was always destined to happen...)..into,    as he said   ''  a manuka tree''  ...as evidenced from the camera on the drone...

''Which manuka tree ''??   she said ..Neighbour said ''Take you pick...there are about two thousand manuka trees on the place...""

Took him weeks to find the drone remnants  !!!

Moral   ...."'Be carefull out there , Jeff ""

Mike

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mike newman said:

Jeff....our near neighbour    (  sheep and Beef   farmer...) up in the boonies brought a drone.....this was a bloke to which a ''pop up toaster ''  would have provided quite a challenge...

Across   the river ...about four hundred yards   away there was a very well endowed  female , living in a rented house .....and somehow on one of neighbours inaugural  flights with the new drone, it briefly hovered overhead in her vicinity , whilst neighbour desperately  wrestled with the controls   to bring it back ....

Female lodged a complaint  about ''harassment''  etc    but as she once had the unenviable reputation of being very gracious with hers favours.....you the ''town bike '' sobriquet ''  etc etc ..but as time has passed and I guess her spokes had got rusty  or whatever  thus she pursued the ''rightness indignation ''  act...etc ..but ...by then  neighbour had   crashed the drone    ..(it was always destined to happen...)..into,    as he said   ''  a manuka tree''  ...as evidenced from the camera on the drone...

''Which manuka tree ''??   she said ..Neighbour said ''Take you pick...there are about two thousand manuka trees on the place...""

Took him weeks to find the drone remnants  !!!

Moral   ...."'Be carefull out there , Jeff ""

Mike

Thanks for the warning Mike

Although I get unsolicited ads saying there are many gorgeous women within 5 miles of my location just dying to meet me😍

I have yet to find even one with my drone😪

• Haha 8

5 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

Looks like those 3 are getting better with the drone also.

Or did you edit out the dog?😀

LOL, no, my border collie is to old and my healer is too fat to run that far😄

• Haha 2